Thread: Ribble Canoe trail?

Default Ribble Canoe trail?

I've been paddling for about 6 years now on and off, mainly on the Lancaster canal just north of Preston; yet I live within half a mile of the River Ribble and I have never used it. Ideally I would get in several miles upstream and get out somewhere near home. Unfortunately I have never really been motivated to find access points to plan a route, happy with using the canal. This all changed when I started building my canoe and wanting to use it on rivers, I began reading about river access in general, to say I was disappointed was an understatement.

Now as spring begins to beckon I put questionable legal arguments aside and began searching for access points along the banks of the Ribble, further downstream than those listed on paddle points. In addition to the physical search of the riverbank, I decided to give google a try to aid my search. I wasn't expecting much probably some reasons from angerlers why canoes are bad and why access is even worse. Well I did find that yes, plus a few access points which no longer exist due to change of land ownership.

However I did discover this gem of a report, which I think provides a morsel of hope, not only for the access of the Ribble, but if successful and is actually implemented may serve as a template for other rivers.

http://ce.sportfocus.com/region04/as...%20Project.pdf

Yes the outlook remains bleak, but several large projects around Preston such as, the Guild Wheel cycle path and the Brockholes nature reserve have opened up access to outdoor activities in the last few years. Maybe the Ribble Canoe trail could the next?

In the late 70s I made much use of the Ribble for my own recreational paddling, and for instruction with Wigan Canoe Club, and Warrington Scouts. Generally, without any trouble from Landowners or Fishermen

Impcanoe

Thanks for posting the report Moth, sounds like things are heading in the right direction. It's interesting to see how attitudes towards access have changed from the earlier letters.... 'please sir can we paddle on your river' style, to the more positive 'try and stop us' we have today. It's a shame though that there is still a recurring theme of paddlers not using a section of river due to hassle from landowners/anglers. (not just here but on all rivers) If we let this happen they are getting what they want. Aggressive and threatening behavior towards paddlers should be reported to the authorities, just as it would be if it happened in the street. As it happens I (many years ago) used to fly fish for salmon on the Ribble. I would now much prefer to paddle it. It's a beautiful river with plenty of room for everyone.
    Paul.
    Just goin with the flow

Interesting, and got me googling as I always fancied this river for no other reason than I spent a year going to Accrington and Clitheroe regularly.

English Canoe Classics - North of England has a trip on the Ribble. http://www.pesdapress.com/p51/Englis...duct_info.html

There's very little on Paddle Points yet. Canoe Days out has this: http://www.canoedaysout.com/trip/930

UKRGB has a couple of mentions: http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/r...to-ribchester; http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/r...orne-to-sawley. Both describe incidents, and the access points may be out of date.

If you do get any hassle, please report any incidents on the River Access map: http://access.canoedaysout.com/map/showonly/160. Note the note with access view similar to the CE report.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I went on a recky paddle last Saturday from Ribchester to London road in Preston. I've never paddled the Ribble before but I'm wanting a change from burrs.

The water level was deep enough so you didnt get stuck but low enough that you didn't get into a nasty situation.

There was three of us in the group with 2 canoes and 1 kayak. The main concern that i had and what has put me off from paddling it before now is 'River Access' and can we can't we paddle...

We must have passed around 50 fishermen, we passed quietly and on the opposite side of the river. The majority ignored us or gave an aggressive stair. A handful said hello
    and were very polite. We did encounter 1 that chose to shout abuse, and was sure he owned the land and the boundary was the middle of the river and we were trespassing. We never raised our voice in return but that didn't stop the abuse.

Has anyone ever seen the official land boundaries to actually see if it goes to the centre of the river? My view is that if the boundaries go to the edge of the river then its not trespassing, if it does go to the centre of the river then they can't complain about you trespassing if you are on the other half of the river. What's the chances of the land owners from both sides being there at once.

This one fisherman hasn't put me off what is a long and fantastic paddle but I wouldn't want to take youngsters on the river as it would be an upsetting experiance.
    Last edited by bund; 16th-January-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bund View Post
    I went on a recky paddle last Saturday from Ribchester to London road in Preston. I've never paddled the Ribble before but I'm wanting a change from burrs.

The water level was deep enough so you didnt get stuck but low enough that you didn't get into a nasty situation.

There was three of us in the group with 2 canoes and 1 kayak. The main concern that i had and what has put me off from paddling it before now is 'River Access' and can we can't we paddle...

We must have passed around 50 fishermen, we passed quietly and on the opposite side of the river. The majority ignored us or gave an aggressive stair. A handful said hello
    and were very polite. We did encounter 1 that chose to shout abuse, and was sure he owned the land and the boundary was the middle of the river and we were trespassing. We never raised our voice in return but that didn't stop the abuse.

Has anyone ever seen the official land boundaries to actually see if it goes to the centre of the river? My view is that if the boundaries go to the edge of the river then its not trespassing, if it does go to the centre of the river then they can't complain about you trespassing if you are on the other half of the river. What's the chances of the land owners from both sides being there at once.

This one fisherman hasn't put me off what is a long and fantastic paddle but I wouldn't want to take youngsters on the river as it would be an upsetting experiance.

The paddler's view tends to be that the landowners only own the river bed, and not the water you are floating on, and probably more importantly that we & other river users have a historic right to paddle the British waterways anyway, which has never been removed. Info here: http://www.riveraccessforall.co.uk/w...he_problem.php
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Mals' view, reported above, holds particularly true for the Ribble, which has been navigated since roman times.

Impcanoe

It's summarised on the Access Map
    Keith

Lightbulb P,f,l,o,p

Quote Originally Posted by bund View Post

Hi Bund, I am sorry you had a nice day compromised by the actions of one unpleasant man,sounds like you handled the situation very calmly.

I worked for years at a day centre for 'street homeless'people,providing food,clothing,health care,housing advise, etc,
    and on average we would see 100 people a day, 80% oblivious to us, 19% would be happy and grateful for any help they received. But one [not always the same person!] would be abusive and aggressive,and that was the one you took home in your head.

As more of us take to the water,either in our own or hired canoes,the response of a minority, who like Cnut are trying
    to turn back the tide, for their own selfish ends, is to use aggression,rather than reason.

When venturing into 'bandit country',I have strategies thought out befor hand, if possible,take a camera,film their antics. As soon as you hear them swearing, ask, with as much authority as you can, "Who Are You Swearing At",
    this in my experience throws them into choosing their words with more care, mean time,just keep paddling.

Tell them, they do not own the water, even if they own both banks,and the river bed,they know this !

The presents of children can have a calming effect on these rare incidents,if the foul language persists,draw attention
    to the youngsters, this should shame them, keep paddling.

Finally, they are very unlikely to take to the water to carry on this discourse, but I have on two occasions met fishermen
    mid stream, in waders, intent on stopping my progress, which was interesting. In that situation, try to keep calm,and
    a grip on your paddle, the currant should carry away down stream, they really just want to say some thing,and then
    get on with fishing !

Most people are fine, but always expect the unexpected, and if you think you will meet aggression,do not go solo.

This is a river i have always wanted to paddle as its not far from me, but stories I have heard regarding abusive fishermen has put me off.
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

stories I have heard regarding abusive fishermen has put me off
    Which is exactly what the abusive fishermen intend. I understand exactly how you feel, they put me off as well, but we should really go and paddle to show them that their tactics don't work.

When we going then

Good question. Watch this space!

Ditto.

How about Sat November 24th????? I am looking for a paddle that day, the Ribble would be my first choice. I could make a 10.30 meet. As with so may things, I seem to have forgotten the details of where we started and finished.

Peter Impcanoe

Ill check with work but if I'm on a late count me in. I will find out tomorrow

Jimmyads....AND ?????????

Impcanoe

sorry not been on as dads in hospital, up to now work are not playing ball

Sorry on both counts. I'm going to paddle somewhere on Sat. the Ribble if you are available, nostalgic Leeds Liverpool at Appley Bridge if you are not. And if you are not, we will make a date in the spring to run it., with or without the secretive guys above.

As with so may things, I seem to have forgotten the details of where we started and finished.
    It's usual to start at Eddisford Bridge, Clitheroe, down to Ribchester. So far as I know, the take-out at the De Tabley Arms is no longer available, so take out at Ribchester itself (park in the public car park a short walk away). Just remember there's a weir about 3km from the start! See https://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/...-to-ribchester

I'm not sure there will be a worthwhile amount of water on Saturday. See https://flood-warning-information.se.../station/5099?

And if you are not, we will make a date in the spring to run it., with or without the secretive guys above.
    Is that me? Not being secretive, but already have other plans this weekend, and (not having your distance to travel) was going to wait until there's some water. Do let us know when you go!

Chris B yes you but tongue in cheek. Doesn't look as though I'll be on the Ribble on Sat, but it does look as though there may be water. In the past I have found myself somewhere new for other reasons, and I have appealed for companions on a local river. I've had considerable success, although the "best" was probably the Upper Tay when a distinguished group of paddlers rocked up and we had a great paddle on the Sat. However, I've just failed (admittedly for a Friday) before the Tyne Tour, and it looks as though I'm failing this Saturday too. On the whole, since I abandoned OC1 and grade 3/4, its the shuttle that is the problem. On grade 1/2 I feel reasonably confident soloing. On Fran's epic canal trip through exciting places like the London Zoo, I shuttled by my old age pensioners bus pass, which although free, took 5 buses to accomplish. I've shuttled Carrog to MEM on the Dee by bus, but at full fare as I don't have a welsh bus pass.

Unless someone post here on or before Friday I won't be on the Ribble on Saturday.