Thread: Improvised fittings for sailing my prospector

Default Improvised fittings for sailing my prospector

I have always sailed my wooden DD10 canoe and I wanted to use the same rig in my prospector, without making any alterations to the boat. The sail is not huge or high powered, cannot be reefed,but is great for touring and recreational sailing. I need it to work but both solo and two-up, and to attach to either seat. For solo sailing I travel with the boat reversed, using the normal bow seat to kneel against, lean against or sit on. two-up, the helm uses the normal rear seat, and the crew operates the mainsheet sitting in the floor of the boat in front of the kneeling thwart . (There is no centre thwart to get in the way. I strap on a temporary yoke for carrying the boat solo.)

This is the mast attachment. It clamps to any seat and does not need a mast foot.

The third tape is the attachment for the flop-over leeboard and for a pulley for the mainsheet. For stronger winds I also strap a notched thwart above the gunwhale to line up with the hole for the mast.

Another strap holds the mast to that thwart, and for even more stregth two more straps can hold the thwart down to the back of the seat.

The leeboard attached with an easily adjustable sheetbend.

This is the leeboard, double thickness for strength after one thickness would do it.

The front of the boom/ foot of the yard attaches with a strap loosely round the mast.

Ready to sail.

Sailing two-up

The pale blue rope is the loose end of the clew outhaul, in a jammer further along the boom.

Sailing on river Quoile yeterday

http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/...t=107_0470.mp4

Happy sailing to all!

Thanks for sharing that Andy. Simple set up but obviously quite effective.

About the leeboard, I meant to write one thickness would NOT do it. The second layer of plywood was added when it was clear that the single sheet was going to break under the strains generated where the board is in contact with the hull.