Thread: Attaching side buoyancy bags to aluminum canoe

Default Attaching side buoyancy bags to aluminum canoe

Hi

I'm interested in adding some side buoyancy bags to my Grumman 17. The upper anchor points are easy - I'll just rivet pad eyes to the gunwales. I'm looking for suggestions regarding methods of attaching the lower anchor points for securing the bags to the sides of the canoe. In a Royalex boat, I'd simply glue on d-ring patches. What have folks done on aluminum boats?

Thanks,

Dave

One possibility follows suggestions by the West Epoxy system people.
    Bonding to aluminum using epoxy can be done consistently with high bond strength if you wet sand the bond area using mixed epoxy as the wet (instead of water).
    Sanding removes the aluminum oxide outside coating which is hard to bond to. Keeping epoxy on the surface while sanding prevents oxygen from attaching to the aluminum (almost instantenous when dry sanding).
    Don't remove the epoxy, just add more as necessary to make the joint. The sanded particles remain in the epoxy but do not intefere with the strength.
    This is a technique recommended for bonding on graphite fibers to stiffen an aluminum mast.

So just bond on the d-ring patch like you would on the Royalex.

Or you could just bolt through the skin. It isn't as though there aren't thousands of through hull fastenings already. I bolt through royalex for my side bags.

Thanks for the responses. I was away and I'm just getting back to the forum.

Looks like both West System G-flex and bolting would work. Dave - Point taken. Obviously, a couple more holes won't matter! Seems like a simple tab of nylon webbing bolted or riveted in place with a single fastener would work fine. Dave, what have you used in the royalex hulls?

Dave

We fasten a tape with a countersink bolt through the hull. We use a hole in the tape melted with a soldering iron to prevent it from unraveling, and then hold it down with a penny washer and nut. We put the nut so that the strap covers it as it goes around the bag, to prevent it from puncturing the bag.