Thread: Man dies after canoeing incident

Default Canoeing Accident Sound Of Luing

A 23-year-old man has died and another is being treated for hypothermia after they got into difficulties while canoeing off the Argyll coast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6562381.stm
    Chris

Default Man dies after canoeing incident

A man has died and another is seriously ill after getting into difficulties while canoeing off the Argyll coast.

More...

Ther was a simialr incident in Strangford loch (Northern Ireland) where luckily the couple were rescued. Again Hyperthermia with about 20 mins.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ed=1#post38629

Philip

I couldn't agree more. I spent too much time in the water in Scotland a few weeks ago on one outing and started to become hypothermic and I was wearing thermals top to toe with cag and bottoms.

I dont like to comment on the news feeds, as the BBC never gives you that much detail. However the first rule in this sport has to be dont getyoureslf into situations you cant get out of. If you cant solo deep water rescue you shouldnt be in deep water. The T rescue was the first rescue technique i learned (when i was 10) its easy, its effective and it would have saved there lives. To try a sea crossing without that skill seems...well... I hope no one on this forum would do it.

My thoughts are with the family

The area is very local to me, so some additional info. Weather started good & then a cold wind picked up as the day went on - enough for an evening paddle in Loch Sween to seem less attractive.

Dorus Mor is a tide race just out of Loch Craignish, so under the right(wrong) tide/wind conditions it can get rough very quickly, though the surrounding water is easily manageable. Coming out of Craignish on a north-going tide, it's possible to land in the race more quickly than planned.

Rhod

It is a well known and notorius race. I have seen whirlpools there.
    Tragic, like any incident.

Nick