Thread: prospectors

Default prospectors

here is some pictures of some of the 8 prospectors i have built,and at long last finally built one for me.

Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-April-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Excellent!

Q

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
    Excellent!

Q
    why, thanks for that young man.lol barry

Gorgeous! Wish I were so gifted.

Default try it

Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    Gorgeous! Wish I were so gifted.
    you will not know untill you try,try,try again.(must be all these scotsman,i have had a robert the bruce attack).lol barry

Journal Entries

Great looking canoes. I've made the pictures visible & will be moving this thread to the Self Build section

Default apology

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Great looking canoes. I've made the pictures visible & will be moving this thread to the Self Build section
    i think i must have taken the instructions for submitting pictures too literally?
    Last edited by woodman; 12th-April-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Default Prospector

Woodman
    Did you sell one over ebay to Mary who drove down from Norwich in a silver Mondeo?

If you did, we have had many many hours of pleasure in it... paddling, that is...

Doug

Default mary

hi doug was mary an australian or a new zealander?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    Woodman
    Did you sell one over ebay to Mary who drove down from Norwich in a silver Mondeo?

If you did, we have had many many hours of pleasure in it... paddling, that is...

Doug
    i trust you rubbed her down and gave her three coats of yacht varnish when you laid her up for the winter ready for more pleasure this summer.(the canoe that is)

Woodman, please can you talk me through your papinting process, have you had any problems with paint?

Default New Zealander

Woodman
    Mary is a New Zealander.

We've taken the canoe all over the Norfolk Broads and Rivers... it was a lucky day for us when we bought our prospector from you... you've probably seen pictures of the canoe here, with the sails we fitted... we've used the canoe all through the winter...

Thanks for your craftsmanship

What varnish do you recommend?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    Woodman
    Mary is a New Zealander.

We've taken the canoe all over the Norfolk Broads and Rivers... it was a lucky day for us when we bought our prospector from you... you've probably seen pictures of the canoe here, with the sails we fitted... we've used the canoe all through the winter...

Thanks for your craftsmanship

What varnish do you recommend?

Doug
    international yacht varnish,ronseal yacht varnish.either will do.have you seen previous quote

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    Woodman, please can you talk me through your papinting process, have you had any problems with paint?
    whats the problem dano,(or should that be book him)no problem with paint,i did 3 primer coats,5 undercoats,3topcoats gloss,matt,what ever your choice,all exterior grade,and most important, rubbed down after every coat to give next coat a key,then 3 coats yacht varnish 3 weeks later when paint fully dry,when i stain and varnish,5 coats of coloured varnish,3 topcoats international yacht varnish,again rubbed down between every coat to provide key for next coat.hope this helps dano.lol barry
    Last edited by woodman; 12th-April-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    whats the problem dano,(or should that be book him)no problem with paint,i did 3 primer coats,5 undercoats,3topcoats gloss,matt,what ever your choice,all exterior grade,and most important, rubbed down after every coat to give next coat a key,then 3 coats yacht varnish 3 weeks later when paint fully dry,when i stain and varnish,5 coats of coloured varnish,3 topcoats international yacht varnish,again rubbed down between every coat to provide key for next coat.hope this helps dano.lol barry
    well i have has some peeling problems (not really "some" problems, major problems would be the truth) but i have nowhere near as many coats or prep as you so that is probably my problem, and i have not used varnish on top of the paint, i was not impressed with its durability on the gunwales where the paddle rubs so was not going to use it again, i guess i will have to rethink my paininting this summer

Default paint and varnish

what paint and varnish were you using,how many coats

couple of coats of oil based undercoat and few coats of weathershield exterior gloss

Default primer

basically dano thats just not enough paintand you should prime with quality primer first

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    basically dano thats just not enough paintand you should prime with quality primer first
    yep your right, I think I will get rid of it later this year and build myself a stripper so I dont have to worry about paint

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    yep your right, I think I will get rid of it later this year and build myself a stripper so I dont have to worry about paint
    thats a nice idea

Default Paintin'

My build is a little way off painting. But have been looking into it a bit.

I was thinking of using International's Interprotect primer/base coat and then their Brightside Gloss paint for the hull. Then a clear yacht varnish inside.

Has anyone used these products? Are they any good?

http://pegosaurus.blogspot.com/

You've made some lovely boats, woodman.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt25 View Post
    You've made some lovely boats, woodman.

Matt
    thanks for that matt.(have i become a poet?) lol barry

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    My build is a little way off painting. But have been looking into it a bit.

I was thinking of using International's Interprotect primer/base coat and then their Brightside Gloss paint for the hull. Then a clear yacht varnish inside.

Has anyone used these products? Are they any good?

http://pegosaurus.blogspot.com/
    both the paints are very good (used them on a narrowboat i refurbed),the varnish is excellant.lol barry

Georgeous canoes .
    Harry
    Guy Fawkes
    The only man to enter parliament with honest intentions

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Georgeous canoes .
    Harry
    thanks harry