Thread: River Severn _ Ironbridge to Bewdley 2 Day Trip

Default River Severn _ Ironbridge to Bewdley 2 Day Trip

Planning a 2 day trip on the severn, 26th/27th August, from Ironbridge to Bewdley stopping over at the unicorn inn. Plan is to secure canoe at Bewdley and taxi back to Ironbridge to pick up the land rover. Anyone know is there are places to secure a canoe at Bewdley? or anyone done this trip using other means of getting back to Ironbridge? We are novices with only a few canoe trips under our belt so also considered starting at coalport to avoid Jackfield rapids, are these passable by novices? Any help appreciated and anyone want to join in welcome.

Hi Donny
    first well done for chosing agreat secton of river! from world heritage site through fields and woods with the wistle of the stream railway to accompany you from bridgenorth to the finnish.
    I was on the iron bridge secton yesterday and have done hampton load/arly to bewdly many times, the jackfield rapids are a short secton of grade 2 with a couple of big rocks in the middle but generally a straight run big eddie at the bottom river left, if you dont like the look you can portage river left.
    there are few gentle riffs for the rest of the way until just above bewdly where there is some easy rapids and a surf wave at trimply res if the water is at the right level( its currently very low so whatch out for shallow bits) arley has a nice slipway/landing and the ice cream is great.
    bewdley we usually get out river right just before the big carpark with rowing club on river left there is a muddy bank you could chain you boats to the trees in the grassy area (whatch out for Dog poo) the car park is regulary patrolled by traffic wardens. bewdley is a lovely little town great chippy and ice cream shop by the bridge.

Thanks for the reply, really looking forward to it now. Think we are going to drop the canoe off at Ironbridge, drop the truck off at the Unicorn Inn then taxi back to start and get the steam train back to Hampton Loade to get the truck on day 2. Just finished fitting out the canoe yesterday with bungee cord etc. It's an old tank (Coleman ram-x 17ft) so should be quite stable. Seats are plastic moulded tubs so hoping that will be enough bouyancy if we end up swimming at Jackfield Thanks for the info, do you have any grid co-ordinates on where to egress out at bewdley? also anyone know a good place to put in at Ironbridge?

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Have a look at paddlepoints.net. loads of information there http://paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints...ion=ironbridge
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Hi Donny there is a car park at the top end off iron bridge on the road towards the power station just after the mini island I have locked my boat to the railings here with no problems. there is a access to the river by the craft shop/tea shop and public loos in the short term car park behind the craft shop. If you are coming off the motor way just follow the signs for iron bridge museums. don't know the grid for Bewdly but the river gets wall in just after the car park we egress on to the park next to the car park river right.

More great info, starting to come together.

Hi Donnydarko,

Regarding Jackfield rapids, I did them with a small group several years ago when we were all pretty much novices. The only boat to swim in our group were complete beginners. As for ourselves, we bounced off a boulder but stayed upright. I'd say you'd be fine as novices in Summer conditions but you should stop and inspect before going down the rapids just to be sure. If I recall you can portage ok, if in doubt. On that trip we did Ironbridge to Bewdley I think, over 2 days.

Good luck and post a blog to show us how you got on!
    The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

Will try to get a blog together although not done one before! Might take all the camping gear out and shoot the rapids then walk back and fetch it so it doesn't get soaked either that of book a room at Unicorn inn so we don't have much gear. Pretty excited about this trip now, my first real canoe adventure.

Well here's the address to my first Blogg! http://campandcanoe.blogspot.co.uk/ let me know if it actually works and you can view it! I'll keep it updated if anyone reads it and add some pic's and a write up of the trip's happenings.

Hi, can anyone advise where to get off the Severn at Ironbridge. We are planning a 4 day
    trip from poolquay and need to leave boats while we go back to poolquay to collect vehicles. Three boats, three adults & two children

Thanks for any help