Thread: 2005 Minnesota Watercraft Drownings

Journal Entries

Default 2006 Minnesota Watercraft Drownings

Interesting to note that only three drownings involved canoes. Also, most victims were not wearing life jackets:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/educati...ummary2006.pdf

The first one listed (non canoe) was about a mile and a half from my place and I knew at least one of the victims quite well. Over loaded john boat.
    Last edited by Matto; 2nd-May-2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Corrected title date
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Sad to see so many deaths in one state. At least it is the lowest figure for five years, so some good news. I guess its more shocking how many people drown in non-boat related incidents.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    Sad to see so many deaths in one state. At least it is the lowest figure for five years, so some good news. I guess its more shocking how many people drown in non-boat related incidents.
    We live (and die) on the water here. In spite of the state slogan that Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes - there are actually 12,000 lakes in the state. Minnesota is 86,943 square miles. UK (including Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland) is 93,788 square miles.

I have no idea how many lakes there are in the UK. Info does not seem to be available on the web (or at least I can't find it).
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water