Thread: Twitter

Default Twitter

As a big fan of twitter, i think it would be great if @songofthepaddle could automatically follow every follower. This would I think enable all us twitter users to share canoeing pictures and comments instantly rather than wait until i get access to my laptop.
    I appreciate that it was mentioned initially that this site would not follow members, but I can see no reason why not.

Thanks

Follow me if you like.... Dave @wavecloud My forum @UKPaddleSports is on there too with an auto twitter feed.

Oh - forgot to mention..... PaddleBoard Hire @rentAsupUK

It is much the same reason I have not set up a FaceBook page (we do have a Facebook group), We want to keep the forum as the one stop shop for all things SongofthePaddle. We don't want to force members to join Twitter or Facebook to make sure they see all the posts or blogs by members.
    John

Facebook is worth avoiding for all kinds of reasons !

Near Banbury, England and just South of Poitiers France.

A luddite speaks:

While I'm sure Twitter is a wonderful thing for those who use and enjoy it I'm among those who prefer not to indulge. The thought of a constant stream of other people's (often not well considered) thoughts flooding my life fills me with disquiet. I avoid it as much as I can.

I have been told Twitter and Facebook are all easily managed, but for me the occasional forum (SOP being one) and e-mails offer enough opportunity to communicate. Texts are a good way to transmit short messages and they get read by those I direct them to, not the wider world. More places to check for messages, respond and manage would simply get in the way of important stuff like building and using boats.

My fear would be that adding more communication streams would either dilute the forum, meaning worthwhile material is not posted, or (if tweets became part of the posting... is that possible?) that the forum would be swamped with twittering.

SOP is a forum (like some others) that I appreciate for it's thoughtful and well considered posts on all angles of canoeing and related topics. Would suit me personally if it stayed that way. If linking with Twitter won't threaten that essential quality then I'll shut up.

I spend way to much time on here as it is I can access it on he fly easy enough as long as I have a good 3G signal and have joined the FB group which works well for me as most of my local paddling buddies are on Facebook so easy to make contact if needs be ...

I find it better than phoning as you can have a chat with as many people as you like at the same time without the whole world seeing your business via the message function ...
    Last edited by pipster3; 8th-October-2013 at 01:31 PM.

I use twitted to get new customers and for that it really works. I am also considered the man to help out with Narrow boat rescues on the Thames in spate, thanks to twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    I use twitted to get new customers and for that it really works. I am also considered the man to help out with Narrow boat rescues on the Thames in spate, thanks to twitter!
    Do you claim salvage rights?
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

timoc, totally agree.
    this site is for sharing canoe stuff. twitter is for twitter users
    i want to talk/read canoeing not be swamped by insignificant prattle from people i'n not interested in who believe i cannot live without their trivia
    just my personal view.
    nature is m X-box

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Do you claim salvage rights?
    Sort of.. A free loan of said boat!

timoc, totally agree.
    this site is for sharing canoe stuff. twitter is for twitter users
    i want to talk/read canoeing not be swamped by insignificant prattle from people i'n not interested in who believe i cannot live without their trivia
    just my personal view.

Twitter isn't really like that. You only get what you want.

My UKPaddleSports account is solely paddle based so it only gets paddle related posts/tweets. It's connected me with a huge diverse range of paddlers, all backgrounds from all over the world.

Think SOTP but under your own control = twitter

folk can get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of posts/tweets, which can put some off.

I registered right at the start of twitter but didn't use it at all until a chap from Colorado contacted me and wanted the name 'wavecloud'... I thought, oh there must be something in this, told him no and then started to have a go.

This was just tweeted about 1 min ago!

@kft66: @Wavecloud @davidandrewt @Simo7171 first night swam yes swam 3 lengths on back with hubby + 4 widths on own in empty pool.

A happy aquaphobic customer

Hardly insignificant prattle?

Just to advise @songofthepaddle automatically followed all its followers it would be a bonus for those of us who use twitter. Those that dont have twitter would not be subjected to any tweets, emails or messages on this website. It would just be a useful extension of twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by markpfc View Post
    Those that dont have twitter would not be subjected to any tweets, emails or messages on this website.
    And that's the problem. The content would not be on here. I want all the SotP content on here so all members here can see it.
    John

i dont even want to see twitter here in the same way i dont want to see facebook here. if i facebook then i do it on face book, if i sotp then i do it on sotp. i see no reason to inflict either facebook or twitter on sotp users who dont use them.
    i choose to read here and choose not to read twitter. i want to continue to have that choice.
    nature is m X-box

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    i dont even want to see twitter here in the same way i dont want to see facebook here. if i facebook then i do it on face book, if i sotp then i do it on sotp. i see no reason to inflict either facebook or twitter on sotp users who dont use them.
    i choose to read here and choose not to read twitter. i want to continue to have that choice.
    Calm down, calm down

Quote Originally Posted by andym View Post
    What are you Twittering on about???

Totally - why use the word a word that means this =

Cause (something unpleasant or painful) to be suffered by someone or something: "inflict injuries on".
    Impose something unwelcome on: "he inflicts his beliefs on everyone".