Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: prospectors

  1. #1

    Default prospectors

    here is some pictures of some of the 8 prospectors i have built,and at long last finally built one for me.











    Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-April-2007 at 03:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hebrides
    Posts
    3,243

    Default

    Excellent!

    Q

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
    Excellent!

    Q
    why, thanks for that young man.lol barry

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Gorgeous! Wish I were so gifted.

  5. #5

    Default try it

    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    Gorgeous! Wish I were so gifted.
    you will not know untill you try,try,try again.(must be all these scotsman,i have had a robert the bruce attack).lol barry

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lochwinnoch, Scotland
    Posts
    17,003
    Journal Entries
    2

    Default

    Great looking canoes. I've made the pictures visible & will be moving this thread to the Self Build section

  7. #7

    Default apology

    Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Great looking canoes. I've made the pictures visible & will be moving this thread to the Self Build section
    i think i must have taken the instructions for submitting pictures too literally?
    Last edited by woodman; 12th-April-2007 at 05:12 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Prospector

    Woodman
    Did you sell one over ebay to Mary who drove down from Norwich in a silver Mondeo?

    If you did, we have had many many hours of pleasure in it... paddling, that is...


    Doug

  9. #9

    Default mary

    hi doug was mary an australian or a new zealander?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    Woodman
    Did you sell one over ebay to Mary who drove down from Norwich in a silver Mondeo?

    If you did, we have had many many hours of pleasure in it... paddling, that is...


    Doug
    i trust you rubbed her down and gave her three coats of yacht varnish when you laid her up for the winter ready for more pleasure this summer.(the canoe that is)

  11. #11

    Default

    Woodman, please can you talk me through your papinting process, have you had any problems with paint?

  12. #12

    Default New Zealander

    Woodman
    Mary is a New Zealander.

    We've taken the canoe all over the Norfolk Broads and Rivers... it was a lucky day for us when we bought our prospector from you... you've probably seen pictures of the canoe here, with the sails we fitted... we've used the canoe all through the winter...

    Thanks for your craftsmanship

    What varnish do you recommend?


    Doug

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    Woodman
    Mary is a New Zealander.

    We've taken the canoe all over the Norfolk Broads and Rivers... it was a lucky day for us when we bought our prospector from you... you've probably seen pictures of the canoe here, with the sails we fitted... we've used the canoe all through the winter...

    Thanks for your craftsmanship

    What varnish do you recommend?


    Doug
    international yacht varnish,ronseal yacht varnish.either will do.have you seen previous quote

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    Woodman, please can you talk me through your papinting process, have you had any problems with paint?
    whats the problem dano,(or should that be book him)no problem with paint,i did 3 primer coats,5 undercoats,3topcoats gloss,matt,what ever your choice,all exterior grade,and most important, rubbed down after every coat to give next coat a key,then 3 coats yacht varnish 3 weeks later when paint fully dry,when i stain and varnish,5 coats of coloured varnish,3 topcoats international yacht varnish,again rubbed down between every coat to provide key for next coat.hope this helps dano.lol barry
    Last edited by woodman; 12th-April-2007 at 07:57 PM.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    whats the problem dano,(or should that be book him)no problem with paint,i did 3 primer coats,5 undercoats,3topcoats gloss,matt,what ever your choice,all exterior grade,and most important, rubbed down after every coat to give next coat a key,then 3 coats yacht varnish 3 weeks later when paint fully dry,when i stain and varnish,5 coats of coloured varnish,3 topcoats international yacht varnish,again rubbed down between every coat to provide key for next coat.hope this helps dano.lol barry
    well i have has some peeling problems (not really "some" problems, major problems would be the truth) but i have nowhere near as many coats or prep as you so that is probably my problem, and i have not used varnish on top of the paint, i was not impressed with its durability on the gunwales where the paddle rubs so was not going to use it again, i guess i will have to rethink my paininting this summer

  16. #16

    Default paint and varnish

    what paint and varnish were you using,how many coats

  17. #17

    Default

    couple of coats of oil based undercoat and few coats of weathershield exterior gloss

  18. #18

    Default primer

    basically dano thats just not enough paintand you should prime with quality primer first

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    basically dano thats just not enough paintand you should prime with quality primer first
    yep your right, I think I will get rid of it later this year and build myself a stripper so I dont have to worry about paint

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    yep your right, I think I will get rid of it later this year and build myself a stripper so I dont have to worry about paint
    thats a nice idea

  21. #21

    Default Paintin'

    My build is a little way off painting. But have been looking into it a bit.

    I was thinking of using International's Interprotect primer/base coat and then their Brightside Gloss paint for the hull. Then a clear yacht varnish inside.

    Has anyone used these products? Are they any good?

    http://pegosaurus.blogspot.com/

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    273

    Default

    You've made some lovely boats, woodman.



    Matt

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt25 View Post
    You've made some lovely boats, woodman.



    Matt
    thanks for that matt.(have i become a poet?) lol barry

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    My build is a little way off painting. But have been looking into it a bit.

    I was thinking of using International's Interprotect primer/base coat and then their Brightside Gloss paint for the hull. Then a clear yacht varnish inside.

    Has anyone used these products? Are they any good?

    http://pegosaurus.blogspot.com/
    both the paints are very good (used them on a narrowboat i refurbed),the varnish is excellant.lol barry

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Johnstone
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Georgeous canoes .
    Harry
    Guy Fawkes
    The only man to enter parliament with honest intentions

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Georgeous canoes .
    Harry
    thanks harry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •