Thread: How to make a woven centre seat - a Tutorial.

Default How to make a woven centre seat - a Tutorial.

My two boys are now at an age where sitting on a piece of sponge on the floor is no longer acceptable to them and since they both have their own paddles and want to Ďhelpí with the paddling it made sense to finally do something about it and give them a proper seat.

Those that know me will probably agree that wherever possible I always like to make my own equipment/gear. Perhaps itís because Iím a Yorkshire man and hate to spend when I can make it myself or perhaps itís just that I like to add that personal touch but either way a new seat was a nice little project to get stuck into.

The following tutorial is just my interpretation of how to make a seat and there are many ways to do it. (I had specific requirements).
    One of my favourite books is ĎBuilding a Strip Canoeí by Gil Gilpatrick and there is a very good section in there on seats so if you fancy a go yourself and this tutorial doesnít give you enough detail then thatís a good buy.

So hereís how I made it.

Firstly gather all the bits and pieces together for the build.
    Plastic cane and ash pieces cut to the required size for your requirements.

Joining the pieces is up to you, you can screw, dowel or in my case create mortice and tennon joints for extra strength.

Gluing the parts together.

And holding in place. Note the additional centre piece, this is not necessary for a single seat but as this one is a two seater I figured it might be a good idea so that when the cane was woven in place it didnít bow the two long pieces when they were under tension. Itís not the same depth as the end pieces so it doesnít touch the weave but is purely there to stop the bowing.

Holes drilled and first routering done. I recessed the upper side slightly so that the cane was not proud of the upper surface when finished. Not necessary but visually better in my opinion.

Underneath side showing recessed channel for plastic cane to sit. Again not necessary but a nice feature.

Final hand smoothing done and a layer of oil applied. Ash really does have a nice grain.

Into the house now and the first stage of cane woven.

Two further stages. One over the first and one under. No weaving has occurred at this point.

After struggling for a few passes on the fourth stage (the first weaving) I devised this long needle from a bicycle spoke with a small kink in one end and an eye in the other. Just push the needle from one side to the other rotating half a turn for every thread you pass by. The kink alternately loops over then under the next thread as you push through.

When the needle is all the way across loop your cane through the eye and pull it through. A very good tip at this stage is to grease the cane with Vaseline to make it slip through easier. The tighter the weave becomes the more important it is to do this.

Two passes done in the horizontal and vertical directions. The little pegs are used to hold the cane in place before you tie the ends off.

The fifth stage is to weave diagonally over and under the pairs in stages one to four, firstly in one diagonal and then the other.

Tying off the loose ends on the back of the seat required a little help when passing through existing loops. I found a cork screw just lifted the loops nicely to pass the end under.

Fiddly but the effect was worth it.

The completed seat sitting roughly in position with hangers and bolts ready to go.

The seat sits slightly lower than the others as it is primarily for two small boys so the seat bolts have been lengthened by the use of brass threaded inserts and additional bolts.

The seat in its final position.

And the intended recipients ready to go.

Shortly after fitting the new seat I noticed this on the original bow seat.

Guess what Iím doing shortly?
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 16th-November-2015 at 03:30 PM.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Beautiful work.

Rat
    You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Blimey Rob, that looks really good! Impressed.

So, if you need more practice, I've always thought, when tandem, that my stern seat was just a little too narrow for my fat bum...

I note that the natural direction to swing paddles from there is at the bow paddler, and that the stern seat is well out of range. I fully expect to see Liz in the stern more often now!

I also note the thwart seems to have disappeared...no more solo passes for a while then!

Seeing your canoe reminds me just how desperately the wood needs treating on mine...
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Very nice work Rob

Proper job, Rob

That's got me wondering if the seating on my commercial seats from KNW is also plastic cane ... it'd make sense.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Thanks for the comments guys, it was quite therapeutic to make but the weave took 2/3 of the total build.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Blimey Rob, that looks really good! Impressed.

So, if you need more practice, I've always thought, when tandem, that my stern seat was just a little too narrow for my fat bum...

I note that the natural direction to swing paddles from there is at the bow paddler, and that the stern seat is well out of range. I fully expect to see Liz in the stern more often now!

I also note the thwart seems to have disappeared...no more solo passes for a while then!

Seeing your canoe reminds me just how desperately the wood needs treating on mine...
    We found that with the boys between the aft thwart and centre thwart we kept clashing paddles but between the bow and centre thwart that didn't happen. There's plenty of space between them and the bow paddler .All the camping and cooking gear goes between the centre thwart and aft thwart now with space under the seats if required.

The kneeling thwart is temporarily removed so I can clean it up and re-oil it. It WILL be going back in soon perhaps with a quick release mechanism and the double seat is going to have a tweak to make it fully removable now I have some brass wing nuts to fit under it.

When you see the new wood against the old you do notice the difference which is why I took the opportunity to sand and oil it all at the same time.
    Bootstrap

Wow that's superb ... Love the router work

Nice work Rob - be interesting to compare notes with baggage & kids

A

Superb.....looks very nice work Rob!!
    To Canoe is to be moved!!!

Bumped so a friend can find it.

Here is the seat being used on a recent trip.

And here it is being used not quite as intended
    Bootstrap

Complete with extra foam

I notice my bow seat is also starting to look a bit the worse for wear. And I've always thought it was a bit narrow too. Thank goodness I don't have time to do this at the moment, or I'd have to come up with some other excuse for not getting round to it...
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

With the updated post it reminded me this should have been made into an article on the front pages. It is now
    John