Thread: [Video] Boofing The Waterfall, Mitta Mitta River, Australia

Default [Video] Boofing The Waterfall, Mitta Mitta River, Australia

Here's footage from the Mitta Mitta (Victoria, Australia), AFTER I broke my rib swimming a rapid several hours earlier.

http://youtu.be/eXnGyPdvihs

Nice boof!
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Good stuff!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

booftastic - ouch....

Quote Originally Posted by Davy 90 View Post
    booftastic - ouch....
    ... And you, an educated man ?

good video though, I'd like to see a bit more
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Thumbs up ohhh.....wumphhh!.....oooh that hurted!

Look's canny!

Not my cup of tea mind you

Well......probably not

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Cooooool
    If I could only paddle like a doggie oughta paddle

I like it, and it is a good outcome, but.....

it looks to me as though just like in a kayak, when you leaned back you dropped the bow rather than lifting it (common mistake made when learning to boof kayak).

Do you think it would be possible in a canoe, and if so more effective, to try to keep your body more centralised but lift your knees towards your chest?

Even with tight straps/bulkhead lifting the knees is not normally useful in a canoe (best to keep them snugly in the foam cups), I am trying to work out if it is the best plan for boofing or is there another way I haven't yet thought of?

Damn, there is so much more to think about with a canoe!

How hard can it be?

Good observation and questions, JimW.

In that vid, the bow was higher than without the boof (the stroke at the lip, and the hip-thrust). Now some critique. Because The Waterfall on the Mitta is more of a ramp than a true fall, it was difficult from the boat to find the true lip, and I placed my boof stroke too early. Thus it had less effect than intended.

I'm not too sure how to answer all your questions, especially about kayakers, but i do notice than kayakers crunch forward (over their front deck) immediately after the boof stroke, whereas canoeists lean back. I have a few ideas, but I'm not sure why.

Cant beat JLH

Yeah, I hate falls with a sloping lip, getting timing right is a nightmare when you aren't sure where the real edge is!

The mistake people make in kayaks is thinking that if they lean back, they will trim the stern down, but of course once the bow is in free air it is going to start sinking faster than the stern. The other problem is one of action and reaction, to lean back you simultaneously push your legs away, i.e. downwards, which drops the bow. Hence you will see kayakers using a hip thrust but then crunching forward because that brings their knees up towards the chest and actually keeps the bow higher through the air.

I'm trying to work out if the level of connectivity in a canoe makes it possible to do the same, I mean clearly the action and reaction issues are the same, but if bringing your knees up is mostly going to result in loss of connectivity and control on landing maybe it is better to lean back to keep the bow light for landing, or maybe just staying more upright and trying to use features to flare is a better idea?

(sorry to get all technical!)

How hard can it be?

That's not a boof....*this* is a boof...Mr V_B of this parish occasionally showing how it should be done...

Boof baby, boof by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

I like the video, but that pic is an awesome boof!!
    ​Change is inevitable; progress is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    Yeah, I hate falls with a sloping lip, getting timing right is a nightmare when you aren't sure where the real edge is!

The mistake people make in kayaks is thinking that if they lean back, they will trim the stern down, but of course once the bow is in free air it is going to start sinking faster than the stern. The other problem is one of action and reaction, to lean back you simultaneously push your legs away, i.e. downwards, which drops the bow. Hence you will see kayakers using a hip thrust but then crunching forward because that brings their knees up towards the chest and actually keeps the bow higher through the air.

I'm trying to work out if the level of connectivity in a canoe makes it possible to do the same, I mean clearly the action and reaction issues are the same, but if bringing your knees up is mostly going to result in loss of connectivity and control on landing maybe it is better to lean back to keep the bow light for landing, or maybe just staying more upright and trying to use features to flare is a better idea?

(sorry to get all technical!)
    By "connectivity", are you referring to how snug a canoeist is in his outfitting? If so, the connectivity can be very high.

I think the better canoeists use a similar technique to kayakers when boofing. But I'm not in the "better canoeist" category, so perhaps one could chime in.

Hi there Pea Pod

I'm an active whitewater kayaker, based near Penrith at the moment, and am extremely interested in purchasing an Esquif L'ege whitewater canoe.

I have been kayaking for nearly 30 years and I wanted to get into a different aspect of whitewater, and the L'edge looks such a great fun boat to have.

I've done some research, only to discover that no retailer or outfitter imports this Esquif canoe into Australia, but that research also led me to yourself, as possibly the only person who has so far managed to get one of these canoes freighted over from the United States.

I've also checked out your YouTube vids of you playing in the L'edge at Penrith WWC and understand that you live fairly close in the Blur Mountains.

Would it be possible for ou to give me the details and procedures and costs that you had to incur when you ordered and imported the L'edge into this country... I have tried without success so far to find an overseas retailer who will do so.

Furthermore, if you are planning to use your canoe at Penrith WWC anytime in the near future, could you get in touch with me, as I'd love to come along and see it in action on the water and talk to you about it.

Cheers

John

Quote Originally Posted by JOHAHO View Post
    Hi there Pea Pod

I'm an active whitewater kayaker, based near Penrith at the moment, and am extremely interested in purchasing an Esquif L'ege whitewater canoe.

I have been kayaking for nearly 30 years and I wanted to get into a different aspect of whitewater, and the L'edge looks such a great fun boat to have.

I've done some research, only to discover that no retailer or outfitter imports this Esquif canoe into Australia, but that research also led me to yourself, as possibly the only person who has so far managed to get one of these canoes freighted over from the United States.

I've also checked out your YouTube vids of you playing in the L'edge at Penrith WWC and understand that you live fairly close in the Blur Mountains.

Would it be possible for ou to give me the details and procedures and costs that you had to incur when you ordered and imported the L'edge into this country... I have tried without success so far to find an overseas retailer who will do so.

Furthermore, if you are planning to use your canoe at Penrith WWC anytime in the near future, could you get in touch with me, as I'd love to come along and see it in action on the water and talk to you about it.

Cheers

John
    Hi and Welcome John,

You might want to consider dropping Pea Pod a PM (Private Message), as I don't think he's been on the site for a while, so might not notice your post.

I'd also recommend posting a question to the SOTP OC1 paddlers in general, as there are quite a few L'Edge users who might be able to at least tell you lots about the boat itself. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any others in the same hemisphere as you!

Thanks Mal. I got his message via email alerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pea Pod View Post
    Thanks Mal. I got his message via email alerts.
    Cool, hoped you would!

Mal

Thanks very much for your reply... I did manage to send this guy a private message and heard back from him almost immediately.

You're right about not many other L'edge paddlers here in Oz... as far as I know this is the only paddler in the country with one at the moment.

Thanks again

John