Thread: River Clyde at Crossford 21st May

Default River Clyde at Crossford 21st May

When Dougie phoned me on Sunday evening and asked if I fancied a paddle on Monday, it took me all of, well, no time at all to consign all the little things I'd planned (shopping, eating, visiting relatives) to "later" and agree to join him on the Clyde in the morning.

We put in below the bridge at Crossford and poled up to this little rocky rapid-

Just as I'd almost got there, the prow of my canoe swung out, caught the faster water and spun me round. I hadn't the skill to stop it, so I ended up pretty much back where I started. Oh goody! I got to pole it again. It's not like I don't need the practice.

We portaged to the other side of the bridge-

Dougie kept telling me it would be worth it to run the waves under the bridge river left. I think he just likes carrying canoes .

Dougie played in my boat while I undertook the more important task of drinking coffee -

Unfortunately as we started to pole further upstream I lost control of the boat again and found myself heading sideways at speed towards the weir under the bridge. I managed to paddle back up to where we'd started, but my confidence had taken a bit of a knock, and so I poled from a high kneeling position for a while. This gave me a good feel for what the pole was doing without having to worry about balance. It also uses the wrong muscles and left me exhausted very quickly when trying (and failing) to make progress against faster-moving water. Dougie was making poling look really easy-

Eventually we paddled back to the slacker water and I tried standing again. Strangely when Dougie announced he was going to take pictures of me poling, I found I could make much better progress, and my confidence was suddenly much improved .

We made our return downstream, and I'll have to retract that remark about portaging. The waves were worth it!

We were on the water for about three hours, playing on a (maybe) half mile stretch of river. It was great. The only downside was that I had to go to work this evening with aching muscles. Not so bad really!

Thanks, Dougie, for a great day out!

Jim

Hi Jim,
    Thank's for the paddle today, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Although next time we do this section we'll miss out the portage but we'll still run the stoppers at Crossford Bridge again as they are a lot of fun.
    Nice pics as well, your new camera is giving good results.
    I've added some shots I took on the trip.

Strangely when Dougie announced he was going to take pictures of me poling, I found I could make much better progress
    Jim's right you know, as soon as the camera appeared...boy, you should have seen him go!!!

I'm going to have to get me a cool Tilley hat like Jim's as I ended up with a sunburnt forehead today...and please, no comments about receeding hairlines.

Many thanks for your company today Jim.

Cheers for now,
    Dougie

Fine Blogg

Looks good. But please don't rub it in that us lesser mortals have to work when the weather is nice.
    Chris

Not fair I have to work during the week. I want a job like Jim or Dougie's

Glad to see Jim getting some pole practise for the weekend
    John

I'm in the process of angling for a job that gives me 2 hour lunch breaks so that I can paddle or bike every day.................

but it might not come off, and if it does I'll keep very quiet about it so that you good folk don't get too upset ............... maybe
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Nice blog - stirs some memories.
    There is a sweet run down from Stoneybyres and, Long ago, there used to be a white water race which finished by the bridge at Crossford - I remember the first time the finish line wasn't marked so I just kept going - for about an extra half mile and then had to slog back upstream to the take-out.
    Happy days.

DougR, I remember doing that whitewater race 30+ years ago. Now that I am trying to remember it my memory has gone all hazy. I think the start was below Stoneybyres Falls but for some reason my memory says it finished at Hazelbank? I was at Strathclyde Uni. and a friend and I built 2 KW7s' as the Uni canoe club had a mould. Much less than £40 for them both.

jokipea

Default Two hours off

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1 View Post
    I'm in the process of angling for a job that gives me 2 hour lunch breaks so that I can paddle or bike every day.................

but it might not come off, and if it does I'll keep very quiet about it so that you good folk don't get too upset ............... maybe
    I shoud better keep quiet too, but this blogg inspired me and I spontaneously took a longer lunch-break to pole up the River Neckar. Now I'm back at my work - very relaxed...

Axel
    P A D D E L B L O G______________Bunděn er bŕtlaus mađur (Bound is boatless man)

"Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing" - Henry David Thoreau

Smashin blogg.The pair of you have been holding out you look like the experts you are.

Maggie
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

Thread revival....

I'm in the area this week and looking for some fun yet sensible water to play in. I can't find the/a put in in Crossford at all, guides suggest "left of the bridge" but in google maps that appears to be gardens. Can you shed any light please?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbing Ben View Post
    Thread revival....

I'm in the area this week and looking for some fun yet sensible water to play in. I can't find the/a put in in Crossford at all, guides suggest "left of the bridge" but in google maps that appears to be gardens. Can you shed any light please?
    Hi Ben,
    There is a put in about 30 metres upstream of Crossford bridge on the opposite side of the river from the village (river left looking upstream from the bridge). Park up on the entrance road to the now closed Valley International Park estate and follow the path (immediately on your right as you turn into the estate entrance) through the trees to the river and you will find a spot to launch. There is also a nice easy launch from the park (you can't miss it) at Hazelbank village approx 1 mile upstream of Crossford.
    Hope this is of help and have a good trip.

Dougie
    'There is magic in running water. Who does not know it and feel it ?'
    Ernest Thompson Seton

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    (river left looking upstream from the bridge).
    The idea behind prefixing a direction with 'River' is that it means facing downstream with the flow......

How hard can it be?