Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alpacka Raft Classic

A large party of us once did the full traverse in opens however the portaging was pretty heavy going and the car shuttle even worse. Definitely better with packrafts. Let us know when you plan to do it although personally am pretty much booked up for the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll keep you all informed folks. I've emailed JC to see when he can make it and I'll update here as soon as I know more. Looks like there are three trains on Sundays, one at lunchtime one at about 1830 and one after eight. It's 6.30 and twenty minutes from Rannoch back to Bridge of Orchy.

Not for me, thanks. I like my comfort too much to get enthused by wilderness trips. But I hope you all enjoy it.

Mary
    Not in Oxford any more...

Quote Originally Posted by maryinoxford View Post
    Not for me, thanks. I like my comfort too much to get enthused by wilderness trips. But I hope you all enjoy it.

Mary
    Well we could all meet up for a day paddle somewhere as well Mary, wouldn't want you to feel left out. Loch Ken and maybe a bit of river too?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
    Well we could all meet up for a day paddle somewhere as well Mary, wouldn't want you to feel left out. Loch Ken and maybe a bit of river too?
    Thank you, yes, that's more about my level.

Mary

Okay packrafters, it looks like the weekend following easter is the favourite at the moment. If any of you fancy it let me know and I'll start another thread so we don't clog this one up anymore than we have already. Itinerary would be meet Saturday morning, sort cars/shuttle, paddle Loch Ba, camp somewhere (probably on Loch Laidon) Saturday night, paddle the remainder on Sunday and catch the train back to Bridge of Orchy on Sunday evening (probably the 1837 train), collect cars, say cheerio and go home, plan next trip.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

I do. Count me in please.

"Your everlasting summer, you can see it fading fast. So you grab a piece of something that you think is gonna last."

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
    PS, I'm hoping to do this trip in the next month or so with any luck. I could ask Fearghas as well (don't think he's a member of SOTP).
    I am here :-)

BTW Packrafting store recommend the new Crocs Off Road as a lightweight shoe, velcro adjustable heel straps and roughty tufty sole. Amazon resellers have them for a lot less than packrafting store. http://www.packrafting-store.de/Clot...Road::605.html

Probably not for this trip though :-)

f

Journal Entries

Good idea.

Not wearing my muckboots on the Rannoch trip, they wear my heels down to the bone.

"Your everlasting summer, you can see it fading fast. So you grab a piece of something that you think is gonna last."

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Good idea.

Not wearing my muckboots on the Rannoch trip, they wear my heels down to the bone.
    You're not supposed to wear them over your high heels, though I suppose you do have to protect the Packraft somehow...

Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I thought I'd post a few pictures of my Alpacka Explorer 42 to compare with Crow's raft. The thinking behind the Ex 42 is that it is a bit bigger and can seat two persons paddling canoe/single bladed style or be paddled solo with a kayak paddle. The trade off for the extra capacity is a reduction in solo white water ability due to the looser fit in the bigger boat. It's still supposed to be fine for grade 3 though and I can't see me ever going beyond that. Weight is similar to the smaller rafts with a spray deck (the weight of the extra fabric of the bigger boat is offset by not having the spraydeck, obviously this has ww implications as well). I wanted to be able to take a fellow paddler occasionally and also hoped to do some bike/raft packing trips so the extra size should be useful and I hope I'll still be able to enjoy a little easy ww action in it.
    This is the bag that it all comes in (I carelessly managed to nick it with the scissors when opening the parcel, doh!)

Inside is the raft, seats, inflation bag and a small repair kit.

The raft rolled out ready for inflation.

Blown up.

This is the front seat which is cleverly contained by a zipped pouch when not in use.

To use the front seat simply unzip the pouch and inflate the seat.

At the stern there are two seating options, this is the solo paddling seat (as used in the smaller rafts).

This is the Explorer seat which sits on top of the standard seat for tandem paddling (it's attached with a Fastex type buckle).

I'm hoping to get out for a short test paddle tomorrow with SWMBO.

Journal Entries

Crow Trip Log

Good title! And nice little action film...

You're still all daft though, you Packrafters. I look forward to becoming daft myself one day...
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Journal Entries

National Geographic Gear of the Year:

http://adventure.nationalgeographic....50_600x450.jpg

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Good title! And nice little action film...
    All I can see is a black rectangle...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maryinoxford View Post
    All I can see is a black rectangle...
    Oh. Works for me.

Try this, and scroll through the pictures...

http://adventure.nationalgeographic....g-summer-2015/

Crow Trip Log

For reference, the video doesn't work for me in IE (my usual browser) but runs okay in Firefox.

After many years of considering buying a hardshell or inflatable, ive finally bought an Alpacka Yukon Yak.

Think first trip will be a tour of the galloway lochs. Then maybe do the Rannoch moor crossing that was mentioned earlier in this thread. So many places to pick from..

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    After many years of considering buying a hardshell or inflatable, ive finally bought an Alpacka Yukon Yak.

Think first trip will be a tour of the galloway lochs. Then maybe do the Rannoch moor crossing that was mentioned earlier in this thread. So many places to pick from..

Yay!

Give me a shout (and the others) if you fancy company on the Rannoch trip.

Crow Trip Log

Journal Entries

Default Packtach system

I tried out the Packtach attachment system for attaching your pack to a Packraft on my recent Ossian Expedition

(http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...and-Back-Again).

More details here: http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk/p...cktach-system/

I usually use car roof type straps and compared to those this system doesn't look very strong. But it was surprisingly secure and easy to use, with an ingenious cleat system to tighten and lock the cords.

Worked really well, and in some tough conditions. I'm going to leave it on my packraft as a permanent fixture.

Recommended.

Crow Trip Log

Yay!

Give me a shout (and the others) if you fancy company on the Rannoch trip.

Thanks for the offer, unfortuantly im the solo (anti-social) type though, so i tend not to make plans involving others and go by myself.
    Hope that doesnt come across badly. Its not you, its me

I also use the packtach system with just an ordinary rucksack, seems to hold it well enough. Too many straps and loops to get caught on though. May need to get a drybag to put the whole rucksack in to keep it tidy and safe (and dry).

I do have one question...
    What sort of winds are packrafts useable in? Was going to head somewhere this weekend, but the forecast is a bit rough and and i dont have the experience to know as ive only used it once so far in fairly calm weather. SW 16-18mph forecast on the saturday.

I suppose theres probably no single answer to this as too many variables like lochs being sheltered etc.
    Last edited by Trig; 16th-July-2015 at 08:23 PM.

Journal Entries

I'd recommend a large drybag over a rucksack for obvious reasons, when strapping it on the front. But one with shoulder straps like a rucksack.

For shorter trips though I often use a smaller drybag and put it inside the boat - between my legs.

As for winds- couldn't give a quantitative answer to that. Depends on all sorts of things including how strong a paddler you are. All I can say is it can be hard work paddling into the wind. And packrafts will always be slower than canoes or kayaks on the flat. Try it and see would be my advice, that way you'll get a feel for what you can do.

Crow Trip Log

Journal Entries

Useful display and info. on the Alpacka range of packrafts.

Crow Trip Log

Anyone know how one gets permissions to make a new thread under reviews? I was gonna review my boat, but the 'start new thread' button is not active for me (A fairly new SoP user).

Nigel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12