Thread: Buffalo Steak

Default Buffalo Steak

Dinner this afternoon we went "out" to eat. We sailed across the lake, in between thundershowers, to a nice stand of white pines and built a fire. We stretched a tarp in case of rain, but we had just enough time between rain showers and we never got wet.

Three of us in the canoe was a load, with all the sailing rig, but the cedar strip held up nicely, and we had no mishaps.

The Videlia sweet onions were available in the store, and I got several. For supper, we sauteed green peppers, mushrooms, the onions, vine ripened tomatoes, and steak in olive oil and red wine over hot coals.

It was a great meal, and the ambience of mourning doves cooing in the trees and loons laughing and Canadian geese honking over the water just couldn't be beat.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Sounds ideal.

I have only had bison burgers over here. Quite expensive.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

A fellow up in Brimson (back in the sticks) has a herd. Can't keep them in a fence. Every once in a while one gets hit by a car.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

There's a farm shop up by Crianlarich sells Bison steaks and other "Exotic" meats, never been able to pass it without buying some "Buff Steaks", IMHO they taste even better than Venison

Wink Veggie has a say

I'm a veggie but it still sounds like a great little trip.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Default Whats Gala & egg pie I hear you say

Hi Pierre

Sounds excellent. Ahhh food....my second favorite hobby!

As a slight contrast, I was out weekend on the Leeds Liverpool cannal, Adlington - Wigan stretch warming up for the Tay this coming weekend. Whilst paddling to the Wigan locks I past a pair of beautiful Mandarin ducks and eight ducklings, by contrast a mile further on was a wild black Mink. Stopped at the locks to savour my packed lunch, Gala Pork & Egg pie with Branston Pickle with a flask of hot tea.....mmmmmm heaven.

Best regards from over the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    A fellow up in Brimson (back in the sticks) has a herd. Can't keep them in a fence. Every once in a while one gets hit by a car.
    You mean a car gets hit by a buffalo.

A guy up in Kent county has a herd and he uses telephone poles as fence posts. A friend of mine witnessed one crack the telephone pole while just scratching his head. Another friend was entertaining some drunk city boys one night that wanted to go cow tipping. There was a plan to take then up to the Buffalo farm (they had never seen cows up close) to go cow tipping but it got canceled when they figured it would probably result in someones death.

I like buffalo but it is a bit dry if you are used to eating beef. For that reason I like to season it heavily.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Can I book a stand of white pines on your lake for two for next Wednesday evening - thanks. (I wish... - your style of 'eating out' Pierre sounds wonderful!)

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    Another friend was entertaining some drunk city boys one night that wanted to go cow tipping. .
    You colonials sure have some colourfull sounding pastimes Lloyd. I know I shouldn't rise to this one but there's an easy mark born every day - just what is cow tipping?
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Sounds like a fantastic trip Pierre. I'm still laughing about the BCUK competition prize of a 'meal out for two in the location of your choice', which turned out to be a couple of Meals Ready to Eat!

Quote Originally Posted by gwing View Post
    ......just what is cow tipping?
    Don't you know? Really, you've never lived until........ !!

The student halls I lived in in Newcastle were surrounded by fields, across which you had to walk to reach town. I reckon the cows that lived there must have been the most frequently 'tipped' cows in Britain. I swear they used to look even more nervous as it got towards November 5th!

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Cows sleep standing up sometimes or at least rest very peacefully; if you are dumb enough to try, you can sneak up on them and quickly grab one leg shoulder into them, and tip them over. Any farmer or farm boy for that matter would be horrified by anyone doing this to their source of income and might justifiably suggest that if city boys were to go cow tipping they should try the next farm over with the "big brown Cows" (Buffalo) which might probably result in their deaths; but would provide good stories for years to come.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...