Thread: Sleeping Mat.

Default Sleeping Mat.

Hi chaps,

I'm after a sleeping mat. Won't be doing any lightweight backpacking with it, so as long as it'll fit in the canoe I'm happy. I'm looking for something as comfy as possible, being a bit of an insomniac anywhere other than my own bed.

Probably don't want to spend more than about 50 on it.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers!

Alpkit, looks like they've only got the Base 180 or Aero 120 left - we've a Base 120 for one of the kids and it is a well made bit of kit although not particularly well padded.

I've been impressed with our 3no. ME Helium 3.8 and have no comfort issues with them - when I looked into it they seemed to offer the most bang for buck in terms of cost, thickness, weight and pack size. Not as tough looking as the Alpkit mats but tough enough.

Tons of options on the market within your budget - happy hunting

Choices, choices! I think the trouble is, it's a very personal thing - can't tell if you're going to find something comfortable 'till you've spent a night trying to sleep on it.

I like to sleep on my side, if that makes any difference. Not fussed on length, but something wide would probably be best.

Some of that Alpkit stuff looks good, but I want one of the sold out ones!

I have an expensive Thermarest for walking or kayaking but if I'm in the canoe or car I usually take a Decathlon A300 mat (for longer trips or total luxury, 2 (A300) mats and use them on top of each other). Not expensive, well made, comfortable and nice and wide.

I've never really been comfortable on a mat :-D ... more often than not these days I've been using the Aldi square mats as multipurpose items ... a changing mat to protect my latex seals & toes from the ground, kneeling mats in the canoe, seating at lunch breaks ... stick 3 together in a line, single sleeping mat, 6 for a double thickness or to make a double? I think I might cut a mat in half so that a double layer can have staggered joints. They are bulky but have other uses. For max comfort at a static base use them as an insulation layer under an airbed

Anyone ever put down a cheapy tarp as a footprint, then the foam mat(s), then the tent ... the ground sheet should keep the mat(s) in place so they don't move around, wouldn't matter if they'd got a bit damp/dirty from kneeling on them ... a good sleeping bag on the groundsheet, over the mat(s) and you should be just as comfy/toasty??
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

My standard long thermarest must be 21 years old sometime soon, never felt the need to sleep on anything else. You do need to experiment a bit with how much extra puff to put in, it can be too soft of too hard. Given that it cost around 50 back then, I dread to think what the price is these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    Anyone ever put down a cheapy tarp as a footprint, then the foam mat(s), then the tent ... the ground sheet should keep the mat(s) in place so they don't move around, wouldn't matter if they'd got a bit damp/dirty from kneeling on them ... a good sleeping bag on the groundsheet, over the mat(s) and you should be just as comfy/toasty??
    I'm sure I have seen ex-army bivi bags that had the sleeping mat sewn integral to the bottom - might have been in a pocket so it could be replaced?

I used to know a carpet fitter / scout leader who had a plush carpet to fit his personal tent....

How hard can it be?

Erm.... I know that its about twice the price of what you were aiming for but I've found my Exped SynMat 7 (MW) <medium wide> to be exceptionally comfortable and can't help but recommend it

They can be a bit awkward to get hold of in the U.K; I got mine here:
    http://www.outdoorfair.de/p-328-synm...VariantID=5139

The only thing that it needs to make it as comfortable as my bed at home is a decent packable pillow.

I use an airbed myself. Cheap as chips and roll up around the tent so take up virtually no space.
    As a matter of personal comfort I pump the pillow section up hard but leave the body section quite soft.
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

Give Carole a ring at Foam solutions I bought some minicell foam and a mechanics mat from her and found they make a lot of the matts on site I'm sure she would be able to make a mechanics in a larger size and that would be well comfy

They are based just outside Nantwich http://www.foamsolutionsuk.co.uk/contact-us-2-w.asp

Quote Originally Posted by pipster3 View Post
    Give Carole a ring at Foam solutions I bought some minicell foam and a mechanics mat from her and found they make a lot of the matts on site I'm sure she would be able to make a mechanics in a larger size and that would be well comfy

They are based just outside Nantwich http://www.foamsolutionsuk.co.uk/contact-us-2-w.asp
    I got my mechanic's mat from there too. They're only half a mile up the road from me.

One large enough to sleep on would be too bulky to carry in the canoe I think, but brilliant for camping from the car. And cheap.

I'm liking the look and price of the Decathlon A300 Neil mentioned.

Do yourself a favour and get an exped mat!!!

I have a down mat 9 which is superb but to be honest I prefer the syn mat 7 as it's a little lighter. I've tried quite a few thermarest mats including the neo air but the exped mats win hands down on comfort per lb and I've never been cold on one (check out the R values)!!
    To Canoe is to be moved!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead59 View Post
    Do yourself a favour and get an exped mat!!!

I have a down mat 9 which is superb but to be honest I prefer the syn mat 7 as it's a little lighter. I've tried quite a few thermarest mats including the neo air but the exped mats win hands down on comfort per lb and I've never been cold on one (check out the R values)!!
    Glad to hear you like the Exped stuff, as I've just ordered one of the (thinner) SIM mats from Tamarack. Been looking for something lightweight for bothy trips rather than paddling ones, but wasn't happy with paying 100 for a Thermarest Prolite.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thermarest trail lite...

I slept for years on Thermorests but bought an Exped Downmat 7 last year. I am now a total fan of Exped.

Try the ex army roll mats. Cheap as chips and make good kneeling mats in the boat or on the land and easy to wash and wipe clean.
    If I carry mine in a rucksack I put that in first as a tube like liner then stuff everything else in after makes a good protector.
    Hind sight is always 20/20

Gone and ordered myself an Exped Downmat 5. Only rated down to -12C. Will have to get a new one for Arctic expeditions.

Hopefully it's comfy... wow. The price.

Quote Originally Posted by Per View Post
    Gone and ordered myself an Exped Downmat 5. Only rated down to -12C. Will have to get a new one for Arctic expeditions.

If it's anything like as comfy as my Synmat 7 it'll be great. I've also just bought a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite for lightweight trips, it's surprisingly comfy for it's size and weight (about the size of a half litre water bottle and only 350g when packed). The Synmat will continue to be my choice for canoe trips and cold weather though.

Quote Originally Posted by Per View Post

I think you won't be dissapointed. They are really nice. I have had the downmat LW 9 for slightly more than a year now. Slept like a baby no matter where. I wouldn't like to carry it around hiking because of weight, but for canoeing it's great. Also for the occasional sleepover, I like it better than most beds.