Thread: A Lemming Flies - prospector catamaran lake trials

Default A Lemming Flies - prospector catamaran lake trials

They told him it couldn’t be done!

They told him it shouldn’t be done!

They told him things would break / snap / spontaneously combust!

They said man was not meant to travel so fast and we would suffocate!

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...rms-laboratory

Woodworm replied “It’s a case of trial, error and perseverance. One day a Lemming will fly”

Guess what. Look up!

We took the prospector catamaran over to Rye watersports today to try her out on their lake with different types of rudders and steering oars. Wind was nne force 3 with gusts of around 13mph.

She sailed very well down wind and across the wind, the centreboard from the Old Town single canoe rig wants a bit more surface area to stop the boat “crabbing” when heading upwind but even so it was surprising how close to the wind we could sail.

The Viking style rudder proved not to be as effective as we had hoped, it was too close to the centreboard, moving the centre of resistance of the hull too far forward making tacking through the wind a bit difficult. We then replaced it with the rudder from the old town single canoe rig on the stern of one canoe and this improved things a lot but the rudder blade’s surface area needs to be a bit bigger. We tried a long steering sweep (thanks Gary) but found it was not as effective as the rudder.

Gybing was much easier than we expected, a mainsheet bridle at the stern has made this much more controllable.

The roller reefing arrangement on the mast with the shrouds worked perfectly with no snags or problems and there was no excessive tension on the shroud lines or canoe / crossbeam attachment points, nor any other gear failure.

Still more tests and refinements to come but looking good so far.

A couple of videos of the “Flying Lemming” in action

With the Viking steering oar;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7QJL...ature=youtu.be

And with the rudder from the Old Town rig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y2A3...ature=youtu.be

Ted also tried out a single prospector rig adapted from the Old Town set up but using a Solway dory sail instead of a Mirror dinghy sail. The existing leeboard and rudder were the perfect size and Ted found the prospector hull an absolute delight to sail. Quick, stable and responsive, he says its much easier to manoeuvre then the Old Town.

All in all a successful trial, many thanks to Steve from Rye Watersports for the use of the lake, they don’t usually allow catamarans, but when he heard what we wanted to test, curiosity got the better of him!

Last edited by twosugars; 20th-March-2013 at 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    "I intend to live forever. So far, so good..."

Where will you mount the cannon?

Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Dont encourage him Mal, he's already wondering if kay will let him store one of these in the lounge...

His motto is, if you are going to have one, have a BIG one!

Looks like fun, well done. I'm looking forward to hearing about future developments.

Nice one, seems to go really well too. Well done.

There is something very satisfying about making something yourself, especially if it works well. I love tinkering.

Why would catamarans not be allowed? Seems like a silly technicality to me.

I'm impressed with the structure, but my canoes aren't the same size or style. Maybe I could use the solo as an outrigger. ;-)

The videos were good; I'd like to watch one of you assembling the rig from the individual canoes.

Superb!!!
    To Canoe is to be moved!!!

Nice to see that you managed to get it working. It certainly looks stronger than the first musings. The strength will only be tested if you manage to get out in stronger winds though. The forces on the rig is proportional to the square of the wind speed. So if you take it out in 20mph winds, the loadings will be around 4 times greater. It does look like it will take it though.
    Sailing into the wind with a single rig on two canoes will always be slower than using just one hull with the same rig on, as in effect you have twice the drag and twice the windage of the single hull. It wont be able to point as high as the single hull. When we tried this we used a full rig in each hull.
    It will be safe and stable though, and downwind wont make so much difference to the speed
    Many dinghy sailing clubs dont want non standard boats sailing around on their patch of water. In effect they dont want you playing rugby on their bowling green. However as long as canoe sailors behave themselves when they are allowed on, and keep out of their way, we will slowly change their perspective.
    I sold a sailing canoe to a guy in Hull who wanted to sail on Hornsea Mere. The sailing club wouldnt let him on as it wasnt a standard sailing dinghy. This was a bit ironic as Hornsea was one of the clubs that started up in the late 19th century as a canoe sailing club. They had forgotten their roots. The OCSG has been invited to Hornsea this year though so hopefully we will be able to slowly change their ideas.

Thanks for the comments folks, Ted is more than pleased with the way she is going. we are hopefully heading down to Poole harbour for thursday and good friday to give the single prospector rig a run so i will post some photo's of that set up in action. We will take the cat rig with us and, light wind conditions permitting, try it with a larger rudder and keel. We are not intending taking her out in anything over a gentle breeze. - yet.

Rye Watersports main business seems to be windsurfing and they do a lot of beginners training during the season, they are understandably concerned about the consequences of an errant windsurfer straying into the path of say, a hobie cat at full speed - or vice versa.

Nice guy Steve, genuinely interested in what we were trying to do. Because it was a weekday, things are still fairly quiet for them. With no one else out on the water, he had no problem with us testing her out. He even came out on the duty safety boat to see how we were getting on and to have a better look. didnt bring a camera though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Where will you mount the cannon?

Nice one,Ted and Chris - the rafted sailing canoes a bit like the big polynesian sea going canoe illustrations-(next stop New Zealand ? )

As for Mal's quip about cannon -will this do ?

Potato guns are illegal in the US - surprise, surprise.

Is that what this is?

If you need a bigger rudder, give me the dimensions and I will spend half an hour and make one ready for when you arrive.

Brilliant ... I like it when a plan comes together ... but it's not a catamaran ... it's 2 rafted canoes ... as you can still take them apart, can't you?
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by No Idea View Post
    If you need a bigger rudder, give me the dimensions and I will spend half an hour and make one ready for when you arrive.
    Thanks for the offer mate but it's already built ,see my motto below

[QUOTE=Potty Paddler;467911]Brilliant ... I like it when a plan comes together ... but it's not a catamaran ... it's 2 rafted canoes ... as you can still take them apart, can't you?[/QU

Hi Potty, yes just like a hot air balloon is just a basket and a balloon when separated but is a tent a tent before it's erected ,If a tin whistle is made of tin then a fog horns wrongly named, these things confuse me ,like why is there only one monopolies commision, I'm going for

[QUOTE=woodworm;467922]
    Quote Originally Posted by Potty Paddler View Post
    Brilliant ... I like it when a plan comes together ... but it's not a catamaran ... it's 2 rafted canoes ... as you can still take them apart, can't you?[/QU

Hi Potty, yes just like a hot air balloon is just a basket and a balloon when separated but is a tent a tent before it's erected ,If a tin whistle is made of tin then a fog horns wrongly named, these things confuse me ,like why is there only one monopolies commision, I'm going for

It takes about ten minutes to separate the canoes and stow the cat rig on board. The solo rig is even quicker.

Note to self, check woodworm's medication in morning. Either its wrong, or he's been at the brass polish again!
    Last edited by twosugars; 23rd-March-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twosugars View Post
    All in all a successful trial, many thanks to Steve from Rye Watersports for the use of the lake, they don’t usually allow catamarans, but when he heard what we wanted to test, curiosity got the better of him!

I might be wrong ... I thoughts cats tended to be purpose built and not normally sailed or paddled as mono-hulls ... you've taken 2 canoes and rafted them and can sail the raft ... brill ... wouldn't call it a cat ... especially if there is a ban on felines.

Quote Originally Posted by twosugars View Post
    It takes about ten minutes to separate the canoes and stow the cat rig on board. The solo rig is even quicker.
    Note to self, check woodworm's medication in morning. Either its wrong, or he's been at the brass polish again!

Was looking for info on the upcoming Welsh Canoe Symposium earlier and found a pic of Phil Hadley from the previous 2010 edition ... wonder how Rye would feel about trimarans

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Woodworm made perfect sense to me.

But what was happening with the picture above. Did they not want to get the green canoe wet? There is a story here.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcUp View Post

But what was happening with the picture above. Did they not want to get the green canoe wet? There is a story here.
    For improvised sailing I think it deserves an innovation award :-)
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Quote Originally Posted by MarcUp View Post
    I did? my apologies it's unlikely to happen again, cheers MarcUp, modifications done and retesting next week