Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Like Button"

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Like.

But a yoof would say, "Like... er... Like, like!"
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    One "Likes" your reply.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Slow news day.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    Damn, rumbled...
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

The reputation system is now switched off. I always thought it would be used for positive feedback, like a "like" button but one member having discovered it has gone for the negative reputation option, awarding minus points to people. That's not the attitude I want the forum to be promoting so I have turned the option off.

It is sad that one of the people pushing most for a "like" button, when finding an alternative, has chosen to focus on an "unlike" option.
    John

A sensible move, in my opinion. I would also turn off the thread-rating system, which actually lets you rate a thread as "Bad" or "Terrible". There are a number of threads marked with one or two stars, i.e. either 'terrible' or 'bad' respectively!

Good move

Live Blog with Tapatalk

Default "Like Button"

I'm baffled again...

Seems like all of my above posts are now being agreed with.

"Why have a system that can be used in negative ways"

We don't now! Yippee

Live Blog with Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    I'm baffled again...

Seems like all of my above posts are now being agreed with.

"Why have a system that can be used in negative ways"

We don't now! Yippee

Live Blog with Tapatalk
    Now I'm baffled.
    John

Probably..

You'd have to read through the last 70 posts to not be baffled.

I said all along that a system that can be used in a neg way aimed at another member will be used as a weapon and it has been.

A year or so back a member was VERY upset indeed because another member used it as a weapon.

Anyway - that's it now. End of problem.

Still have the option to call all of your threads terrible though, If I wish..

I said all along that a system that can be used in a neg way aimed at another member will be used as a weapon and it has been.
    By you. And only by you. In the last year you were the only person to give out negative reputation. There have been 162 reputation comments given in the year. Of which 6 were negative, left by you. And the first was back in June 2013 so before this thread.

So now no one gets to give a positive reputation comment or add to anyone's score because you wanted to be negative.
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 6th-May-2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: got date wrong
    John

Hmmm - I'm not sure.

Anyway!

When we getting a like button?

Live Blog with Tapatalk

I'm sure. The admin panel has the logs.

And it make me less inclined to add any new sort of rating system. There seems to be no way to turn off the thread rating system or to change the star ratings or I would do that too.
    John

I'd best not and won't go into the politics of why?

I would not drag up names or post who has done what to who for whatever reason, because that's just not professional.

I have various problems with various customers and I NEVER talk about them openly with anybody.

It does prove that the the system can be used in political ways.

Taping the "like" button can't be!

Live Blog with Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    I'm sure. The admin panel has the logs.

And it make me less inclined to add any new sort of rating system. There seems to be no way to turn off the thread rating system or to change the star ratings or I would do that too.

We all know that you can rate your own posts so its meaningless anyway?

Live Blog with Tapatalk

because that's just not professional.
    And yet you felt it was a good thing to be negative to members when you could have just ignored their posts?
    John

I have rated my own everlasting blog twice now.

I have myself 5* and then 1* on the moved thread, just to see what happens.

Somebody rated my thread lower than 5 which put it on a 3* then I just rated the moved thread 1* which has taken the not moved thread back to 1*...

I know for a fact that others have taken from reputation but I will not name names, because that's bad practice

Live Blog with Tapatalk

I honestly cannot express how disappointed this has made me. I like to think in our little corner of the internet we can be better than this. I know that is unrealistic but it still depresses me when pettiness shows up here.
    John

And yet you felt it was a good thing to be negative to members when you could have just ignored their posts?
    John, lets not dig up that whole matter because it really will upset a fair few members. Some now have not posted for months because of it.

Live Blog with Tapatalk

I honestly cannot express how disappointed this has made me. I like to think in our little corner of the internet we can be better than this. I know that is unrealistic but it still depresses me when pettiness shows up here.
    Me too!

This whole debate has arisen because of a member going though all of another members blogs and rating them 1, which did upset that the blogger big time.

It happened over a year ago now. There was some very bad feeling left by the whole incident.

Live Blog with Tapatalk

That's the Thread Rating system, which cannot easily be turned off. And so your response was to go out and be negative to other members. You, like all members, had the choice to award positive or negative reputation points and you, pretty much alone, decided to go negative.

I say pretty much as since the forum started there have been 758 reputation ratings, of which 10 were negative. Of the 4 that were not left by you, one was left by me for Lloyd as he specifically asked to get negative rep to stop his positive record. One of the others was on a similar vein and the other two a while back and not for anyone you are thinking of.
    John

I have now found a setting to allow thread ratings to only show once they have three ratings. This will at least stop one person alone from being able to effect a thread rating.
    John

You're doing again boss!

Notice, I've named no names.... ?

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Like.

Well I certainly don't like what's going on here. I've only ever used the reputation feature to add reputation. I wasn't even aware that we could reduce people's reputation and for that I'm glad it's been removed.

If I have used the thread rating tool, it'll have been the few times when I (a) thought about it, and (b) liked what I read.

When YouTube first removed the ratings and only provided a thumbs up and down, I wasn't over the moon. One thing I don't like in Facebook (which I don't use) and Google+ (which I do) is that both systems only have positive feedback ("like" or "+1"). I use the thumbs down feature on YouTube to let people know I don't like some videos that YouTube may have suggested I watch. Some are cruel, rude, or just content I don't like so I'm glad there's a way for me to give that feedback. But here, on this forum, I've not seen much of that. I guess we're either a really nice bunch, or the moderators do a good job of removing it before I get to see it.

Whenever there's the ability to vote down content, there will be the odd person who abuses it. (The same happens on Stack overflow forums. See their discussion on Vote Fraud and Revenge downvoting) I personally feel that revenge down voting is not likely in our community here and would welcome a like and dislike button on threads/posts. Unfortunately this could mean more work for the moderators to find people being abusive (going through someone's posts and marking them all negatively). That sort of behaviour (revenge or abusive down voting) should be treated with the "two strikes and you're out" approach.

What we write is not often read with the intent and "mood" that we had in mind when those words were tapped into a keyboard, and if we offend we should be aware of it. What I'd like to see (see what I did there? ) is that we allow each other the ability to give positive and negative feedback, but that "bashing" another person by attacking their contributions should be dealt with in the strictest possible way.

No need for any rating system at all IMHO most of the good blogs and threads have loads on feedback and comments on them and tend to stay at the top of each section of the forum for a long time ... And overtime get bumped back up when someone finds them at a later date and wants some advice or just wants to say enjoyed that thanks for posting ...

And the same for threads that you don't like its easy enough to say not sure about that or your talking cobblers without offending a member at least then it all out in the open and not done in malice by some nameless troll ...

Love the site have got so much from it and to be honest I will always thank someone for posting a great thread or blog that I've really enjoyed ...

What we write is not often read with the intent and "mood" that we had in mind
    Exactly..

Unless the owner of the site is trying to muddy the name of another member

Quote Originally Posted by pipster3 View Post
    No need for any rating system at all IMHO most of the good blogs and threads have loads on feedback and comments on them and tend to stay at the top of each section of the forum for a long time ... And overtime get bumped back up when someone finds them at a later date and wants some advice or just wants to say enjoyed that thanks for posting ...
    I could live with that. I could live very happily with that.

Is that the virtual version of passive aggressive? Where you have a dig and then add a big smile?

Sorry Dave, you know I like you and what you do, but that's not making things better.

Exactly..

By telling the truth? By pointing out that while you were against the option of negative reputation you were in effect the only one using it?
    John

What we write is not often read with the intent and "mood" that we had in mind
    Exactly..

There has been much tongue in cheek banter on this thread. Most folk understand that. It is almost always between folk that have met each other face to face and understand each others character.

In the last few days I have used the reputation button for fun.. I disapproved a post by Rockhopper saying 'Smart ass' with a after it... Trev is a big boy and I am fairly certain that he did not get upset and saw the funny side? I f not, I am sorry Trev

Yesterday I did the same thing to Magikelly.. I have never met him and probably never will.. I should not have done it to a person I do not know. Great offence has been taken.

Maybe all banter should be banned!

By telling the truth? By pointing out that while you were against the option of negative reputation you were in effect the only one using it?
    Fun fun fun

Was fun intended when you left negative rep for me then ?

Hey - Marcus perhaps we shouldn't go into that ?

Shall we blurt out to all members why and what went on?

No, we shouldn't

Carry on,I've nothing to hide.

Yesterday I did the same thing to Magikelly.. I have never met him and probably never will.. I should not have done it to a person I do not know. Great offence has been taken.

Maybe all banter should be banned!
    I took no offence but it was what prompted me to have a look at the recent reputation posts. Anyway, I would suggest we leave it there.
    John

the forum is a platform for communication: for sharing information, asking questions, making plans for trips, sharing experiences etc. i don’t see how any kind of voting or liking can contribute to that - a simple “thumbs up” or “thumbs down” is just not enough content to be of any value.

fine for those who want to be able to say “i got more likes than anyone else” or are too lazy for any form of more genuine interaction but speaking for myself, if one of my posts got 500 likes and another 5 typed responses, i’d still prefer the actual responses.

to those who may be inclined to fight out their personal problems here: take it outside. nobody is interested in reading your digs at each other.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12