Thread: A canoe sail from a dinghy sail

Default A canoe sail from a dinghy sail

I don't know if this idea has been covered before but if not.............. as an ex dinghy sailor we had a lot of old sails in the back of the garage so when looking to build a sailing rig for my canoe it seemed sensible to make use of them. I wanted a lug sail so after a bit of juggling to get the correct area required a section was cut from the sail. The aerofoil shape is not completely lost so the with a bit of sewing machine work and clews etc added a very serviceable sail can be obtained for very little effort. An Enterprise sail was used and two batten pockets were within the area used so the sail set very crisply.
    Like this

I retained the leech and luff so only had to re stitch the foot and head. Sorry no pics of the sail on a boat as I sold it on and never got round to taking pics.
    Paul
    Just goin with the flow

I've got the rigging and sails for an old mirror dinghy (now dust and ashes) around somewhere - seems a sensible way to get some more use out of it . . .
    ​Change is inevitable; progress is optional.

My good friend (and canoe sailing buddy) Graham D who isn't a SOTPer used a GP14 Genoa as a basis for a mainsail for his canoe with great success and then upgraded to a Topper sail. He now uses a Solway Dory rig which he reckons is more efficient than either but that doesn't alter the fact that the other sails did the job just fine for a few years.

Here's a couple of pics of the GP14 sail at OCSG Tighnabruaich 2011 (pics courtesy of Greg Spencer).

and the Topper sail on Loch Lomond.

You would still need to open the ends of the leech and luff tapes as you need to patch the peak,throat,tack and clew.All layers must be stitched individually before taping the head and foot.Then replace the metalwork.
    Lugsails are usually vertical cut.
    Last edited by silverbirch; 28th-May-2013 at 09:23 PM. Reason: adding a bit
    So we beat on,boats against the current,bourne back ceaselessly into the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
    My good friend (and canoe sailing buddy) Graham D who isn't a SOTPer used a GP14 Genoa as a basis for a mainsail for his canoe with great success and then upgraded to a Topper sail.
    and the Topper sail on Loch Lomond.

Do you know if he used just the Topper sail or the whole rig (or indeed parts of), I've thought about using the whole thing but the mast and sail does feel pretty unwieldy compared to a windsurfing rig (carbon mast etc), probably fine with a bit of wind to balance against, but theres a lot of weight waving about if the wind disappears.
    Its difficult to reach your toys once you've thrown them from the pram.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickboy View Post
    Do you know if he used just the Topper sail or the whole rig (or indeed parts of), I've thought about using the whole thing but the mast and sail does feel pretty unwieldy compared to a windsurfing rig (carbon mast etc), probably fine with a bit of wind to balance against, but theres a lot of weight waving about if the wind disappears.
    No, he just used the sail. The rest of the rig he put together himself (he used a section of windsurfer mast as a boom IIRC). The problem with using a windsurfer mast as a mast is that they're designed to flex a lot and most dinghy sails are designed to set on a stiffer mast but it definitely could be done to get you on the water.

Thanks for the reply, you do have some options with a windsurfing mast, the icms rating helps you work out the stiffness, plus some are marked constant curve or flexi tip, plus a huge array of lengths, get a good stiff (high icms rating) long flexitip and chop off the top, just a matter of keeping an eye out on ebay I suppose.
    Its difficult to reach your toys once you've thrown them from the pram.