Thread: For those who like to Canoe and camp!

Default For those who like to Canoe and camp!

For those who like to Canoe and camp just like George Sears aka Nessmuk

Here is a Nessmuk esk blade that i have made, its not been HT yet so the bevel isnt finished. (has a mm left to go)

What do you think to the shape? At the moment it is scandi grind as it is quite thin. I was thinking of maybe making it convex??

Well here it is, actually i need to refinish it as the scales arent the same. i blame all this overcast weather

Not sure what the wood is:lol:

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Very nicely done.

The scales look fine in the pictures - where are you not happy about ?
    I'd guess it was 'Snakewood', (Piratinera guianensis), but it is only a guess.

The grind looks good too, mine now tend towards this kinda longer convex leading into a bit of a secondary bevel on the edge, I find it gives good scope for recovering the edge for a bit before any bigger regrinds are needed, which kinda keeps some of the material strength at the cutting edge too.

What have you used to give that patina ? I'm guessing it's 01 (but I could be wrong).

I've always thought that it's an interesting shape of blade that 'Nessmuk' shape, it looks like a lot of thought went into it - I can see how it'd adapt to a pretty wide range of 'camp' jobs, far wider than a lot of the straighter profiles would I'm sure.

I really must try to read some of these writers - maybe have a book list for the winter months.

I used Vinegar for the patina mate, it is 01 that has gone through Bainite transformation.

Its most definitely snakewood

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shinken View Post
    I used Vinegar for the patina mate, it is 01 that has gone through Bainite transformation.

Its most definitely snakewood
    Blimey, bainite transformation is not something I could (or would) attempt with my back-garden [local] charcoal and box-bellow forge. Far to precise for me.

Vinegar I could cope with tho'

Fine looking knife!
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

I think you're geetting to be one fine knifemaker Shinken...

got the bainite bug huh....

Nice shape, most folks in this area would call it a "green river".
    I've always suspected the knife Sears referred to in his writings was most likely related to the knives preferred by the central canadian fur traders of the era, which were very much like the one you pictured.

In any case, nice knife!

Well
    I haven't got a clue what Bainite transformation is but it looks a real nice blade to me.

I used the vinegar thing on my Clipper and got a finish that looked a bit like Damascus i think due to the pattern on the tissue paper.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.