Thread: Improvised skeg for Gumotex Sunny

Default Improvised skeg for Gumotex Sunny

Brought our Gumotex Sunny down to the South of France to play in the Med. First couple of trips out it became obvious that all the advise about the requirement for a skeg was spot on. We did not have one, so I improvised with the help of a kindly campsite owner. This is the picture of the result. I explained that I needed a piece of plastic which I could make into a tail fin. The bar lady brought out an IKEA chopping board. It was flexible and plastic. The other people round the bar made suggestions and one of them had an electric drill and pop-rivet gun. So we drilled holes in it and he riveted it. I thought the rivets might not hold. So I drilled more holes and use string to hold it in shape, and more holes to attach it to the boat. After we had tried it an found it a raging success, the bar lady happened by our pitch and asked after the tail fin. She was very pleased it worked well. Been out every day since and it it performing perfectly.

Well done. You even colour-matched the boat...
    Not in Oxford any more...

Thanks for the comment. It was the only one available. We have now improved the fixings with quick release toggles made out of drift wood.

Love a good "bodge it"! Nice one, and I like the "team effort" story and the fact it was invented in a bar. As a proper invention should be!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

So its near a year since I fitted the temporary fin. Finally have got around to fitting the proper fin. The delay has been in being sure that we had the correct glue. Talked/emailed lots of people about the glue. The very helpful people at Gumotex (Pavel Lichtįg <pavel@boatpark.cz>) suggested ALPHA S5001 PART A and PART B. I bought the patch, the fin and the glue from Bluewater Sports. Alpha supplied the instructions for gluing

We did a test patch on the prow of the boat - on a part that did not contain air - just in case the glue dissolved the boat.

We looked for guidance on the position of the fin - how far back to mount it.
    The patch and fin look great.
    Off to South of France to test it.

I have the metal skeg on my Solar, but did find that with experience I can do without it. Main reason for leaving it off when paddling on the Medway is that canoe passes can be a bit shallow, so it grounds out. Keep meaning to try making a modified shallower design, maybe two bladed.

This is a picture of the new fin.

Moving the boat about over a long distance was a problem so I made this trolley. It is tied to the back of the boat when on the water. The wheels come from a toddlers push along toy.
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is picture of it attached to the boat. It needs to be tied on otherwise it slides backwards on bumpy ground.
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is the trolley folded up ready for putting the car. It needed to be small and light because there was very little room in the car after putting the oars, the boat and the pump - not to mention the tent and beds and the cooking stuff and the chairs and table.
    [IMG][/IMG]

And this is the trolley in action. It was very successful. Depending on where its mounted fore and aft the carrying weight can be adjusted. However we used it over fairly rough ground and sand and the wheels split (which I repaired with Duck tape) (which made it look like a proper tyre).

I am going to have to make a Mark II version. I already have two wheels from a golf trolley. They are much bigger and have roller bearings.

[IMG][/IMG]

We used the trolley so much over rough ground that wheels fell apart. So I have now made a MK2 version based on a golf trolley. We will see how it performs in the field.

We used the trolley so much over rough ground that wheels fell apart. So I have now made a MK2 version based on a golf trolley. We will see how it performs in the field..[/IMG]/user/johnatphotobucket/media/20150525_103004.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[/IMG]y
    Last edited by johnatsong; 25th-May-2015 at 06:01 PM.