Thread: paddle grip

Thumbs up paddle grip

hi after buying several new split paddles with plastic grips the scratches rip your hands to pieces after a few days , have a look at this stuff its great http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NON-SLIP-T...item2c69756651

Quote Originally Posted by beat106 View Post
    hi after buying several new split paddles with plastic grips the scratches rip your hands to pieces after a few days , have a look at this stuff its great http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NON-SLIP-T...item2c69756651
    Same stuff we use on beach casters,when you put it on use boiling water from a kettle as a heat gun can burn holes in it.A hair dryer wont get hot enough to shrink it down nice and tight and you'll end up with wrinkles

I prefer to cover the grip on carbon and aluminium paddles with sportstape, the white stuff used to treat sports injuries. Cheap as chips and greatly improves grip (and helps against cold shafts in winter!). Besides you can put it on any paddle (canoe, kayak, split, one piece) without problems, no wrinkles etc. If you don't like white, bicycle stores sell the same tape to cover steers in all sorts of colours.

The main drawback is that the white turns off-white and grey after a while but other than that it's perfect!

Cheers,
    Michiel

Default Paddle grip

interesting topic......topical for me particularly right now.On Wednesday I paddled down Lomond covering thirty odd miles all at a nice clip in my Prism paddling with my Zaveral. The day went very well indeed but driving home I wondered why my right hand was feeling hot on the wheel of my car and noted a big blister in my palm .I can only figure that maybe the spray off the loch which kept my hands wet caused this. It is no big deal as this was not on a multi day jaunt but a days run.The thing is had I required to do the same on Thursday it would not have been clever as the thing really burned after it tore open. Note to self keep the hands drier on the carbons to prevent repeat of this stupidity. willie
    "Every action of our lives touches on
    some chord that will vibrate in eternity"

Edwin Hubbel Chapin

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    Same stuff we use on beach casters,when you put it on use boiling water from a kettle as a heat gun can burn holes in it.A hair dryer wont get hot enough to shrink it down nice and tight and you'll end up with wrinkles
    I'll love the smell of burning shrink tube! Smells like rod building...

I dont like too much grip on my paddles. On flat water I like the loose feel , I spin the paddle at the end of a stroke. Bad habit? I dunno??

Is this shrink tube stuff on Ebay grippy, Beat? I need some grippy stuff ironiically for my beach casters! Karakol just falls apart. (tennis bat handle stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Teign Beaver View Post
    On flat water I like the loose feel , I spin the paddle at the end of a stroke. Bad habit? I dunno??

No it's not a bad habit.. It's got a fancy name that has nothing to do with eating veggies..Palm Roll.. Most likely you recover to start your next stroke with the paddle in the water.
    "Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing." WS-prophecy about internet postings.

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
    No it's not a bad habit.. It's got a fancy name that has nothing to do with eating veggies..Palm Roll.. Most likely you recover to start your next stroke with the paddle in the water.
    Thanks for making me feel better about myself YC. Its part of and after the direction correction bit, end of stroke in the water finished out of the water

Right am fixing meself a palm roll, sounds nice!