Thread: Be careful who you paddle with...

Default Be careful who you paddle with...

First; I am in no position to make a judgement here as I do not know all the circumstances and was not there at the scene however as a firearms user both professionally and recreationally I know that squezing the trigger at 4am without a clear sight picture is irresponsible and potentially deadly. In this case fatal.

The only speculation I will make is that the young man was likely motivated by fear of his personal safety and awoken with a jolt of adrenaline, however with the destructive often fatal consequences that comes with the careless use of firearms persons motivated by fear should not be carrying them.

My general rule is that you never ever need firearms on a canoe trip. Unless you do. If you do need them, then you need to be calm and well trained under stressful conditions otherwise you are like an un certified scuba diver or sky diver likely to get yourself and your friends killed.

NAMAY FALLS, Man. - A teenager who was mistaken for a bear outside a tent has been shot and killed in a remote area of northeastern Manitoba by a fellow camper.
    RCMP Sgt. Line Karpish said four friends were camping at Namay Falls on Sunday, when one of them was woken up at 4 a.m. by a noise. He thought it was a bear and it was close to the tent.
    The 22-year-old fired a shot, only to discover he had hit one of his camping buddies.
    Someone called 911 and officers arrived by helicopter to find the group "very distraught," Karpish said.
    "It is certainly a very sad reminder of the great responsibility that comes with handling firearms."
    The four friends had been dropped into their campsite by helicopter and were just beginning a canoe trip down the Bloodvein River, Karpish said. The tragic shooting occurred during their first night in the wilderness.
    Sadly, Karpish said it's not that unusual for people to be mistaken for wildlife and shot accidentally.
    "These people were out in the middle of nowhere and there are bears out there and cougars. There may be other types of wildlife that may pose a threat," she said. "In this case, the young man believed it was a bear and fired the gun."
    The victim is a 17-year-old from Steinbach, Man., Karpish said. Police will not be releasing his name.
    An autopsy is scheduled in Winnipeg. RCMP are continuing to investigate but Karpish said no charges have been laid.
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/manitoba-te...164634800.html

Where I live I typically only carry a few weeks in the spring and a few weeks in the fall. In unknown or remote areas that I am not familliar with I will carry if local laws allow. I do not use tents (since discovering hammocks) and am better able to assess the situation instantly that way. Also I have a pretty powerful little police light on the forend of my shotgun for target ID.
    I would feel like ten tons of crap for even lighting up a fellow camper with the search light but I can only imagine what the young man in Manitoba is going through. It was a costly piece of education that will take years to recover from. His friend of course is not going to recover.

Personally my first instict is always the Canon T3 camera rather than the Remington 870 canon but firearms, fear and youth are a bad combo at 4am.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

jeez oh, what a shame, not even a warning shout or anything. one of the cases where if any 1 of 100 things was done differently, it wouldn't have happened. sad
    Cheers,

Alan

That is desperately sad. A good lesson though.

I strongly suspect that there was far more here than we know, or ever will know. So-called "sound shots" have caused many tragedies like this over the years, and NO trained and disciplined shooter would EVER do such a thing.

My guess? Pretty sure alcohol was involved, and a high probability of very stupid 'horseplay' on the part of the victim - 'pranking' his friends by possibly pawing at their tent and/or making growling sounds in the middle of the night - he was 17.........makes more sense of this than anything else I can think of.

All very sad.

Possible. I doubt alcohol was involved on the bloodvein as they were flown in but you never know. I usually apply Occam's razor to weed out ideas but due to the age here RCMP are not saying much.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong

I'm going with either someone just getting up for something in the night (toilet, hearing a noise or yeah, a bit of horseplay) ... perhaps the shooter is just a little too tense, and it all just ends badly.

Who knows, maybe a quick shout would have saved the day, maybe not ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Possible. I doubt alcohol was involved on the bloodvein as they were flown in but you never know. I usually apply Occam's razor to weed out ideas but due to the age here RCMP are not saying much.
    You would not imagine the cases of beer I have seen ooze from a Beaver...Not saying they were or not. But flying in does not mean no ETOH.
    "Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing." WS-prophecy about internet postings.

Its a bit like that guy in SA. OH? Noise coming from toilet. "Must be burglar!". Shoots dead his girlfriend.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/