Thread: First question before I make my mind up.

Default First question before I make my mind up.

Hi All,
    My first question (of many) is , how many scarf or butt joints can you make in one side and still retain the strength? Say I wanted 18 ft sides or bottom.

Thanks,
    Don

Technically a well made scarf joint will be stronger than the wood around it.
    What are you thinking to build and what materials are you wanting to use?

Rob.

Hi Rob,
    I am looking towards a smaller version of the Thames camping canoe. If it goes my way I am thinking along the lines of a canvas top supported by either aluminium or plastic hoops that can be slid to one side when the weather is good but in the case of heavy rain, would give shelter and if needs must, you would be able to sleep in it, and cook in it. This obviously wont be a light weight portable canoe and will have to have quite a wide beam for stability. Its something I have thought about for some time as it would make a canoe that was even more practical for holidays as you wouldn't have to have a campsite every night if you wanted a quiet, private night. With my kids it would give other campers a bit of relief too. Thanks for the info,
    Don

Hi dragon32
    I think what Rob was asking was what method were you going to use to build?
    Stitch and Tape plywood or maybe strip build with a glass and resin coating?
    whichever method you decide, a good set of plans for the hull would be useful, you can always modify to suit your camping requirements.
    I know there are blogs on here for camping canoes, just have to search for them.
    good luck with the build, and plenty of photo's, we just love photo's.
    Chestnut Bob
    Strip builds 2 - Stitch and Tape builds 2

Hi Chestnut Bob,
    Sorry I miss-understood the question. I am hoping to go stitch and glue and then full sheet on the bottom. I have looked around and I haven't come across any plans that suit what I want to do. I may have to design it myself. Plans, once complete, would be free to download afterwards.

Don

I don't think the number of joints is to important just as long as you stagger them, plus they look better that way when completed.
    Hind sight is always 20/20

Thanks Blackbird1100,
    I will bare that in mind.
    Don