Thread: Hello all,

Default Hello all,

49 years old, married 22 years, 2 labradors 1 black 1 yellow,

found this site on a linkfrom knife making/bushcraft, got an open canoe recently thought i'd join and learn somethings.

Deano

Quote Originally Posted by deano
    49 years old, married 22 years, 2 labradors 1 black 1 yellow,

found this site on a linkfrom knife making/bushcraft, got an open canoe recently thought i'd join and learn somethings.

Deano
    Hi Deano

The one thing you will find is that you will learn plenty about open canoing, from my experience this is the best open site going. Welcome aboard.
    Best regards

Jim

Welcome Deano

I am sure you will learn loads but also I am sure you have much to add to the site. Even the asking of questions is a big contribution. I have learned just as much from questions asked by others, that i had not even thought about, as I have from the questions I posed.

So what canoe do you have? I presume one at least big enough for you and the dogs

Once again welcome.
    John

Hi deano
    I live in Tadcaster so maybe we could meet up for a paddle on the Ouse or the Derwent. I have found that the best putin point on the Ouse is the Boatyard a Bishopthorpe 1 to park and launch but the car is safe and someone knows your on the water.
    You will learn quite a lot by reading through the existing strings.

Bye for now
    David B

Default Re Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    Welcome Deano

I am sure you will learn loads but also I am sure you have much to add to the site. Even the asking of questions is a big contribution. I have learned just as much from questions asked by others, that i had not even thought about, as I have from the questions I posed.

So what canoe do you have? I presume one at least big enough for you and the dogs

Once again welcome.
    The canoe is a pelican Excursion 146 Only been on the River Ouse in York once, With it being so heavy and having no trolly yet, getting to the waters edge is difficult. Fortunately the University has a Boat house next to the ouse and i can get in there.getting the canoe on to the car roof was yet another challenge.I spent a long time making something to help me get it on the car,I will leave that tale for another time.
    Dean

Smile Re Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Hi deano
    I live in Tadcaster so maybe we could meet up for a paddle on the Ouse or the Derwent. I have found that the best putin point on the Ouse is the Boatyard a Bishopthorpe 1 to park and launch but the car is safe and someone knows your on the water.
    You will learn quite a lot by reading through the existing strings.

Bye for now
    David B
    David, That would be great. Whenever my Shifts allow,didn't know about the Boatyard at Bishopthorpe.
    Read most of the threads on here.

Dean

Default Re Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Hi Deano

The one thing you will find is that you will learn plenty about open canoing, from my experience this is the best open site going. Welcome aboard.
    Best regards

Jim
    Jim,
    I have plenty to learn and hopefully something to contribute. Great web site

Dean

Default deano

i too have just bought a pelican excursion 146and find it heavy.once in the water it was ok,i have just got to learn how to paddle it in a straight line,i will be taking lessons as i feel at home in an open canoe.does anyone out there recomend a pack for a novice like me,mainly for the weight and for flat water only
    many thanks brian payne.

Quote Originally Posted by brian payne
    does anyone out there recomend a pack for a novice like me,mainly for the weight and for flat water only
    many thanks brian payne.
    Yes

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...hread.php?t=26

I am very pleased with my Pack. It is forgiving enough for a beginner and light enough for weight never to be an issue..
    John