Thread: Members map

Bishops Cleeve , Cheltenham , Gloucestershire United Kingdom

Default Members map

Members map will not show members,the map stays clean of any markers!
    Have Canoe,will paddle.

You mean the canoe stealing map?

No I don't think he does.

I will have a look into it. Often it is a special character in a members name that causes a glitch but I know google were making some changes so it may be that.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by AHPP View Post
    You mean the canoe stealing map?
    Only if you are stupid enough to put the marker at the location where you keep your canoe. Mine is half a mile away.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    No I don't think he does.

I will have a look into it. Often it is a special character in a members name that causes a glitch but I know google were making some changes so it may be that.
    Yep, you hit the nail on the head, here are the specific errors:

Code:
    Uncaught ReferenceError: GUnload is not defined vbgooglemapme.php:98
    Uncaught ReferenceError: GIcon is not defined vbgooglemapme.php:432
    Uncaught ReferenceError: GMap2 is not defined vbgooglemapme.php:452
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Only if you are stupid enough to put the marker at the location where you keep your canoe. Mine is half a mile away.
    Exactly what I did. Marker shows the village but not my house.
    I do find the map useful to see where I might find local paddlers. I didn't realise there was a member only 4 miles away until I checked the map.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    Yep, you hit the nail on the head, here are the specific errors:

Code:
    Uncaught ReferenceError: GUnload is not defined vbgooglemapme.php:98
    Uncaught ReferenceError: GIcon is not defined vbgooglemapme.php:432
    Uncaught ReferenceError: GMap2 is not defined vbgooglemapme.php:452
    Hope that helps.
    Thanks. Unfortunately that may mean I can't fix it. I will need to see if there is an update to the hack or a new version.
    John

Thanks. Unfortunately that may mean I can't fix it. I will need to see if there is an update to the hack or a new version.
    If you send me the file, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to fix it, even if it's only until the next version of official fix... Just an option.

It's the file attached to this thread http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...54#post2462354

I'm guessing some of the comments on it may help.
    John

I was considering "Bump".. Any luck with the map issue?
    "If you are not part of the solution, maybe you are part of the problem!"

Recreational paddler & outdoor activity instructor

Not yet. It is getting discussed on the hack thread on Vbulletin a bit but no fix yet. I am surprised there is not a competing hack yet I could use but I've not seen one yet.
    John

I'm going to Scotland (which I always shout as "SCO'LUND" in my mind when I think about going there) soon and I wanted to know who might be near where I'm headed. The map still isn't working, but I managed to get it to work enough to give me the data. I converted that from XML to JSON and made a local version of the map:

One thing I noticed as I zoomed into the UK was just how biased our membership is (I'm not complaining!):

If there's an interest in the map, I could provide it, but it doesn't allow updates, or show changes that could be made. There's a lot more to the members map on here than just showing pins with pop-ups showing names and linking to profiles (which is all mine does).

PS. I'm still happy to help if it's wanted.

I do like looking at it from time to time.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    If you send me the file, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to fix it, even if it's only until the next version of official fix... Just an option.
    It's the file attached to this thread http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...54#post2462354

I'm guessing some of the comments on it may help.
    How did you get on with the above? On the thread there is someone who has got it working but has not made that version public.
    John

Is this map from self reported locations, or from IP addresses?

I'd love to see some blogs from our Mongolian and Siberian members.

Quote Originally Posted by Per View Post

Self reported. You put yourself on the map. Or did, as obviously nowt shows at the mo.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

How did you get on with the above? On the thread there is someone who has got it working but has not made that version public.
    I seem to recall the issue is that I can't test it locally because there's no connection to the database. Having just that one file makes it almost impossible to work on. I'd need access to the FTP server so I could replace files on the server for testing and debugging.

What I can say for now, is that the line
    var dzoom = "5";
    should be
    var dzoom = 5;

i.e. a number rather than a string.

Further to that...
    var xmlDoc = request.responseXML;
    needs to change because the request responseXML is null (empty). It appears we can use just the response:
    var xmlDoc = request.response;

But there are further issues in processing the response because it's text rather than XML so the operations performed on it fail after that. The text in the response needs to be converted to an XML object to allow parsing of the elements. It's at that point I stopped trying to fix the map and made a local copy using a JSON object that I created from the XML.

I'm not a programmer so don't really understand the ins and outs of it but understood from the thread linked above that the original problem was because Google had changed the way the app had to integrate with the map.

Also if you have no access to the database how did you manage to access it to make up your version?
    John

That's correct John - the Google API changed from version 2 to version 3.

In the above I mentioned the request.response having the map data. There's something in the page that makes a call to the server to get that information. It can't be accessed by people outside the site (tech-speak: I suspect the referrer must be the SOTP domain). However, with the developer tools of my browser I'm able to pause the client-side code (in the browser) at that point and copy the data.

The problem with these things is often a can of worms. Fix one or two things and it allows the code to get a bit further before it finds another issue. It could well be the case that the two things I raised are just the tip of the iceberg and once they're corrected, more serious issues (possibly Google maps version related) would come to light.

Whilst looking at some profiles of people near where I want to visit, I noticed that a few of them have not been active for some time. I thought it might be useful to add a feature where a date can be specified so that only members active after that date are shown on the map. I'm not sure if we can, but another thing that interested me was the idea of your pin size indicating the number of posts you've made - more active members show as bigger pins (or maybe the colour intensity could be altered). All just ideas in my head.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Quote Originally Posted by Per View Post

So would I!

We've had some good Russian blogs though, and some Brazilian, Tasmanian and Aotearoan ones, talking of far flung members. And a good Namibian one recently.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

I doubt we'll hear from ian c in Mongolia; he's not posted much on here.

Same could be said for yook an phil in Siberia.

There's somewhat more hope for a message from Wilberforce falls who titled himself "Big Bad Bob of the Yukon". Nice handle.

I'm just getting a Vbulletin message that "you do not have permission to access this page".
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Ounce is offline 28.3495 grams - not a heavy weight! Administrator

The plugin is disabled since it doesn't work. This is likely the reason you get a permission error Tyro.
    -------------------------
    You! Off my planet!

Is this glitch going to be fixed, its handy knowing who lives nearby when planning a paddle.

I think it is unlikely to get repaired now. Seems to have been broken for too long without the programmer addressing it. I'm keeping my eye out for a replacement hack. I'm surprised no one has made one as it is a popular feature. There is one that shows the approx position of members who are logged in but that is less useful and a default thing rather than opt in, which I am not as keen on.
    John

Cheers for clearing that up John.

If your happy to share db access credentials (limited to the 'locations table)' I could probably recreate the map functionality? (or a CSV/XML dump of the data therein) - kinda similar to some of the sites I mess about with (http://www.paddledwaterways.org.uk/ , http://www.cankay.org.uk). Alternatively would be pretty simple to write from scratch and start again - just need somewhere to host it.

I'd be very wary of allowing access to the database as if that gets corrupt in any way the whole forum goes down. Also the location data on the map was added by the users to the forum add on we used to have. It was not generated automatically for everyone from IP info or locations in accounts but from a position chosen by each member who wanted to be on the map.

The original forum plug in is on this thread, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...946#post594946 The last few posts indicate that a couple of people have a fix but they have not published these.
    John

Thanks to cankay we have a members map again. See the tab above or follow this link, http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...28-Members-Map

This should be regarded as a beta version at the moment but have a go and see how you get on.

Again many thanks to Jon for all his work.
    John

Yay!!! Nice one cankay
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

Great stuff. Well done that man.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Thx for you kind words, Jimmyads, Big Al. - and thx John (Magikelly) for the support.

As John mentioned, its kinda a Beta release - managed to break it for a few mins the morning doing a small style update! Want to add a toggle switch to show/hide avatar names and maybe change to change map styles. If anyone has any other suggestions/improvements, then please yell.

Well done gents!

Thanks Cankay, excellent computering old chap!
    I am now on the map!
    As for improvements? If you could just move my house onto the shoreline of any loch in the highlands I would be very happy - or is that not what you meant?

There's a Bluebird in my heart

don't know what you were all talking about earlier in the thread!? nearly lost me with the hieroglyphics - glad others understand all this computer stuff? but the new map need populating, I'm added in the nearest river - cant get the canoe there but the dog like it and you can swim - thread bumped.

steve

Nice one!

May be worth considering a note recommending folk DON't pin their actual address, but a feature of some sort nearby, to avoid the possibility of pesky canoe thieves using it...? Rings bells that this was on the original one.

Hi Mal,
    There is/was a pop-up that explained just that, but it was session based, and I think including within SOTP might have confused that. So I'll it add as a fixed message at the top of the map. May be after Halloween paddle before I get the time.

I placed myself on Rudyard Lake, it's nice there , but can't seem to input my SotP Name on the pin, move, or delete it.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

click once to place it, then click it again and a box comes up for you to add your name then a yellow pin will appear.
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

I've added a 'Er.. help pls' link to the bottom of the map (ok it was there previously, but only showed on wide screens).

I've also added a name toggle button. It does currently reset the zoom level to show everyone on the map, which I may sort out when I've some time.

Any other thoughts/suggestions appreciated - can't promise if/when any such would be actioned, but good to get others ideas.

Been a couple of weeks, and not really had any negative feedback. Quite a few less markers than the original, so maybe worth adding a new sticky somewhere popular to see if we can get a few more pins on the board?

I'm now paddling on Rudyard
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

No one reads stickies. Trust me I get contact every week asking why someone can't post a thread in the classifieds and it only has one sticky with the the rules at the top. The tab up the top should stand out. A new thread about the map might help as people may not be reading this one past the posts about the maps demise. I will try to remember to give the map a mention and include a link when I post a newsletter in early December.
    John

John,

I've an update to the map that allows peeps to toggle markers on/off for the locations The paddle has been (kinda best guess anyway from this thread).

Are you happy for me to upload (probably at the weekend)?

Ta
    Jon

That would be good to see. Would people add to it manually or are you going to need to update it as the thread progresses?
    John

Initially I'd maintain - probably need to shuffle a few locations around, fill in blanks etc.

Laters I could create a simple form for peeps to say who, where, when (maybe photo) that would send you an email with an approve link therein- if you click to approve then it would get added automatically, but at the current average of <1 a month it'd only be a few mins for me to update as and when from the blog posts.

Sounds like an excellent addition to the map chaps. After all, the Song of the Paddle Paddle is a member anyway...

Spotted the map was 'down' this morning - was a hosting issue, now resolved.

"Sorry about this. The hosting was migrated to another server and it appears the s/w version your site uses didn't copy over. We have changed the version and the page now shows correctly."

Further technical hitch - the 'clustering' code I'd used to put one marker in place of many at the same 'spot' has been moved/broken, so I've had to rework to remove the 'clustering' feature. May mean the maps takes a little longer to show. When I've a bit more time I'll see if I can source an alternative solution.

I've tested toggling stuff on/off, but not adding a new memember to the map. If anyone does spot a problem then please PM me and I'll see if I can fix!.

Cheers
    Jon

Just found the map, and how very nice it looks.

Never had the opportunity before as I usually access the forum through the Tapatalk app on my mobile, how very different the whole forum looks too.

Nice work Jon. oh and John too (especially John)

A wee while ago, Google changed thier procedures so that all maps needed a 'key' and a billing account.
    To encourage peeps, the map tiles were all watermarked with a 'dev purposes only' overlay.

Take a little while for me to get round to it, but I've now added the 'key' so the map now shows again cleanly without the watermark (well it does for me anyway).
    Last edited by cankay.org.uk; 18th-January-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    A wee while ago, Google changed thier procedures so that all maps needed a 'key' and a billing account.
    To encourage peeps, they map tiles were all watermarked with a 'dev purposes only' overlay.

Take a little while for me to get round to it, but I've now added the 'key' so the map now shows again cleanly without the watermarked (well it does for me anyway).
    Still miss the "Add reputation" button for things like this where I'd just like to show some appreciation for your time and effort.

Still miss the "Add reputation" button for things like this where I'd just like to show some appreciation for your time and effort.
    Aw shucks, thx

It's kinda nice just to be able to contribute something back to the SOTP community.

Peeps may spot a couple of new 'Bliss' related buttons:

If curious, please peruse: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...houghts-please hopefully that thread will explain the purpose/history.