Thread: [Video] Bilge pump installation in an open canoe

Default [Video] Bilge pump installation in an open canoe

I just installed an electric bilge pump in my Esquif L'Edge, and made a short video, hopefully to help others understand the basics.

If you paddle whitewater, especially tight, technical sections that don't allow much room for emptying water that you take on board, a bilge pump is a valuable addition. This video outlines the installation process and materials needed.

A number of saddle modifications are useful, to allow the saddle to be removed quickly, but still have it securely in the boat when paddling. These include the addition of knee wedges that also anchor the front of the saddle laterally, and a three-sided piece of foam glued at the rear of the saddle to secure it. Screws through the thwarts, into dowel inserted in the bulkhead and saddle, prevent longitudinal movement.

Finally, if you paddle an Esquif L'Edge, or similar boat with the carry handle oriented longitudinally, rotate it 90 degrees and fix to the deck. Use the spare screw holes to secure the ends of the airbags with cord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ3tx...RNTCHrPMoLKssg

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; ">

Arrggh .... I get (in the UK) ... "This video contains content from WMG, DashGo/Audiobee, Warner Chappell, SACEM, PEDL and UMPI, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Can't view your vid
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Me too. Odd - I viewed it yesterday.
    ​Change is inevitable; progress is optional.

I can see it.

Great idea. I use the manual pump, but that's only because the outriggers I made are a little leaky Which reminds me I must fix them at some point
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Default Try this link

Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    Arrggh .... I get (in the UK) ... "This video contains content from WMG, DashGo/Audiobee, Warner Chappell, SACEM, PEDL and UMPI, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Can't view your vid

I've uploaded a new version that pleases the copyright peeps.

http://youtu.be/iQC58YVGA6o

That looks good Peapod. I wonder if corrosion will be an issue? I've made up a pump to use in my sailing canoe in rough conditions which so far seems to work well but I've tried to make everything waterproof (albeit mine will be used mostly in saltwater which obviously increases the risk of corrosion).

Default Corrosion

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
    That looks good Peapod. I wonder if corrosion will be an issue? I've made up a pump to use in my sailing canoe in rough conditions which so far seems to work well but I've tried to make everything waterproof (albeit mine will be used mostly in saltwater which obviously increases the risk of corrosion).
    I've seen others run similarly exposed setups to mine, but I don't truly know the long term corrosion likelihood. My plan is to be able to air dry all bits (by pulling the battery out, and pulling the switch out). Most paddling in this boat will be fresh water (rather than salt), so that'll help. But I'll have to file a report 6 - 12 months down the track.

Excellent thanks, I can see the new version ... it works well too
    I put a manual foot pump in one of my kayaks ages ago ... http://www.potteriespaddlers.co.uk/h...html#BilgePump
    That wouldn't work for my Fantasy OC1
    An electric solution is something for me to think about for later on.

Mike.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

There's a bit more info about my pump (and some others as well) here http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...lectric-bailer . I think there will be differences in what people want for an OC1 installation from what I did but there might be a some ideas that cross over. I wanted mine to be completely removable for when I didn't need it and I wanted enough battery life for repeated use on a multi day trip (and possibly to charge gadgets like GPS, VHF radio etc on a trip as well) hence the big lump of a battery I used. With hindsight this may have been overkill and a smaller lighter set up might be a better bet.

Hi there Pea Pod

I'm an active whitewater kayaker, based near Penrith at the moment, and am extremely interested in purchasing an Esquif L'ege whitewater canoe.

I have been kayaking for nearly 30 years and I wanted to get into a different aspect of whitewater, and the L'edge looks such a great fun boat to have.

I've done some research, only to discover that no retailer or outfitter imports this Esquif canoe into Australia, but that research also led me to yourself, as possibly the only person who has so far managed to get one of these canoes freighted over from the United States.

I've also checked out your YouTube vids of you playing in the L'edge at Penrith WWC and understand that you live fairly close in the Blur Mountains.

Would it be possible for ou to give me the details and procedures and costs that you had to incur when you ordered and imported the L'edge into this country... I have tried without success so far to find an overseas retailer who will do so.

Furthermore, if you are planning to use your canoe at Penrith WWC anytime in the near future, could you get in touch with me, as I'd love to come along and see it in action on the water and talk to you about it.

Cheers

John

Try LNC Outdoor Equipment for your L'Edge.
    ​Change is inevitable; progress is optional.

Thanks for all that. I now have the mark 2 version in my third OC1, and it still isn't perfect. Suddenly, seeing your cut out for the pump gives me a possible solution to my problem, that my pump leaves a bit too much water when it starts to suck air. Moving it aft into a cut out in the central spine might be just what is needed, and if I retain the cut out bit, I can glue it back if it still isn't right.

However, my saddle and bulkhead are glued into the boat, and in this boat I don't have a beam across the back of the seat. If it rains again tomorrow, (wimpish old man who likes to keep dry) I might try and collect the relevant photos from my various boats.. Of course, although very neat, an elbow on the through hull fitting does reduce the flow. For real fun as in Falk's post, you can soak a yakker from 5 yards!

Impcanoe

The battery I bought was an 8amphour Lithium at less than 600grams its way lighter than a lead acid, however it is very pricey at 99.
    The upside is you can recharge your gopro batteries from it too.

The battery has been in the boat now for three months without a recharge, so maybe the 2amphour Lithium would have been sufficient.

I connected a 1100gph pump, which takes about 4 mins to empty a full boat. I also fitted a straight connector (on Peter's advice) so it throws water full bore.

Thanks for that... but exchange rate conversion on what LNC are asking for a L'edge Lite puts the price at nearly $3300 Australian... and thats before the cost of getting it to Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHAHO View Post
    Thanks for that... but exchange rate conversion on what LNC are asking for a L'edge Lite puts the price at nearly $3300 Australian... and thats before the cost of getting it to Oz.
    The price of the L'edge in the UK is ridiculous at 1600 for a plastic boat you can buy the Esquif Pocket canyon for less in Royalex ... I know supply and demand and all that I would love a L'edge but can't justify that kind of money at the moment with having to keep a Prospector for family paddling and a couple of Kayaks for the Wife and my little Lad ...

So after spending a lot of time on the water with the OC1 crowd I have just added a Big Dog Force OC1 to the ever growing fleet and at 300 used a no brainer really; they are only 850 new and made in UK and I'm sure they have dealers in OZ

http://www.roho.co.uk/watersports/Bi...Force-OC1.html

if your on Facebook join the C-boating UK group run by Mat Howes a member on SOTP ... It's great lots of info and a world wide membership and I'm sure you will find help and info on laying your hands on a Ledge or even a Blackfly option which is also making its way to the UK with a few orders and Mat who paddles one

http://www.blackflycanoes.com/option.php

Cheers

Phil
    Last edited by pipster3; 23rd-May-2014 at 08:34 AM.