Thread: Hobo fishing set up on eBay

Default Hobo fishing set up on eBay

Hi

Hi I got a hobo fishing kit from eBay for not a lot of cash and have used it a fair bit. Thought that others may like to know about it.

The guy has 2 levels of hand line reel which come with a spinner and line. They are pretty good size fitting easily in a pocket. I had no problems at all with the transaction and the guy gets back to any query.

The eBay items are listed here and the seller is jpk147.

I'm happy to recommend him and these.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Nice find. If anyone wants one and can't spare the cash, just let me know when we'll meet again and I'll bring one along. I gave one away at the NaturalBushcraft Winter meet. They are fun to make, but you'll have to get the line and tackle yourself; I don't sell mine so it's just the woodturning I'm offering to do.

Some photos if anyone's interested...

The cap not quite screwed in all the way on this Yew handline

The cap not screwed in and still without completed cap on this Oak handline

If you have a special request I'll see what I can do. I make no promises whatsoever and I expect nothing but a "thank you" in return.

Nice work fella,

I didn't realize you we're doing this stuff (my fault) or I'd have asked but then I am happy enough with what I got too.

I'd love to have a go at something like this but would just end up with a big pile of wood shavings and me in hospital emergency .... knowing me
    MarkL

From what I recall it is almost certainly illegal to use this set up in freshwater or to fish for freshwater fish inc. trout and salmon and eels, at least as far as England and Wales go. The law only allows for rod and line fishing. Perhaps you could go to court and argue that the wooden handle constitutes a rod but I wouldn't fancy your chances!

Don't want to spoil anyones fun but just thought you should be aware.
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randall View Post
    From what I recall it is almost certainly illegal to use this set up in freshwater or to fish for freshwater fish inc. trout and salmon and eels, at least as far as England and Wales go. The law only allows for rod and line fishing. Perhaps you could go to court and argue that the wooden handle constitutes a rod but I wouldn't fancy your chances!

Don't want to spoil anyones fun but just thought you should be aware.
    Survival tool only then

Fine on the coast/sea .... supa-dupa crab/mackerel lines
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

From what I recall it is almost certainly illegal to use this set
    No Comment, your honor .... other than things that should not be said.

From what I have experienced .... when I lived in the uk .... the item was treated as a rod mostly and when challenged, i stated it was not a "fishing engine nor was it unattended, nor did it have multiple hooks" and was in no way concealed while using it. I didn't meet many people but when I did, this was taken as ok ... provided it was not a major area people pay for and I had licenses.

By the way, I'm not in the uk so ... who cares ? Nobody where I live sees it as different as long as I don't bait 50 hooks on it and have paid my license.

I hate the absurdity that says I would need to carry boxes of kit, chairs, alarms and10+ rods and reels to catch my tea because the "life police" say that I need all that stuff to catch the fish I'm eating. Explain why ?
    Last edited by MarkL; 23rd-January-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    MarkL

Lovely work, but how do you do the thread? Real steady hand with a skew chissel? or special tool?

Joe
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Quote Originally Posted by joe.ford View Post
    Lovely work, but how do you do the thread? Real steady hand with a skew chissel? or special tool?

Joe
    It's a special tool. There are thread chaseres for fine threads, but for these heavier threads, I use a thread cutter. I've been meaning to make a video for a while now. Maybe I will this weekend, but I'm full of cold already and I'll probably forget. Ho hum.

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen those before. Lovely work Bernie, the threaded cap is a nice touch. How do you create the void for the tackle? One of those is definitely on the kit list for the next Scottish trip (sea loch obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by elveys View Post
    Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen those before. Lovely work Bernie, the threaded cap is a nice touch. How do you create the void for the tackle? One of those is definitely on the kit list for the next Scottish trip (sea loch obviously).

Don't go catching Mackerel now

Why not mackerel?

Quote Originally Posted by Juno2 View Post
    Why not mackerel?
    Follow the link, its allegedly being overfished - appears to be more of a quota thing though..

The ebay add said for trout and salmon.

Relying upon discretion is fine until the brown stuff hits the fan. I have turned a blind eye to a number of things in my time but if my approach was treated with aggression or outright stropiness I was definitely more inclined to write a ticket and let someone else sort out the right and wrong.

If you have a problem with rules and regs protecting wildlife that's fine. Right your MP. Picking and choosing as to what rules apply is a slippery slope. Many folk here seem to think its fine to kill moose without a permit and now the numbers are dropping. Whilst it's not all due to over hunting it looks like on top of the other problems they have illegal hunting by locals is not helping their cause.

My tackle for fishing on trips- Take apart Ugli Stik 2ft long when packed, small fixed spool reel and a dinky box of a dozen lures. Oh and a licence!
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

For those of you (us... ) without the necessary DIY skills, this is what I carry on trips so I don't go hungry. It's a Daiwa Minicast kit - the rod assembles to 6', and the reel, although pretty light, is more than adequate for pan-fish - 2 or 3 lb. bass, pike, perch, lake trout, whatever.

It has a mini tackle-box area in the lid - more than enough space for anything I take with me:

Closed up, it measures 14" x 7" x 2" and weighs less than 1 lb.

For me, it's been a perfect solution to bringing my fishing gear on extended trips.

That is a neat solution sk8r and sub a pound is light with it.
    I particularly like how all the bits n bobs are in one place and secure.
    "Every action of our lives touches on
    some chord that will vibrate in eternity"

Edwin Hubbel Chapin

That looks like a great compact fishing rod and reel. I wonder if we can get something like that over her in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    That looks like a great compact fishing rod and reel. I wonder if we can get something like that over her in the UK.
    Yes, you can - tiny rods have recently become fashionable.
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    You see a lot of these on ebay
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I finally did the editing of the video clips from Sunday on how to cut threads in wood with the device I use. So here it is Joe:

Excellent I thought at first you were doing it with these type thread cutters
    You have got me thinking tho................................

I wonder if the tap and die (metalworking) set we have will work on wood

Impressed with your lathe, bit bigger than my new toy. But why do you have it tied down with green gardening wire?
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Quote Originally Posted by joe.ford View Post
    Impressed with your lathe, bit bigger than my new toy. But why do you have it tied down with green gardening wire?
    You made me laugh! Weighing in at around 325kg (716.5 lbs) I really don't need to tie it down.

On the end of that garden wire is a cut off nail that fits perfectly in the index holes in my chuck. If I keep it under tension, I can make marks at regular intervals around the piece I've turned. This can be useful for so many things.

It is a wonderful lathe. I was fortunate enough to pick it up used (and abused) at the end of an Axminster Show for £800. Whilst that is a lot of money, it's a fraction of what they cost new now... £2,469.50 Inc VAT!

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Oh Bernie.. I wish I'd got into 'word-working' instead of the blooming metal stuff.. Anyone need a turbine blade?? Saying that they make good Mackerel lures...

Talking of which...

Just another idea for a handline.. This one is from Lidl.. About £6ish. Including weight and lures. They do crop up online and in other shops.
    Sadly mackerel are in decline its not just a quota thing.. Ive seen the stocks, size and habits of the this vital marine species change over the last 30 years.
    A modern state of the art seine netter can hawl hundreds of tons in one go!!

Saying that I'll still fish for them.. But only enough for lunch.

Someone (who shall remain nameless) asked me for one, so I thought I'd do a little (haha) video of me making one. Turns out they take longer to make than I remembered. The video, edited and with portions speeded up, is 57 minutes long!

But you know what; that time was going to pass either way. I at least had fun making it, and someone might enjoy the video.

Great vid Bernie, shows how much work goes into making one. Love the end product.
    Thanks for sharing.

I've great admiration for anyone with that kind of skill!
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Ditto that Mayobren post 26.. Much more rewarding to craft your fishing tool instead of going to bloomin Lidl for one! Nice one Bernhard.

I like your lathe, much more organic than ones I am used to.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhkv-YjNdbw
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 3rd-February-2013 at 11:35 AM.

That's truly fantastic to watch, it takes me back to my school days turning bowls and whatnot. I built a pole lathe about 9 years ago, which lives in the garden and does duty as one of two trestles for my boat the majority of the time.

I'd never really thought of making these fishing reels but apart from the screw thread,which I'd find impossible to do,I think they'd make quite an interesting project on the pole lathe.

very interesting indeed

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

That CNC lathe is mesmerizing.

Thanks for the kind words guys, it's so nice to feel the hours I put into the handline and more so the video (which isn't much fun editing) are appreciated.

I'm always keen to share knowledge, so if you think there's something I know (unlikely!) that you'd like me to demo, then just say and I'll see when I can get around to it.

OMG I received this today, this is he who shall remain nameless But I felt I had to speak up.

I’ll be honest I thought I would get a piece of wood rounded with a cork stopper lol
    But this thing is a thing of beauty, beautifully hand crafted totally out with my skills I’m almost afraid to use it it’s that nice. Not only that, bhofmann also made 2 smaller ones for my kids to use. I feel very proud to have received this hobo fishing thingy. I’ll definitely take some pictures when I use it for the first time hopefully on some stretch of water

I’m a total newbie when it comes to fishing so I might need advice on what to put into it.
    A big thanks to bhofmann for making it and an even bigger thanks, as I saw the video tonight also. Im much awed

Default hobo. fishing

Could yo make me 1 of your hobo fishing. mate and how much would it be inc post thanks mike

Default hobo. fishing mate

Could you make me 1 of your hobo fishing. mate mate and how much would it be inc post thanks mike

To bhoffman---I'm so impressed with this. Is there anyway of talking you into making another one for sale. I have been searching the internet for one just like this for my backpacking trips and this is the best I've seen. Please!!!!

Thanks witty. I don't want to sell them. There's something about it being a gift that makes me feel good and I think putting a price on it would detract from the enjoyment I get when making them.

I'm still not 100%, fighting off the remains of a chest cough and I'm waiting to hear if I can bring my wife home from hospital. So I'm not spending time outside. Wish I could go canoeing; it's been too long.

Of you send me your address in a PM (private message) and promise to send me something you make, I'll put you on my waiting list.

The Bernie Hobo gets a BIG thumbs up from me

Bartering Bernie! A sound ethic.. I know a countryman who gets quite offended at the mention of money.. I fancied an army bivvy bag he had to spare.. "What ya got ta trade boy"

ps I didn't get the bivvy bag ..I think he let the ferrets sleep in it..

Old thread I know but are you still turning these, just what I'm after

Quote Originally Posted by Tonquin View Post
    Old thread I know but are you still turning these, just what I'm after
    Hi Tonquin

Where are you based? You've not posted in the introductions section yet.

Where are you based? You've not posted in the section yet.

Thanks for responding I am based nr Stroud Gloucestershire, hope this posts not good with technology!

Currently Quebec Province, Canada. Oftimes N. Somerset, UK

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
    For those of you (us... ) without the necessary DIY skills, this is what I carry on trips so I don't go hungry. It's a Daiwa Minicast kit - the rod assembles to 6', and the reel, although pretty light, is more than adequate for pan-fish - 2 or 3 lb. bass, pike, perch, lake trout, whatever.

It has a mini tackle-box area in the lid - more than enough space for anything I take with me:

Closed up, it measures 14" x 7" x 2" and weighs less than 1 lb.

For me, it's been a perfect solution to bringing my fishing gear on extended trips.
    Thanks for the recommendation, this has proved to be a great piece of kit!
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'

My Dad, would love one of those, where can I get one!

Dunno about the UK, but over 'ere they're on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.ca/Daiwa-System-M.../dp/B0000BY56T

Quote Originally Posted by zach2020 View Post
    My Dad, would love one of those, where can I get one!
    Did you mean the hobo handline or the mini fishing rod?