Thread: Hi

Default Hi

Hiya all - Helen from Dumfries here. I have been known to, occassionally, do something silly - like paddle an open! I am more at home in a sea kayak - but have been assured I can post on these pages if I only mention this sparringly.

Rivers paddled in an open include Nith, Border Esk, Cairn water, and a few local Lochs.

I'm secretary of the local Club (Nithsdale Canoe Club) and we have 3 opens for members to use. One is a wee bit the worse for wear as it was taken down the Liffy Descent a few years ago and had a bit of an accident with a weir! Nothing to do with me I hasten to add!

Anyway - that's me

Happy paddling everyone

H - x

Welcome Helen

Yes I have no objection to other canoe users registering and posting. I do think that there is a lot of overlap in the ethos of Sea Kayakers and Open canoe users. Both are more about the journey and exploring than the thrill and danger so to that extent we are more similar than different and we both have much to learn from each other.

So, yes, you are more than welcome here.
    John

Found a rare photo of me in an open!

http://www.nithsdalecanoeclub.org.uk...ges/038_NC.htm

I'm the one in front!

Happy paddling all

H - x

Can't say you look as if you are enjoying yourself though
    John

Hmmm ... was ... sort of - it was a kind of dodge the overhanging trees type trip. Every time I ducked down to avoid them the boat wobbled precariously ! I felt far more unsafe in the open than I ever do in my kayak or sea kayak!

H - x