Thread: River Dee

Default River Dee

River Dee

Trevor to Erbistock / Overton Bridge

Has anyone done this stretch of the Dee I was hoping to take the family out. What would you think is the minimum level it could be done at. Mile End Mill is hardly reaching one on the gauge at the moment is this too low?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Did you go on this trip, as it sounds like something i would like to do with my son?
    If so, could you give me any info about your day?
    Thanks
    Rick

Hi Rick

My kids who are four and two it is a nice safe paddle for them.

We did do the trip and the get in on the bridge near Trevor is a little awkward for a group to get in but we found a better one down a track to a pumping station. This is right next to the bridge we even left a car there all day and there was no problems. There is a large pool here to warm up on but there is a tree across the river here too on a nice little rapid. You can paddle over to the river left bank and take a look first. But the river is very interesting with small rapids coming up often and the scenery is a complete change to the Severn and Wye. There is another fallen tree but for the brave you could just squeeze down the left hand side (there is an eddy here too)

If I do it again I would get out at the Boat Inn rather than Overton bridge as the river is a little flat and offers nothing interesting. The get out at Overton bridge is also made difficult by having to carry your canoe over a busy road with a national speed limit.

It was a bit of a scrape in places but the gauge at Mile End Mill was only reading one.
    When I do it again I would want it to be on at least two. If you are considering doing it let me know as I know others who did it with me want to return. Or you could post something on our forum(link below) as I am sure you would get some takers.

If I can help more just ask.

www.themisfits.eamped.com

Steve