Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New BCU Logo, er, canoe england... etc....

Default New BCU Logo, er, canoe england... etc....

Bit speechless at the moment......

http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/news...k-for-canoeing
    http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/medi...ing%20Logo.pdf
    http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/medi...anoe_Focus.pdf

Is that it will actually be that! England Canoeing will be part of Canoe England or vice versa. I don't think anyone has thought about this!

Looks like a red clothes peg next to text where someone couldn't decide which font to use.

I quite like the name change, but the logo... I just sicked up a little in my mouth.

That is the death of what used to be a "Union" for the members then!

it shows what a load of cack it has become.
    nature is m X-box

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

That's it. I'm going to join SCA!
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Wonder how much of our cash that cost!!!!

No England any more ... ... it's a bit like when the EU wiped Wales off the map.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Looks like it was 'designed' by the same crew that came up with that awful logo for the London Olympics!
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

There must come a time in any organisation when it becomes more obsessed with its own image than with its purpose in serving others' interests. At that point it's probably best to leave if you are a member?

The idea that we might all be "inspired", "enabled" and "excited" (as the folk behind "Canoe Britain" are) by a change to name, website design and an appallingly bad logo is hugely ironic. So sad that it achieves the polar opposite of what its delirious advocates hope for.

Keep away from the merchandising managers, I say.

My response as sent to "Canoe Britain"

Sorry but it is plain awful

• The logo is meaningless
    • The new cando look, all in pastel shades is hard enough to read with fair eyesight, for anyone with visual impairments it will be a nightmare !
    • Finally yet again a UK based organisation doesn't understand that Britain isn't just England (how does Canoe Wales relate to this ?)

Paul

Here's my interpretation of the new logo:

The logo is based on a shield-shaped Union Flag.

1. The flag (and therefore the Union itself) is in the process of disintegrating- shown by an explosion in the top left corner. Some commentators see this as a reference to highly disruptive disagreement between the organisation (BCU) and those it seeks to represent. But since the wavy blue section seems to be flying away and dislodging the other parts of the design in the upper left quadrant, I take it to show the violent dissolution caused by possible Scottish Independence (the blue being the background of the Saint Andrew's Cross).

2. In Scotland of course there is open access to the water. Perhaps in showing Scotland's departure, the logo is also referencing the expected and continuing state of access in England. Note how the central, horizontal bar of St George's Cross is a red gate, firmly closed and barring access to the water (which flows diagonally across the shield) for a lone paddler (see 4.) who is trapped on one side.

3. Upper right and lower left are to be seen two water-craft. My fancy has it that the top one is a kayak and the bottom one a canoe bow (both viewed from the top). Note how the stance is portrayed: nose to nose. This device establishes aggression as a matter of principle. Although there may be some dalliance from time to time between the two craft, they are natural enemies. Thank goodness the red gate is keeping them apart on their river of blood.

4. And what are we to make of the rest of the St George's Cross? That etiolated vertical red figure? It's obviously a human being, but one whose upper body has developed at the expense of the legs (poor dwindling things). Such is the proud silhouette of the dedicated paddler, the antithesis of the cyclist with bulging calves and Tyrannosaurus arms.

So, in total, as I understand it, the logo represents 1) dissolution, 2) discrimination, 3) disagreement and 4) disfigurement.

Its proponents though are excited, inspired and enabled by looking at it.

So have I just misunderstood what it means?

dave
    Last edited by Aero; 9th-April-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: took out a screamer (or pling).

Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    Here's my interpretation of the new logo:. . .

. . . (it) represents 1) dissolution, 2) discrimination, 3) disagreement and 4) disfigurement.

Its proponents though are excited, inspired and enabled by looking at it.

So have I just misunderstood what it means?

dave
    Fantastic, Dave
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Looks like it was 'designed' by the same crew that came up with that awful logo for the London Olympics!
    You're not a Simpsons fan then Fran?

Quote Originally Posted by John Saunders View Post
    You're not a Simpsons fan then Fran?
    LoL.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

That is actually the worst "rebranding" I can ever remember and I've had a few presented to me over the years.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Who cares really ? I know you'll say ... Ok for you pal, you are not stuck here with this load of idiots (and the weather) but everyone I read on here says how bad they are for normal members and that they only join them for insurance and canal passes.

I assume nobody will be buying the badges then ?

Is it impossible to arrange these in the uk without them ? Especially given a large interest group with a major forum ?

I'll go away now and stop being a pain ...
    Last edited by MarkL; 9th-April-2014 at 10:11 PM.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Nice to know our membership fees are being spent well! They talk about their canDo brand did no one tell them Kandoo is a brand for clearing up poo! http://www.kandookids.com

I think Aero summed it really well in his two posts!

I wonder whether the extensive research that went into the design of the logo included taking the logo out in the streets, showing it to people and asking them what they thought it represented. I wonder, had they done that, how many of Joe Public would have correctly guessed that it was something to do with canoeing! I further wonder how many of the subset of correct guessers would have been immediately inspired and enthused by the logo to take up canoeing.

A rugby team that I have a passing interest in recently spent - ok! Wasted! - a fortune on a rebrand, throwing out a long tradition in favour of a marketing consultancy's abstract brainchild. We all know what the fortunes of that rugby team have been like since the rebranding!
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

I've come up with a logo of my own for the BCU (or whatever) to use. I think it nicely represents their attitude to canoeists, and many canoeists attitude to them. If someone could finish it off by infilling it with a union jack motif I think it'll be ready to present it to them.

The "No Free Use Allowed" refers to the right to roam on English waters, a key objective for the BCU.
    Last edited by Chainsaw; 10th-April-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Fredster, also known as The Commodore.

That's not very family friendly Fredster. Please remove the image or I'm sure an admin will be along shortly to do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    That's not very family friendly Fredster. Please remove the image or I'm sure an admin will be along shortly to do it for you.
    Come on Bernie its hardly offensive Lighten up its just a bit of banter ...

It was the April edition of Canoe Focus it was announced, I can only assume (hope) it was an April fool.

I'm not exactly sure what it is trying to portray other than the Union Flag on a shield. I read the blurb that goes with it but it all sounds a bit wishy washy.

What was wrong with the old logo?
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Stop putting money in their bank account and they'll soon stop throwing it away on trying to "improve their image" by re-branding.

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what it is trying to portray other than the Union Flag on a shield. I read the blurb that goes with it but it all sounds a bit wishy washy.
    I imaging the shield is supposed to be a paddle blade, its just the triangle section that leads to the shaft is at the wrong end. They got it right with the paddle in the R, though I have no idea why the R is bigger than the other letters. Unless we are all going to be pirates. Arrrrrrr.

The old logo was sorta kinda outa-date, but well...

I got the feeling that if you change de canoeing into Rowing . it is equally good or bar perhaps better with that r....
    just hang on th the old , soon is will be retro hip
    Propper writing in English. How do you do that? with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language.
    Sorry for all the mistakes.

Well it made me laugh, till I realised that I give them money each year

Quote Originally Posted by pipster3 View Post
    Come on Bernie its hardly offensive Lighten up its just a bit of banter ...
    You're right that I need to lose some weight. I think we can be clear about how much we dislike the new logo and branding without being "obscene".

In Western culture, the finger (as in giving someone the finger or the bird[1]), also known as the finger wave, the middle finger, flipping someone off,[1] flipping the bird, shooting the bird, the rude finger or the one finger salute is an obscene hand gesture...
    Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_finger

By quoting the above I'm just indicating that it's not just my opinion that the gesture is offensive, but the generally accepted definition of the gesture.

Now, speaking of offensive (and getting back on topic) that flag and font fiasco...

Fair enough, apols to Bernie and anyone else it offended. The moderators removed it so it clearly wasn't just Bernie.

Would the two finger version be acceptable?

Fredster, also known as The Commodore.

When the BCU decided that the national associations would become federalised parts of BCU one would have thought that each would have equal status though it turned out that the relationship with Canoe England was a bit more equal than the rest of us.

This new set up looks like some are going to be even more "equal".

Perhaps "British" canoeing could now provide a cheap rate for the rivers and canal licence for those of us in the far north of Britain too.

"obscene"

What a load of cobblers The phrase is often reduced to simply 'cobblers', which is now considered an acceptable vulgarism

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/a...-cobblers.html

Quote Originally Posted by rancid badger View Post
    Stop putting money in their bank account and they'll soon stop throwing it away on trying to "improve their image" by re-branding.
    I was going to say "yep" ... But then realized this is absolutely nothing to do with me and i was happy about that ... Back in my box
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

British Cycling appear to have made a better job of a very similar logo.

John

I quite like the cycling logo! You can tell it's about cycling just by looking at it! Unlike the canoeing logo! It doesn't look like anything!

It reminds me of a visit the wife and I made to Newcastle a few years ago, during which we decided to go and have a look at a Damien Hurst art installation, entitled "Pharmacy". We waited in a line for quite a long time, to be allowed in in small groups by serious-looking attendants who spoke of the work of art in hushed, reverential tones. When we got in, it was like being inside a pharmacy: counters, cupboards full of medicines, cash-till, etc. We might as well have gone to Boots. When we got out, I had a brief chat with an employee concerning the cost of old rope! She pointed to a card on the wall, which, if memory serves, read "Damien Hurst's seminal work, "Pharmacy" fundamentally challenges our acceptance of what the men in white coats tell us.... blah... blah!" I pointed out that, if it really dd challenge our acceptance of what the men in white coats tell us, there would be no need to have a card on the wall outside the room telling us that that is what it did!

If the canoeing logo really did represent canoeing, it would never be necessary to have to explain to anyone that that is what it does. I fear there might be a need for quite a lot of explanation, though!
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Fair enough, apols to Bernie and anyone else it offended. The moderators removed it so it clearly wasn't just Bernie.

Would the two finger version be acceptable?
    Now I have to explain to my wife what I'm laughing about.

i have to agree with the general view that its a pretty awful logo, and the explanation bit is unadulterated rubbish, but i am confused....Does the fact that its now the 'British' canoe union ...whatever..... mean i don't have to join the wales one, which, cos i don't live in England, i have to now..., I rarely get across the border... but i'm sure i still live in Britain....
    The answer is blowin' in the wind......

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
    When the BCU decided that the national associations would become federalised parts of BCU one would have thought that each would have equal status though it turned out that the relationship with Canoe England was a bit more equal than the rest of us.

This new set up looks like some are going to be even more "equal".

Perhaps "British" canoeing could now provide a cheap rate for the rivers and canal licence for those of us in the far north of Britain too.
    Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    i have to agree with the general view that its a pretty awful logo, and the explanation bit is unadulterated rubbish, but i am confused....Does the fact that its now the 'British' canoe union ...whatever..... mean i don't have to join the wales one, which, cos i don't live in England, i have to now..., I rarely get across the border... but I'm sure i still live in Britain....
    British Canoeing, by it's name, now must have Britain as it's home nation ... it'd be pretty daft if it was, say Peru.
    You have to join your home nation.
    Difficult to argue that you aren't British just because you live in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
    So if you want the canal licence ... test the water ... be interesting to see how you might now be excluded.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Bit of a play on the PC ... any thoughts as to what this logo might represent? ...

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Union Kayjack?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    Union Kayjack?
    .... looked a bit unbalanced with a single blade
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    .... looked a bit unbalanced with a single blade
    I've heard folk say that about me..

I like it......................only joking! I think it's dreadfull it doesn't say canoeing to me and the Union Jack is the wrong way up, is that still treason?

Dave
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

Isn't the Union flag inverted a distress signal? Like when you've been captured by pirates and covertly are calling for help.

Not inverted ... distorted slightly (due to constructive paddler input) ... i.e. make sure you've not got a big red slash across it like a "No" sign ... but not inverted
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Potty... I think Dave was referring to the original post the new BCU/Canoe England logo. Not your wonderful creation.
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 20th-April-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teign Beaver View Post
    Potty... I think Dave was referring to the original post the new BCU/Canoe England logo. Not your wonderful creation.
    Ian ... mine is too fussy anyway ... a graphic artist should be able to produce something elegant & conveying the intended theme with a just a few strokes ... instantly recognisable either very small (i.e. in the corner of "business" cards) all the way up to large posters. British Cycling can easily do away with their words ... the message stays the same.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Too fussy.. Yeah I suppose so.. So that blows my idea of digitally replacing this guys pants with a pair of Union Flag ones and putting it forward as an alternative suggestion then..

Too fussy.. Yeah I suppose so.. So that blows my idea of digitally replacing this guys pants with a pair of Union Flag ones and putting it forward as an alternative suggestion then..

Go with it ... you can always get paddler feedback on here ... in the meantime I've added a pastel blue background to mine ... signifying erm ... water

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Water ..yes we like water.

Water ..yes we like water.
    Yep ... so we should be smiling ...
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

a graphic artist should be able to produce something elegant & conveying the intended theme with a just a few strokes
    They do, then you get the 'powers that be' not being able to decide on the direction they want to go in. quite surprised they managed to make a decision even if it is one that seems to go against everything to do with good design...

how about Quentin in a pair of union flag boxers?

I wonder as it is called GB Canoeing if they ask ed the other countries.....

http://www.underconsideration.com/br...p#.U17Y5Vcw-M3
    83% disapproval rating is the highest I have ever seen....

From UKRGB

I also didn't understand the thinking and symbolism behind the new re-brand and logo.
    So, I mailed Chloe Nelson at the BCU, who compiled the letter that accompanied the logo release.
    I, like most, hadn't been involved in any consultation, and neither had any of the paddlers or coaches that I know.
    Helpfully, she's clarified what consultation was carried out, and with whom.

Here's her response ;

"Viewpoints considered were; paddlers, non paddlers, club members, non club
    members, recreational canoeists. Mostly in the midlands areas.
    Small focus groups were run in October."

Just for clarity,

I'm confused. The BCU website and Wikipedia still have the old logo.

PS. This is a good thing.

Just for a bit of fun, why don't we all print off the logo, show it to our non-paddling friends and acquaintances and ask them what they think it represents. We could compile a list of their answers. It would be, I think, a very long list!

I'm confused. The BCU website and Wikipedia still have the old logo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Some organisation with an identity crisis
    Introducing the new brand will be a gradual process. We don’t want to spend thousands of pounds on redesigns & reprints so, for the next year or so, you’ll see both the old & new look. But this does mean we’ll be saving money & using resources where it matters – in helping people to enjoy canoeing!
    Alternatively they could have saved even more by not changing it.....

Surely any marketing consultant would have advised against a phased transition which weakens the brand identity?

Smacks of incompetence on several levels.....

How hard can it be?

Smacks of incompetence on several levels.....
    nuff said really!

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Missed this one. It's brilliant.

Are you sure this isn't a wind up? If so, it's very well done and hats off to the BCU bods for their parodic powers.

The geography in this bit does sound a bit confused. England is now Britain?

"To go with the new look the bCU will get a new name. The year
    2014 will be truly memorable for canoeing as the british Canoe Union
    has been synonymous with canoeing since 1936.
    in 2000 the bCU federalised with the three legally separate home
    nations associations; Canoe Wales, scottish Canoe Association
    and Canoe Association of northern ireland, plus two ‘divisions’ of
    the bCU; Canoe England and Gb Canoeing. The structure remains
    in place, but the two divisions, Canoe England and Gb Canoeing,
    will now come together to be known as british Canoeing"

And what a logo. It's a pure gem!

I love official bodies. Where would we be without them?

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Trouble is, they don't understand the difference between "Official Bodies" and "Officious Bodies".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast