Thread: loch lomond islands

Default loch lomond islands

After hearing about wild pigs on loch morar islands, im slightly put off and now thinking about a trip to loch lomond. Im going with 5 friends and at first we wanted somewhere very remote, but im guessing loch lomond is a much more popular place to visit, which is fine, as long as we can set up camp on one of the islands without the world and his wife passing by. So for anyone whos been, which islands would you recommend setting up camp on, which can easily hold 6 people, is sheltered and has a forest/wooded area and maybe a beach to top it off haha. Thanks alot!

Andy

Journal Entries

Almost all the islands off of Luss fit the bill but because of that they are pretty busy. If you were visiting during the week when the schools are not on holiday it might not be too busy but during the holidays with good weather it would be busy. Mind you even when it is busy you can find a spot but it is far from a remote camping experience.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

How about Inchlonaig? There is a really nice wee beach and point at the estern end and other nice beaches at the western end. There is a house about central on the south side but the island is big enough that you can be completely out of sight/sound of it. Cool big old yew trees. Maybe not the flatest for tents but I'm sure you'd manage. Or you could hang from trees like bats/hammock-ers.
    Those with spotless homes have very dull lives.

Quote Originally Posted by chewz View Post
    After hearing about wild pigs on loch morar islands, im slightly put off ......
    Did we mention the wallabies, elephants and pandas that are on the Loch Lomond islands......
    Last edited by Chrish; 30th-April-2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Chris

Default Islands to camp on

If you get yourselves up to Loch Tummel - there is a large island at the east end , accessed from the south road, just down from Cluny Dam - can't remember the name - but it has plenty of trees, a beach and fine views up the loch
    Oh - and 99.9999999% less people than Loch Lomond!!!!
    I'm not as drink as some thinkle peep I am

Having a look at tummel now... but what about torrinch island?. I cant imagine that one being too popular, and looks like it may have a slight beach cant quite tell. We are going mid june, before the (english) schools break up.

thanks

Journal Entries

The only beach bit of Torrinch is looking onto the Inchcialloch camp site and is not really beachy at that.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Default Loch Lomond

My experience with Lock Lomond is that most of the islands get populated with some getting quite big parties suplied by moterboats and with music blaring. You may be better at the Northern end but dont really know much about that end. I would stick with Loch Morar and have some wild pig for dinner (just joking).

You could use your canoes as a wall around you tents and take some string to barrier off any gaps, would at least provide warning of the presence of pigs and may stop them getting to the tents. Adds a bit of zing if you have to avoid the wildlife