Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Canoe Movies

Default Best Canoe Movies

What's your best canoe movie - Deliverance? I would go for Black Robe - the story of Jesuits in Canada. Very realistic canoe stuff. I did a search and it seams it's only available in North America - pity.

Default Canoe Movies

Without a Paddle. - comedy adventure about three guys searching in the Oregon wilderness for lost treasure. Slight funny hint of 'Deliverance'.

Anybody looking to pick up paddling tips . There are a few scenes though.Does a bear **** in the woods watch the film and you'll find out.

PG 13.Depends on how broadminded you are you'll know your own kids.

Yours MM.
    Last edited by Mutineering Maggie; 28th-February-2006 at 05:17 PM.
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

Journal Entries

Waterwalker by Bill Mason
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Solo Whitewater ( Path of the Paddle ) Bill Mason

MM.
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

Default Best canoe movies

Hi

Solo Playboating & Drill Time (Solo Playboating 2) both by Kent Ford.

Both worth watching to get some tips about moving water and what you can do with a small boat.

PB

Default Best Canoe Films

For me it's got to be 'Cesars Birch Bark Canoe'. A great film by the Canadian Film foundation showing how a birch bark canoe is made - I guess it was filmed in the late 60's early 70's. It has no narration, but just shows the whole process of a Birch Bark Canoe being made from harvesting the bark to making the paddle. The section where the dog falls off a ladder always has my mate in stitches and the bit where Cesar smooths on molten resin on the seams with his thumb shows that the man was made from leather. Well worth it.

We saw an old western ("Run of the arrow" i think, though i may be wrong) a few days ago. There were a couple of shots of the indians in canoes paddling very badly. Swapping sides on every stroke and holding the shaft with both hands ignoring the t-grip at the top.

I would agree about Solo Playboating & Drill Time. I watch them all the time. One thing I noticed the other day that i found anoying is they show you lots of breaking out to get on a surf wave or to ferry glide but don't mention how to break out if you just want to go down river.
    Rogue

Anyone else seen Grey Owl with Pierce Bronson (I'm not very good with actors names - I mean the guy who last played James Bond!)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector
    Anyone else seen Grey Owl with Pierce Bronson (I'm not very good with actors names - I mean the guy who last played James Bond!)
    Now but since my wife fancies Pierce Brosnan it is a canoe film I might be allowed to watch at home
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

That was on TV a couple of times last year.
    I thought it was good but then I don't watch many films.

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Default Grey Owl

Grey Owl is worth watching, but there isn't a whole lot of canoeing in it, I'm afraid. Just odd bits.

Whatever you do, DON'T read the DVD packaging. Just watch it. Afterwards you'll see why

Ben

What's your best canoe movie - Deliverance?
    got to be Deliverance - no competition

Has anybody seen the Paddle Snake videos? May just be a local thing from back home. A lot of 5+ open boating!
    Lucas
    --------
    He who dies with the most stories, wins.

Lancashire, somewhere in the Tenth Century

Just been watching "Last of the Mohicans".

Not too much canoeing but nice cinematography.
    Wayland
    "Trust me I'm a Viking"

Wayland's World

Originally posted by happybunny
    Grey Owl is worth watching, but there isn't a whole lot of canoeing in it, I'm afraid. Just odd bits.
    OK, so you want a film with lots of canoeing in, and not an instructional video but one with a story and a plot? Has anyone seen 'Paddle to the Sea' by Bill Mason? It's a story about a native american boy's carved toy canoe which he leaves on a snow drift in winter. The snow melts and carries down to the river, through the great lakes and on to the sea. Fantastic!!

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

OK, so you want a film with lots of canoeing in, and not an instructional video but one with a story and a plot? Has anyone seen 'Paddle to the Sea' by Bill Mason? It's a story about a native american boy's carved toy canoe which he leaves on a snow drift in winter. The snow melts and carries down to the river, through the great lakes and on to the sea. Fantastic!!
    Ah, thanks for the reminder, if this is the film I think it is, I saw it years back now, and I found it had a strangely odd sort of charm about it, even then, as a young lad ... maybe the journey was a kinda metaphor, or maybe it was just a little carved wooden boat I dunno - I'd like to see it again now ...

Default Agree

Agree

and the bit where he whittles a paddle & paddles off into the sunset with his wife just makes it.

Alastair

Quote Originally Posted by Gweedo
    For me it's got to be 'Cesars Birch Bark Canoe'. A great film by the Canadian Film foundation showing how a birch bark canoe is made - I guess it was filmed in the late 60's early 70's. It has no narration, but just shows the whole process of a Birch Bark Canoe being made from harvesting the bark to making the paddle. The section where the dog falls off a ladder always has my mate in stitches and the bit where Cesar smooths on molten resin on the seams with his thumb shows that the man was made from leather. Well worth it.

Journal Entries

Bill Mason's Song of the paddle is one of my favorites. It has a lot of humor in it as well as bad music. It is short at 40 minutes or so but worth a look.
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 16th-May-2006 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Copyright infringment

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue
    We saw an old western ("Run of the arrow" i think, though i may be wrong) a few days ago. There were a couple of shots of the indians in canoes paddling very badly. Swapping sides on every stroke and holding the shaft with both hands ignoring the t-grip at the top.

Not to comment on the quality of the movie, but many Lakes Ojibwe paddles in la pays den haute did not have a T-grip and were used with both hands grasping the shaft. Supposition is - this allowed them to reverse the paddle and use it for poling in shallow water.

Not to comment on the quality of the movie, but many Lakes Ojibwe paddles in la pays den haute did not have a T-grip and were used with both hands grasping the shaft. Supposition is - this allowed them to reverse the paddle and use it for poling in shallow water.

I have several photos and paintings of this type of paddle, and one such paddle in my collection (which is up north and not currently available to photograph) but am unable to find an example on the net. The best such depiction has been removed from every site where it was listed at the request of the St. Louis Historical Society which is extremely jealous of its perogatives.
    Last edited by pierre girard; 16th-May-2006 at 03:15 AM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quote Originally Posted by gnac
    What's your best canoe movie - Deliverance?
    I seem to remember the guy who did the canoe stunts in Deliverence used to paddle with flippers on for the swims.

[quote=lucas]got to be Deliverance - no competition

For any one thats interested, its on tonight(Sat 27th) on channel five.

Just watched it - yeah your right. Top movie

Default Documentaries?

Not movies but documentaries, apart from the one of Ray Mears building his birch bark canoe which was fascinating. A while back there was a beautiful documentary about an old hunter living in the lakes of the headwaters of the Mississippi. Its was quite beautiful, and inspirational.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thompson
    Not movies but documentaries, apart from the one of Ray Mears building his birch bark canoe which was fascinating. A while back there was a beautiful documentary about an old hunter living in the lakes of the headwaters of the Mississippi. Its was quite beautiful, and inspirational.
    Wonder what lake that was? The headwaters (Lake Itasca) is surrounded by a large state park. No one lives there (except rangers).
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default upper mississippi??

It was not one lake so much as a huge wetland area, with numerous lakes and canals. He was the last of the old time hunters, lived on what he took, and no more. Had a beautiful way of talking - reeeeaaal slooow! It looked like a fantastic place for canoe/camping.

Default Mississippi: Tales of the Last River Rat

Last night, (BBC2 Monday), that was the program I was talking about. A beautiful film, what a fantastic place.

I saw that last night by chance, really nice film.

Quote Originally Posted by Gweedo
    Sounds good - any idea where I can get/watch it from?

Looks like you will just have to wait till it comes out again. The guy's name is Kenny Salwey, and he seems to have written books on the same theme. This documentary won awards, so it will come around again I am sure. All this from digging around the internet.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I've got this stacked up in my download queue, so I have no idea if it's any good, but it's only 14Mb, so it's not a long download (ok, so it is if you are on a dial-up connection of course).

Building Wood Canvas Canoes (2006)

Watch as Don Merchant of Pole and Paddle Canoe walks you through the construction of a traditional wood canvas Maine Guide canoe.
    ... in six and a bit minutes.

OT a bit, but archive.org is an absolute treasure house of stuff, there is a lot of interesting material available through that site, it's well worth a poke around on. Try 'canoe' as a search term and see what catches your eye.

Default A film for Tenboats - Ten Canoes

A new film out of Australia - Filmed in aboriginal language Ten Canoes is a film about a tribal love triangal set in a time before white settlers came to Australia. Not sure it will hit main stream UK picture houses but thought it sounded interesting> Full review here:
    http://movieguide.news.com.au/movies/?title_id=13415
    Regards

SuperNova

The movie that started it for me was "THE TRAP", late sixties, Oliver Read and Rita Tushingham. Story of a French Trapper and a girl mute that he buys and takes back to the wilderness, plent of canoeing, great perfomances from both of them, fantastic scenery and music

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thompson
    It was not one lake so much as a huge wetland area, with numerous lakes and canals. He was the last of the old time hunters, lived on what he took, and no more. Had a beautiful way of talking - reeeeaaal slooow! It looked like a fantastic place for canoe/camping.
    I believe I've heard of the show you're referring to. Way south - southern Wisconsin. He picks ginseng. You don't see that up here.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

the cockelshell heroes
    Ok not about cones but two man kayaks based on a commando mission in world war two I havenít seen it in years but I remember it was a good watch

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gnac
    What's your best canoe movie - Deliverance? I would go for Black Robe - the story of Jesuits in Canada. Very realistic canoe stuff. I did a search and it seams it's only available in North America - pity.

The Bill Mason movies( Waterwalker, Path of the Paddle,Song of the Paddle), 'Deliverance'(reminds me of a couple trips I took in the early 80s[without the buggery, of course])
    It was inspiriting to hear the regular dip of the paddles, as if they were our fins or flippers, and to realize that we were at length fairly embarked. ...

Just got a DVd called "The Last Trapper" where a guy and his Native partner play themselves. It's about his life as a trapper in the Yukon, in the present, haven't watched it yet but glanced through it, he uses a birchbark canoe, dogsled and horse to get about, from what I've seen glancing through it, there's pleny canoe footage, really looks good.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Just got a DVd called "The Last Trapper" where a guy and his Native partner play themselves. It's about his life as a trapper in the Yukon, in the present, haven't watched it yet but glanced through it, he uses a birchbark canoe, dogsled and horse to get about, from what I've seen glancing through it, there's pleny canoe footage, really looks good.
    If this is the book about the guy from Michigan and his Eskimo wife and two daughters - Started on the book last autumn. Didn't quite finish it. Very interesting read.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Pierre,
    Just finished watching it, about a guy called Norman Winther, who traps in Yukon, he knows his way round a Birchbark Canoe and a Paddle, that's for sure, he tackles a rapid that is downright scary, well to me anyway
    The scenery is nothing short of stunning and the photgraphy and music are first class, not the greatest of storylines, but then it's about the authentic life of a modern day trapper. Definately worth a look.

Not canoe related at all (although there may have been some canoes in it) , but I've just recalled a TV show from the mid 1980's maybe (back when I still had a TV!), called River Journeys, or something similar. The only one I can recall clearly was with Michael Wood travelling down the Congo on some kinda tramp steamer / floating village thing for a month or so.

I'm going from memory, but it struck me as a very interesting program, as much for the experience of travelling by water as much as anything else.

I've just had a look for details of it online, but not come up with anything more than this yet.

ive just read through every post hear and am shocked and apaulled that no one has mentioned the edge starring anthony hopkins and alec baldwin. ok so theres not much authentic canoeing but it really is a great show. The scenery always puts me in the mood for an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by nishishinandy View Post
    ive just read through every post hear and am shocked and apaulled that no one has mentioned the edge starring anthony hopkins and alec baldwin. ok so theres not much authentic canoeing but it really is a great show. The scenery always puts me in the mood for an adventure.

Or"The River Wild" with Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon.....B Movie plot, but cool rafting and scenery....
    It was inspiriting to hear the regular dip of the paddles, as if they were our fins or flippers, and to realize that we were at length fairly embarked. ...

I have to second "The Black Robe". Stunning !!!!

And second "Last of the Mohicans" also for the scenery (which is a story unto itself).
    Oh, and I also second anything Bill Mason, and Becky Mason's new (4yrs old) instructional movie.

BB
    I take people way out into the woods and then do things with them.

Were can you see, get, buy any of Bill Masons films?

Journal Entries

The National Film Board of Canada (NFB)

They have the Path of the paddle series all together for the first time on DVD as well as Waterwalker, Song of the paddle, etc. They are coded Multiregional so they will work in the UK.

http://www.nfb.ca/trouverunfilm/listerecherche.php

just do a search on Bill Mason
    Last edited by Lloyd; 28th-August-2006 at 11:23 PM.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Default Bill Mason films

Best now to get the DVD versions, as you might wear out the videos studying them!
    One good mail order is Bear Creek:
    http://www.bearcreekadventure.co.uk/...oducts_id=1382

Journal Entries

Just finished watching Grey Owl on Tele. Not a bad film. Canadian canoe legend Hap Wilson was actually James Bond's canoe teacher on that film.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Cree Hunters of the Mistassini......National Film Board of Canada
    http://www2.nfb.ca/boutique/ibeCCtpI...eCZzpEntry.jsp

http://www.nfb.ca/trouverunfilm/fich...20${Mistassini}

Absolutely my favorite, and I have seen almost everything mentioned so far. Follows a Cree family on the East Coast of James Bay in the early 70's for an entire season on their trapline. Shows people still living in an environment where the canoe is a vehicle for survival....they essentially make everything they will need to survive for an entire winter. Made by an Enlishman too.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 22nd-October-2006 at 11:32 PM. Reason: change link to English

Quote Originally Posted by Gweedo View Post
    Hi I have been trying to find a copy of this for ages! Any idea where I can find one?

Into the Great Solitude by Robert Perkins. an account of a nine week solo paddle in northern Canada.

Any of the Jones films. - The Orinocco, The Blue Nile and - Canoeing down Everest. - classics.

Once upon a time, a long long time ago I saw a film (16mm) about the Susitna gorge in Alaska.

Default Last Trapper

I enjoyed "The Last Trapper" for the stunning cinemagtography and an interesting story.

However, don't make the mistake of believing it to be a documentary. The main character is indeed the trapper he portrays, but he says in the special features that he isn't a water man at all, and prefers the land. He is shown in the special features holding on to a horse for dear life as it swims across the river (horse trainer yelling to let go). He is also dubbed, so the voice we are hearing isn't his either.

The birchbark canoe goes through some serious rapids I wouldn't take a bark canoe though. However, a close look reveals that the birchbark canoe, through the magic of television, suddenly becomes a rockered whitewater OC-1 with flotation just before entering the big stuff.

Like I said - great show, worth watching, but not a pure documentary by any means.

As for favourite movies - I have a few. All the Mason stuff, "This is Canoeing" by Curgenven, and a few old NFB of Canada ones. Check out the NFB.ca archive, as many are now free to view.

Default Best movie

I recently tried to buy Path of the Paddle and Water Walker from the Canadian Film Board but they wanted about five million dollars for them. Anyone got any ideas on where I can pick up a copy. I have tried eBay but no joy???

Default Mason films on DVD

Quote Originally Posted by CharenteCharlie View Post
    I recently tried to buy Path of the Paddle and Water Walker from the Canadian Film Board but they wanted about five million dollars for them. Anyone got any ideas on where I can pick up a copy. I have tried eBay but no joy???
    http://www.redcanoes.ca/store/dvds.html

Also look for a little known Bill Mason film.. Quetico..his first film with Christopher Chapman. He is quite young..just a boy.

http://www.redcanoes.ca/bill/firereview.html

Dont know if Becky and Reid have this particular DVD for sale.
    "Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing." WS-prophecy about internet postings.

Default One man's art is another trash.

I have trouble with Deliverance being a great canoe movie. I recall the crash scene as making my blood pressure go up as it was so bad. They split an Aluminum canoe in two parts with a canoe crash which is totally impossible. Perhaps I am just to picky.

Ten Canoes is a hoot. It did put the rest of the family asleep but I enjoyed it even being in a foreign language. The director's section was equally interesting. How the film happened with out actors but local natives. Not to mention the bark canoes were interesting and historical. The nudity and jokes may turn off some but it did have a deeper story.
    Dr. Joe
    Electric Hospital
    Coos Bay Or
    http://electrichospital.com

there is a nice collection also here:
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...10-Canoe-Films

For what it's worth... I did a short adaptation of this theme, which was originally from a children's book written in 1941 by American author/artist Holling C. Holling. For my version, I made it more contemporary and based it on family canoe trip in Canada's arctic. Here's the youtube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3G18sBKsDo

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Bull View Post

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Waterwalker and the one about the 3 Cree families trapping in Canada!
    Don't you just love this NFB site!

"I'm very good at hearing badly but very good with my bad eyesight"

Pocahontas

So there might not be that much canoeing in it and yes I probably am too old for Disney but I still like it anyway
    Made with Love for a Heartless world

Rolf, that's a great film, congratulations.
    Bacon sarnie anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Joe View Post
    I have trouble with Deliverance being a great canoe movie. I recall the crash scene as making my blood pressure go up as it was so bad. They split an Aluminum canoe in two parts with a canoe crash which is totally impossible. Perhaps I am just to picky.

Ten Canoes is a hoot. It did put the rest of the family asleep but I enjoyed it even being in a foreign language. The director's section was equally interesting. How the film happened with out actors but local natives. Not to mention the bark canoes were interesting and historical. The nudity and jokes may turn off some but it did have a deeper story.
    See now, it actually made my blood pressure go up too - albeit for slightly different reasons - because it was a beautiful green cedar and canvas canoe. Such a waste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast