Thread: River Wye - Tidal stretch

Default River Wye - Tidal stretch

Hi, over recent years have done most of the Wye except the last bit. This year my mate and I are planning to canoe the 100 miles from Glasbury to Chepstow in 4 days. My only concern is the tidal stretch from Brockweir Bridge to Chepstow (not really done tidal water before) - Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to tackle this? I am getting a copy of the tide times but need to advice on the following:

- How long should it take to paddle this stretch on an ebbing tide?
    - Is there anything I should be aware of on this stretch of water and the best way of tackling it?
    - Where is the best place to exit at the end?

Would appreciate any help as would like to let the charity and the kids down.

Cheers

Hey

Firstly, I haven't actually done this, so info is second hand!

The problem is that if you come down with the tide, you reach Chepstow when there is nothing but acres of mud. There seen to be two approaches taken to solve this - either start by paddling against the last hour or two of the incoming tide, and then paddle fairly quickly down, thus arriving when there is less mud, or the other option is to carry on out onto the Severn and round to the old Ferry slipway beneath the old Severn Bridge. The latter is very much reliant on good weather and the ability to paddle for half a mile or so against the outgoing current up to the slipway.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Cheers Mal,

You're not making it sound too appealing I must say.
    I suppose the other option to to try and find the last decent get out point before Chepstow, does anyone out there have any ideas?

Chuckle. As I said, I haven't actually gone that far...yet! One day I will. Its certainly possible, just about timing or luck with the weather. I don't believe its too bad paddling against the last incoming tide on the Wye for the first bit down from Brockweir.

I've heard of folk getting out at Tintern, but not sure if this is a regularly acceptable get out point. Looks possible on aerial images.

Alternatively, get a grappling hook, a long line, and a strong arm and haul yourself and your canoe up the mud!

Found these blogs:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...light=chepstow - Martin lives in Chepstow and there are other blogs from him on here if you stick "Chepstow" into the search box.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...light=chepstow - used a Tintern get out.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Cheers, with regards to the last line I've got NONE of those - might have to start going to the gym instead of the pub, mmmmmh NAH sod it!!

Mal, forgot to say thanks for the links - very useful

Cheers

Tintern can involve sticky mud but also a steep climb up through vegetation. We (cambridge canoe club) end up sending down ropes and pulling boats up. I wouldn't want to get my canadian up there with less than 4 - 5 people helping.
    I wouldn't want to be at Tintern at the lowest tide so it's probably worse at Chepstow.
    Sam

Cheers for the info Sam, will check the tide times before we plan the trip maybe we will get out at the old wharf at Brockweir to avoid the tidal section. Do you know how far it is from their to Chepstow?

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire paddler View Post
    Cheers for the info Sam, will check the tide times before we plan the trip maybe we will get out at the old wharf at Brockweir to avoid the tidal section. Do you know how far it is from their to Chepstow?
    http://cdn.environment-agency.gov.uk...11bujd-e-e.pdf has all the river distances, maps etc.
    'Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are wet'

Emelia,

Cheers for the link it's just what I need, also may be able to use some of the info for the sponsorship forms

Ta

I have got out at Tintern. Not particularly easy but definitely doable

Ok Chepstow is also my patch.

The stretch from Tintern to Chepstow is fantastic and nobody goes there - all the stag parties stay well upstream occasionally making it down to Brockweir. What you need to understand is that the tide whistles out past Chepstow if you get there at the wrong time - right time and it is a doddle. Time your downstream trip to arrive at Chepstow no later than 1 1/2 hrs after HW as otherwise the exit is a bit hairy. So your window for paddling this stretch is 2hrs either side of HW for an approx 2hr paddle. But check out the tidal curve as it is non standard. In Chepstow itself, just after the iron town bridge is our boat club pontoon (river right). It isa private facility but you can exit there as a guest but do the decent thing and make a small contribution to our boat club behind the bar in The Boat. About 70m past the pontoon is a small steep muddy public slipway accessed through EA hydraulic flood gates or carry your boat up and over the steel steps that go over the flood defence wall. (If a club member is lurking in the Boat ask nicely and somebody might open the gates for you). Hopefully I will be able to get a digger in to clear the slip after Easter which will make access a bit easier for the season.

Failing that carry on down to the mouth of the estuary and round to Beachley slip.

more info at http://www.chepstowboatclub.co.uk/

Hi Deeps,

Thanks very much for the advice will take it all on board

Hi all,
    I am a new member and found this blog after doing some research on the lower section of the Wye. We paddled down from Monmouth to Tintern last week (Wednesday), it was fantastic Once past Redbrook we didn't see a soul other than fishermen and a few walkers. We now plan to paddle from Bigswier and exit at Beachley Slip. Clearly tides and weather would impact on this. so would be welcome any advice from anyone who has paddled this section. Would it be best to get the back end of the outgoing time to Chepstow hitting the slack water there between tides to get the start of the incoming tide to paddle the short distance to beachley?