Thread: Varieties of Fun 04 - 13 sq.m. of sail on a 17' open with hydrofoils!

Default Varieties of Fun 04 - 13 sq.m. of sail on a 17' open with hydrofoils!

Continuing the theme of "weird and wonderful ways of harnessing the wind"... here's an open canoe with a difference!

That's a 17' Mad River Revelation... carrying 13 Meters of sail!

For discussion see discussion on the OCSG Facebook Page... where you'll find detail like this....

Slue's 7.2 meter used windsurfer sail arrived today; ...I picked it up on Ebay for $25 + $18 shipping. I also picked up a 490 cm 75% carbon mast to match for $75 from a local club member. BTW, each of my outrigger/AMAs (made from 1/2 of an 1984 Mistral sailboard) will support my entire body weight, and are perfectly suited to riding up over even the 3' wakes of large power cruisers. Retasking old windsurfing gear for canoe sailing is an incredibly cost effective and verisimilitude-satisfying way to go.
    For more photos, see the creator's Facebook Album

The hydrofoil part is quite fascinating. See here.

...and some video footage:

Hyrdrofoil technology isn't something I've ever had the chance to use... though I did once see it in action in the Stour estuary: most impressive.

The Amateur Yacht Research Society appears to be a mine of wonderful information on any such matter. Here's a back issue of their magazine, Catalyst. Looks like a few other issues also discuss hydrofoils... though I suspect not on a 17' open canoe!

The last 30sec of the vid are the most interesting where it appears to be up on the foil, would like to see it in action from outside the craft.

If you have any interest in foils, then James Grogono's "Icarus the boat that flies" is the must read.

That is a VERY unorthodox setup.

See also youtube for "foiler moth"

Beware!!! there may be some significance in the date of the facebook video posting

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Greg, I assume,

I am a newbie on the forum so I couldn't send a PM.
    How are you rigging the windsurfing mast and sail?
    I see the back stay and the forestay but are they going to the actual windsurfing mast?
    Do you have side stays?

I am local to you - in Ft. Worth.

That is a really great outrageous tri/ try.

Did you ever sail it without the hydrofoil?
    An easier way would be to use a "Bruce Foil" as shown in the AYRS publications. Design for Fast sailing shows the complete description.

I would be interested to talk to you.

Marc

Marc - it's not actually Greg whose canoe that is; Greg drew our attention to it, as he is so good at spotting interesting stuff for us.

Some canoe-sailors have tried Bruce foils but with limited success - rather unpredictable at resisting both sideways and stability forces in practice, especially in rougher conditions.

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

A couple of axles and he can chuck the C tug away. Seriously though anything to do with airfoils or hydrofoils fascinates me! Great stuff!