Thread: Heating With Peat

Default Heating With Peat

Made it to Ireland - finally. I think there will be a journal posting of all the gory details, but I'm finding heating with peat gives a whole new connotation to the phrase "Keeping the Home Fires burning." We went hunting, we didn't get any rabbits, but I did leave a pile of Irish venison with Bethy and Billy (my niece and her husband). We stayed in Dublin for a couple of nights. Then to Arklow for three nights, now County Mayo for the remainder.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

But doesn't peat smell lovely - particularly if you get it hand cut, rather than briquettes. Even though my family are from Dublin (so not country folk - they used coal) I still find the aroma of a peat fire strangely comforting.
    Damien

The smell of Peat burning is a part of Ireland, much like the black stuff.
    Hind sight is always 20/20

yes i miss the smell.
    can't be the only ones as i saw them selling this thing at dublin airport:

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pyranha View Post
    But doesn't peat smell lovely - particularly if you get it hand cut, rather than briquettes. Even though my family are from Dublin (so not country folk - they used coal) I still find the aroma of a peat fire strangely comforting.
    It smells great, but to me, foreign - and you probably get the same comfort from the smell of peat smoke that I get from smelling burning ash wood - the preferred heating wood we used while I was growing up. Different wood smokes pull up different memories. The smell of burning pines knots, filled with resin, always brings to mind my grandfather and campfires.

Thing here - in this cottage - the place was stone cold when we got here (stone building). I was up every three hours last night putting on more sod. Peat doesn't burn like wood. When we went to the hunting shack in February, we loaded up the stove with wood and the place was like a sauna in two hours. Here, it has taken 36 hours to get to a minimal comfort level - and this cottage is smaller than my hunting shack and the temps are not near as low! The stoves here in Ireland are tiny and this fireplace is the oddest thing I've ever seen - and I've built quite a number of fireplaces. There is no "firebox" and the fire is built out on the hearth. I may have to try building one like this. Very interesting!

For sod - we have some of the pressed stuff, but mostly hand cut (turves?). This morning, my daughter told me we can get free coal, so I went and got some. May be a little more restful tonight. We also gathered twigs every where we went and got a Duluth pack full so we don't need to buy any kindling.

The manager came round this morning, and asked if we'd had any trouble starting the fire. He seemed a little put out that we didn't require a demo.
    Last edited by pierre girard; 12th-March-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    now County Mayo for the remainder.
    If you go anywhere near Swinford CO. Mayo pop into Horkans Pub for a pint!

Its the damp that chills you! Takes ages to dehumidify an empty cottage
    Last edited by mayobren; 12th-March-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Sounds like you're having a grand time!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

It is a grand time! And don't get me wrong about the peat. I am primitive enough to enjoy seeing where my heat comes from. The fire place has a crane with trammels, and one of our duties today is to locate a kettle with bail to make Irish stew (not a kettle in the place!). Wing refuses to let us use the galvanized ash pail. I thought it would work fine if washed a bit.

I could easy stay a month, but Wing has to get back to work (how nice to be retired!).
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

No canoes here. You can rent kayaks, but prices are high. There is a great bay with lot of little gravel islands - looks like it would be fun to explore them, but I'm going to have to get over the "sticker shock" of the rental price.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

I look forward to full account! Sounds like so much fun being had.

My house is stone built and yep you need to keep it ward. Anyway out to split a bit more wood (for next winter not this).

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Paddling a Venture Prospector (in CoreLite X) using Downcreek Paddles

Hi Pierre
    I'm enjoying your posts. Sounds like you'll be back if your not careful.
    Eoin

Well, we are home. Yes, Eoin, It is quite likely we will be back to Ireland at some point. I've heard it said there is something special about Ireland, and I'd have to agree, though I'm not sure just what. The scenery is nice, gentle, but not dramatic, but not anything I'd cross an ocean to see twice - - - I'd have to say it was the people. I don't care for being around people too much, but the people we met in Ireland were just great. That, and it was just different enough to add some extra spice.

Best memory for me - the three of us sitting around the peat fire in the cottage, toasting our toes, sipping coffee, and play a card game. Best for Wing - walking the beach in Louisburgh with Sara one evening.

Not sure I will ever drive in Ireland again. I believe I was a bit over-confident in that regard. Not only are you driving on the left side of the road - with a vehicle that steers from the right, but my driveway is wider than some of the two lane roads we were on, and our gravel road, Hunter Lake Road, is wider than any road in Ireland except the four lanes (duel carriageway?). I'm convinced that if everyone wasn't so polite, no one would ever get anywhere. When we drove back to Duluth from Minneapolis this afternoon - it occurred to me I'd been on two-way roads in Ireland about the width of the lane I was in. The driving was the biggest piece of culture shock we endured. The worst was - missing an exit in Dublin on our way to return the rental car and driving a myriad of twisting turning back streets with cars parked on both sides and traffic going every which way like mad. Felt like I'd run into the stadium of a demolition derby - with my wife and daughter yelling, "left, left," constantly in my ears. I have been in 100+ mile an hour high speed chases with people shooting at me and it wasn't near as scary! Too bad we didn't get it on video. If I were watching it instead of living it - I'm sure it would be a hoot.

LOL! Wing, who deals with a lot of mentally ill people, says she has a whole new empathy for people with anxiety disorders - all courtesy of driving in Ireland!

Posted first bit about trip in the journal section.
    Last edited by pierre girard; 17th-March-2013 at 12:20 AM.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

This thread has given me the idea to try some peat in my little Fatsco Pet Stove!

I'd obviously thought of wood and charcoal, but never peat, thanks Pierre.