Thread: Moderating the access campaign forum

Default Moderating the access campaign forum

I am moderating this forum. I thought should explain how I am doing this.

As you will be aware this is a private web site. The Access Forum exists by the favour of Magikelly, the site's owner. Moderation is performed by volunteers. It is a privilege to use this forum. It has already made a valuable contribution to the cause of Access in this country.

You know that passions run high on this forum, because many people care deeply about the subject. On the other hand we cannot let this passion cause a drop in the high standards that apply right throughout the site.

I am following these guidelines:

1. Please do not disrespect other members or the site itself. Please no criticism or impolite speech.

2. Please stick the topic of the thread.

3. Please try not to repeat arguments that have already been expressed. It gets tedious to read the same thing over and over again.

4. Please remember this is a family site, read by youngsters.

These guidelines are just common sense to me. I hope you agree.

I have no intention of censoring any argument that is within the guidelines. You are welcome to post whether you are in favour or against the campaign's objectives.

I will delete posts that I feel break the guidelines. I do not have time to enter into any correspondence about decisions I make. I know I will be wrong sometimes. I also know I have broken these guidelines myself in previous posts.

So far I have deleted a few posts, mainly on the grounds of disrespect to other members.
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Good on you for taking on such a difficult and worthwhile task. Reputation increased.

Also, please remember Doug, everything in moderation, including moderation !

I deleted a post this morning because it was slightly disrespectful to another member. Just imagine you are speaking to Her Majesty the Queen, and you will be OK.
    Doug Dew

I just deleted an off- topic post. Looked at the thread title, looked at the post... No connection so I deleted it. There were plenty of other off- topic posts on this thread, but you have to start somewhere.
    Doug Dew

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    I just deleted an off- topic post. Looked at the thread title, looked at the post... No connection so I deleted it. There were plenty of other off- topic posts on this thread, but you have to start somewhere.
    Are you sure you have enough spare time for this role, I imagine it could be a full time post.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

One to two people are still not getting it. I deleted a post for bringing into question, another member's honesty. Would you say that to Her Majesty?
    Doug Dew

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

I deleted a post this morning because it was slightly disrespectful to another member. Just imagine you are speaking to Her Majesty the Queen, and you will be OK.
    If I'd imagined that, I'd get barred !!!

"I'm very good at hearing badly but very good with my bad eyesight"

Hi Doug,

How does the access campaign moderation work ... are posts vetted prior to ever going live (in which case there might be anticipated to be a delay in the post being seen and the poster might think it's been vetoed when it hasn't, at least it hasn't as yet) ... or do they go live and if suspect they are subsequently deleted ... or a mixture of both?

thanks,

Mike.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote ... "Potty Paddler ... Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting."

It answers my previous question :-)

Could just allow both
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Default P,f,l,o,p

One to two people are still not getting it. I deleted a post for bringing into question, another member's honesty. Would you say that to Her Majesty?
    Doug, just a point of order, I reserve the right the call into question good Queen Bess's honesty, in the unlikely

event that I concider it necessary,though in truth I would hesitate to say such a thing about anyone on this forum.

Just deleted a post... disrespect to another member...
    Doug Dew

Quite like this level of belief in personal responsibility

The rules are unwritten and if you can't guess what they are, then this isn't the forum for you.
    Last edited by John Saunders; 3rd-April-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to smiley

"The rules are unwritten and if you can't guess what they are, then this isn't the forum for you."'

I have tried to set out the rules in post #1 of this thread. They are imperfect but the best I can do. I like this quote too.
    Doug Dew

Someone joined the forum today, made three uninformed, off topic posts, which added nothing, and would be bound to start a fight... I deleted these posts... Unfortunately someone had responded, so I deleted the response too... This moderating gets a bit tricky at times...
    Doug Dew

It might be tricky, but I saw those silly posts (and resisted the urge to answer), and your action was 100% correct. Well done!

Keep a strait bat Doug !

Nipped a troll in the bud... Joined today... First post calculated to cause trouble... Bye bye...
    Doug Dew

A fight broke out on the Dovedale thread. I deleted the lot.
    Doug Dew

I would ask complainants about recent moderation to read post #1 of this thread. You have a choice between operating within these guidelines or a return to pre- post moderation or risking the cessation of the Access forum itself. Posting here is a privilege not a right.

Most of the recent problems has been caused by people who have been members for less than a week. Regular members then make the mistake of responding in kind. The general membership of this forum want this acrimonious discussion to cease.

Some of you feel unable to accept these guidelines and have decided not to post anymore. I respect your decision. I think it is the right one.
    Last edited by dougdew99; 15th-April-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    Doug Dew

Doug, thank you for doing this. A thankless task & not an easy job!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Default P,f,l,o,p

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Doug, thank you for doing this. A thankless task & not an easy job!
    Are you serious Mal !, Doug would not do it if he did not enjoy it, such power is not all bad, some people

like these tasks, thank goodness, otherwise there would be a shortage of referees and Traffic Wardens.

Some of you feel unable to accept these guidelines and have decided not to post anymore. I respect your decision. I think it is the right one.
    There was absolutely nothing wrong with what I posted Doug but you still felt obliged to remove it.I think this little bit of power has gone to your head.

...Comment unnecessary
    Last edited by Marcus2; 15th-April-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Sorry Marcus, I deleted your post in error. Now restored.
    Doug Dew

Thank you Doug

Cripes, now I am being disrespected... A power hungry Traffic Warden according to some...

I see myself more as a Samuel L Jackson figure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmvnXKRfdb8
    Last edited by dougdew99; 15th-April-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    Doug Dew

We had a breakout of flaming today involving someone who calls himself Max Bygraves. He says is a fishing bailiff. I wanted to let him speak, because his posts were interesting as a view from someone on the 'other' side, but he was just too abusive, sarcastic, and impolite. It was exactly the sort of posting will bring about the closure of the Access forum. Any issues he might have can be resolved outside this forum. This is not the place for them. I am more than wiling to let him express his views if he can be polite.

So I have reluctantly deleted all his posts.
    Doug Dew