Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Like Button"

Default "Like Button"

Is there a "like" button you can press... for example if you like a comment or a photo someone has posted in a/their blogg? Also I have liked some of the comments people have written on my few bloggs and would like to "like" them

Dave

Arrgggghhhhhhhhhh! Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

If someone posts a photo or a comment that you like, then post a comment to say you like it, just as I have posted this comment to say I don't like your suggestion.

If you really like what they have posted, you can click on the star in the bottom left-hand corner of their post and thereby add to their reputation - adding a Private Message as to why you liked their contribution so much.

If someone posts a comment to say they like something you have posted, then post a comment to say thank you to them!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LET'S NOT GO DOWN THE FACEBOOK ROUTE! IT'S BAD ENOUGH HAVING A 'FRIENDS' SECTION WITHOUT BYPASSING ALL SOCIAL INTERACTION WITH A SINGLE BUTTON PRESS SHORTCUT!!!!

Just my opinion, of course.
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Funny - I was just talkng about the same thing in another thread yesterday!

I think it would be a better option than the current Star rating system, which enables members to anonymously rate another members thread as 'terrible'...

The star system was ditched on youtube years ago, for good reason.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LET'S NOT GO DOWN THE FACEBOOK ROUTE
    It was youtube who were the first.. Facebook just followed suit..

On twitter you get the option to add it to your favourites

Surely the best way to let a poster know that you liked his or her post is to type a post yourself to say so.

Clicking on a "Like" button basically means "I derived some pleasure from your contribution to the forum, but not enough that I can be bothered to write a post to say so."

Damned by faint praise!
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    Surely the best way to let a poster know that you liked his or her post is to type a post yourself to say so.

You're so right, but I meet plenty of people who comment face to face about blogs and say how much they love following them but they never actually post a comment.

If every member of this forum commented on every blog, then hyperspace would very soon become hyperlackofspace!

I've written a few blogs over the years, and I am sure that others who have written blogs will agree that they take some considerable time to write. It's very gratifying, therefore, to receive a reply to the blog from someone who enjoyed reading it, or enjoyed one or more of the pictures. However, I would rather have no comments at all than an impersonal, sterile "Like" count added to by people who aren't prepared/willing/able to tell me what it is about the blog that they liked.

If every member of this forum commented on every blog, then hyperspace would very soon become hyperlackofspace!

Exactly, so a Like button would solve the problem.

It's very gratifying, therefore, to receive a reply to the blog from someone who enjoyed reading it, or enjoyed one or more of the pictures.
    So, imagine how it feels if somebody gives you a one star, basically saying they think it is utter shXte!

Surely, Like button or not, we need to lose the Star system?

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

There is one already! At least it shows on my screen.

Nice comments are good, but tbh I would prefer cash.

"Fine words butter no parsnips."

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

What problem? There isn't a problem to solve.

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    So, imagine how it feels if somebody gives you a one star, basically saying they think it is utter shXte!

Surely, Like button or not, we need to lose the Star system?
    We might be talking about different things. I am not aware of a star system where we can give graded awards to posts. I am talking about the star in the bottom left-hand corner of a post, which - when you click on it - gives you the choice between approving or disapproving of the post and - if you wish - adding a message to say
    why.

What are you talking about?

I think I'm in a parallel universe. Over here we've already got all these things.

Crow Trip Log

Aha..

I am talking about the thread rating system, top right hand corner of each thread.

I think the star where you can add to reputation is not even noticed by most members. I use it sometimes, but it doesnt show up anywhere on a members profile so it seems pretty pointless.

I had never noticed the thread-rating system at the top of the thread. It is nowhere near as noticeable as the reputation button/star. It seems a bit odd to be asked to rate a thread, as you would have to wait until it was finished before being able to grade it!

The reputation star has the advantage of making it possible to comment on an individual post within a thread. It is post-specific and member-specific, which the thread-rating system isn't.

Default ??

What's this then??

Crow Trip Log

That's a Facebook like button sneakily invading SOTP.

The stars thing is a bit odd. Basically, some threads get 5 stars, the rest don't get any. I'm always grateful if blogs get stars, but comments are far more pleasing. An SOTP like button could well reduce comments and therefore I'm with Rockhopper on this one.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post

The stars thing is a bit odd. Basically, some threads get 5 stars, the rest don't get any. I'm always grateful if blogs get stars, but comments are far more pleasing. An SOTP like button could well reduce comments and therefore I'm with Rockhopper on this one.
    Mal and Crow your blogs are way past Gold Stars ; you guys like a number of the members have set a very high bench mark when it comes to blogs maybe a platinum star would be more appropriate

Ive tried rating posts with the Star system and it wont let me at all from my iPad for some reason but I will most certainly reply to the thread as well ...

Most of my inspiration and new found love of paddling stems from reading blogs on this site ... From My first trip to Loch Awe after reading a Blogg by Lloyd and my Spey trip after reading about Ray Goodwins adventures and my WW paddling from great blogs or vids from Matto Saniford Davy and again Mal and list goes on Crow pack raft adventures are a favourite along with Lynne's Tobey adventures and of course Bren Falcn and all the Go Pro bloggers ..

The Facebook like button for me is great as I can share a great blogg that I have enjoyed with my non paddling friends who are not members on this site ...

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

My fishing forum has a thanks for this post icon.. Along the bottom of the post is a list people who 'thanked' visible to everyone.

Or - some folk who are upset, rate a thread as 'terrible' by giving it a one star!

Is it right that any thread can be labelled as terrible by another member?? No!

It's also not right that you can detract from a members rep just because you don't like a post!

If a post is offensive or illegal or breaking rules then it should be reported, not graded by a non mod member.

With a like button, you either like it or not. Just an opinion, nobody gets offended..Simple.

Live Blog with Tapatalk

So how did a Facebook button sneak on here?

And doesn't that answer the OP's request?

Or - some folk who are upset, rate a thread as 'terrible' by giving it a one star!

Is it right that any thread can be labelled as terrible by another member?? No!

It's also not right that you can detract from a members rep just because you don't like a post!

If a post is offensive or illegal or breaking rules then it should be reported, not graded by a non mod member.

With a like button, you either like it or not. Just an opinion, nobody gets offended..Simple.

Live Blog with Tapatalk

I regard my one star threads as a badge of honour!

I see someone's given this thread one star now (not me) and one person "likes" it (me).

But by and large I agree with your comments there, Dave.

Crow Trip Log

The facebook thing on SOTP is only relevant to users of Facebook.

Live Blog with Tapatalk

Aha...

The silly thing is, you can rate your own thread, so potentially every 5* is a fix

Live Blog with Tapatalk

This thread is soon gonna be up to 3 + again

Live Blog with Tapatalk

Having looked at it for the first time ever, I totally agree that the thread-rating thing is meaningless. The 'reputation' button pertains to an individual post, and is therefore more significant than the thread-rater. However, I could quite happily live without either. If you want to see what someone's reputation is, you can't. You can only see relative reputations via a tortuous route in the "Community" section. Personally, I would just disable both systems and stick to typing comments.

I refuse to accept that something must be right just because YouTube, facebook and/or twitter do it!

Just my opinion, of course!

I am with Mr Rockhopper on this one.
    I too am not in favour of the 'like' button.

Paula (KP)

Both the reputation and the thread rating system are not widely used and as far as I know abused. Someone giving a thread a one star rating is still rating it higher than the threads with no stars so it is still a compliment. It is still a thumbs up, just a scale of small to big thumbs up. There is no thumbs down option.

As regards reputation points these do show to the member who receives them. It is not a great system and can be abused. I have left it active as it is not causing a problem but don't promote it much.

I can see the use of a "like" button for people who want to show they like a thread but don't feel they have anything to say. Like others I would prefer to see a post as it is more personal but there are times when I would probably use a like button myself.

That said I am not convinced there is a strong enough case to justify adding a hack to the forum software for this in case it causes other problems. We still have the Facebook integration switched off as it caused problems.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Someone giving a thread a one star rating is still rating it higher than the threads with no stars so it is still a compliment. It is still a thumbs up, just a scale of small to big thumbs up. There is no thumbs down option.
    According to the list you're presented if you click on "Rate This Thread":

5 stars = "Excellent"
    4 stars = "Good"
    3 stars = "Average"
    2 stars = "Bad"
    1 star = "Terrible"

So according to that, one and two stars are probably worse than no stars at all, and would pretty much count as a thumbs down. Hardly complimentary.

Crow Trip Log

True but the majority of threads have not even got to one star so how bad does that make them
    John

Well...

0 stars = "Worse than terrible"

or

0 stars = "Apathy reigns.... and I never noticed that button anyway!"

Depends whether you're a canoe half empty or a canoe half full kind of person, I suppose.

Crow Trip Log

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

If you really like what they have posted, you can click on the star in the bottom left-hand corner of their post and thereby add to their reputation
    AAhhh, that's what that button is for, I always wondered

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

Aha...

The silly thing is, you can rate your own thread, so potentially every 5* is a fix

Live Blog with Tapatalk
    Wooohoooo, thanks for that, now I know where I went wrong all this time

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

1 star = "Terrible"
    So every thread without a star is seriously, terrible beyond belief?

If the Facebook integration is switched off, how come I can see Crow's "Like" on my Facebook feed?

I view the stars thing as something along the lines of "if its got 5 stars it must be pretty good". For those who only manage to dip in and out occasionally, it may help identify the better blogs, and I suspect they get more views. However, sometimes blogs are 5 starred which, whilst entertaining, they're not different or unique enough to be 5 star. But it doesn't matter really. Anyway, I at least open pretty much EVERY blog at some point, so seeing stars isn't really relevant to me.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if adding 1 star to a blog also increases the views!

I am fortunate to have received reputation, but I'm afraid I don't think I've ever given reputation, as I couldn't see how it actually showed or did anything. I view it as a nice thing to receive, but wouldn't miss it. The comments are what means something, even just a couple of words. It shows people were interested enough to post as reply. Not that I think those who view but don't reply are necessarily uninterested, many folk just don't get involved but take enjoyment out of reading stuff. I reckon there's a ratio of about 10% replies to views or so.

OK, enough rambling, as I'm starting not to understand myself.

I can see the use of a "like" button for people who want to show they like a thread but don't feel they have anything to say
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post

5 stars = "Excellent"
    4 stars = "Good"
    3 stars = "Average"
    2 stars = "Bad"
    1 star = "Terrible"

So according to that, one and two stars are probably worse than no stars at all, and would pretty much count as a thumbs down. Hardly complimentary.
    I had better get cracking on your bloggs now I know the system

Being sort of an ageing anarchist, Mr MagiKelly, can I please have a little shiny red button to blow up the threads I don;t like? Of course only if its not too much hassle

Ah bummer, I give up doing video bloggs, just checked my blogging over the years and found, unsurprisingly, that not one of my bloggs has even got ONE tiny weeny star. Guess I am going to spit out my dummy some time soon now!!!

I view the stars thing as something along the lines of "if its got 5 stars it must be pretty good". For those who only manage to dip in and out occasionally, it may help identify the better blogs, and I suspect they get more views.
    And therein lies a problem. Are threads - note threads: not posts - deemed to be good because they have 5 Stars, or do they have 5 Stars because they are deemed to be good? How many members have to grade a thread as being 5-star before it is flagged as such on the forum? What criteria do those members use when awarding stars to a thread? Story-line? Photos? Venue? Participants? Uniqueness? It's not an exact science and I find it strange - having only recently found out about it - that a thread can be officially classified as 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5-star based on the personal opinion of a few members. It smacks of exclusivity rather than inclusivity.

However, sometimes blogs are 5 starred which, whilst entertaining, they're not different or unique enough to be 5 star.
    Precisely. It's a matter of an opinion being presented as a fact.

I am fortunate to have received reputation, but I'm afraid I don't think I've ever given reputation, as I couldn't see how it actually showed or did anything. I view it as a nice thing to receive, but wouldn't miss it. The comments are what means something, even just a couple of words. It shows people were interested enough to post as reply. Not that I think those who view but don't reply are necessarily uninterested, many folk just don't get involved but take enjoyment out of reading stuff. I reckon there's a ratio of about 10% replies to views or so.
    Indeed you have, Mal. You are right up there at the top, and deservedly so. It is because members have felt moved to recognise a post you have made, perhaps the start of one of your own threads, or a comment on someone else's. I have both given and received 'reputation' and have often attached a message saying why I awarded it, which goes directly to the recipient in his/her Private Message inbox.

There appears to be little knowledge and understanding of either system on the forum. Both systems have their faults, although the reputation system is better than the thread-rating system. I would happily see them both switched off, though, as they are both open to abuse, even if they are not being widely abused at present.

Last edited by Rockhopper; 30th-April-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
    Ah bummer, I give up doing video bloggs, just checked my blogging over the years and found, unsurprisingly, that not one of my bloggs has even got ONE tiny weeny star. Guess I am going to spit out my dummy some time soon now!!!

All together, now:

Warm kitty, soft kitty,
    Little ball of fur.
    Happy kitty, sleepy kitty,
    Purr, purr, purr.

Don't you dare stop posting your video blogs!

If the Facebook integration is switched off, how come I can see Crow's "Like" on my Facebook feed?
    The Facebook integration is where you can sign in using your Facebook credentials. The like button is just a shortcut to allow you to like this thread on your Facebook page.
    John

All together, now:

Warm kitty, soft kitty,
    Little ball of fur.
    Happy kitty, sleepy kitty,
    Purr, purr, purr.

Don't you dare stop posting your video blogs!
    Your comment is worth a million stars, thanks!!!

If someone posts a photo or a comment that you like, then post a comment to say you like it, just as I have posted this comment to say I don't like your suggestion.

If you really like what they have posted, you can click on the star in the bottom left-hand corner of their post and thereby add to their reputation - adding a Private Message as to why you liked their contribution so much.

If someone posts a comment to say they like something you have posted, then post a comment to say thank you to them!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE LET'S NOT GO DOWN THE FACEBOOK ROUTE! IT'S BAD ENOUGH HAVING A 'FRIENDS' SECTION WITHOUT BYPASSING ALL SOCIAL INTERACTION WITH A SINGLE BUTTON PRESS SHORTCUT!!!!

Just kidding...
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post

5 stars = "Excellent"
    4 stars = "Good"
    3 stars = "Average"
    2 stars = "Bad"
    1 star = "Terrible"

This should be changed to;

* Yay!
    ** F**K Yeah!
    *** Holy Awesome Batman!
    **** The force is strong with this one!
    ***** All hail to this post for it is King!
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Every day is a school day. I didn't know about the star rating system at the top right corner. But then I'm quite new around here........ahem.

I'm with Mal, in that I've received a few reputation comments but never given any. But now I know a little bit more about how the system works, I think I'll just continue to post positive comments when I feel like it.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

I've just learned something new about the 'Reputation' button (the little star in the bottom left hand corner) which further reinforces my view of what a daft system it is.

Someone had just posted a very intelligent and reasoned comment on a thread, which I thought I would approve of by use of the reputation button. I intended to click on the star, then click on the "I approve of this post" button and type "Spot on!" in the comment box.

However...

The software wouldn't allow me to add to this member's reputation, as the last time I dished out a reputation mark it was to the same person! I can't remember when it was. The pop-up message told me I had got to dish some reputation out elsewhere before I could give it to this member again!

How daft is that??

A simple 'like' button would solve all that..

Live Blog with Tapatalk

The emphasis being on "simple"!

Simple ideas are always the best.

Live Blog with Tapatalk

Not necessarily. Whilst it's true that some of the best ideas are simple, it's not true that all the simple ideas are the best ones. That the Earth is flat and that the Sun goes round it are two simple ideas!

Facebook uses your 'likes' to profile you so as to better target you with advertising, flog your details on etc.

No thanks.

However...

The software wouldn't allow me to add to this member's reputation, as the last time I dished out a reputation mark it was to the same person! I can't remember when it was. The pop-up message told me I had got to dish some reputation out elsewhere before I could give it to this member again!

How daft is that??
    It is meant to stop abuse of the system so people are not always just bumping their friends reputation. As I said it is not a great system but it has not been deactivated as it is causing no harm.

A simple 'like' button would solve all that..
    Or a simple reply button :-D
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    It is meant to stop abuse of the system so people are not always just bumping their friends reputation. As I said it is not a great system but it has not been deactivated as it is causing no harm.

I see the logic in that. The flip-side is that, before I can use the button to approve of that particular member's posts again, I need to give approval - perhaps gratuitously - to someone else first. I also agree that the system is not causing any ostensible harm at the moment, although it could if people start taking it seriously.

On another forum I've used occasionally, the same discussion happens. It seems quite a lot of folk simply type "Like" as a reply now...

Arrrgggghhhhhh! We humans are changing our behaviours to fit in with the machines we've made!

They warned us this would happen... and they're right!

The human capacity to complicate matters must be boundless. Take a simple thing like thank you or well done. With only a minimum amount of effort it can be turned into ratings, stars, likes, dislikes, awards, merits. With a bit more effort communicating through grunts should be possible.

although it could if people start taking it seriously
    It's happened. Folk have been upset etc...

Quote Originally Posted by poolebay View Post
    With a bit more effort communicating through grunts should be possible.

Teenagers have done it since time immemorial.

Arrrgggghhhhhh! We humans are changing our behaviours to fit in with the machines we've made!

They warned us this would happen... and they're right!

Like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast