Thread: Canoe sailing kit

Default Canoe sailing kit

Hi all anyone know where i can get a cheap sailing kit and poles from? I am doing the great glen canoe trail next year on a shoe string budget, any ideas would be greatly recieved

thanks in advance

Paul

Paul

Earlier this year I bought a "Simple Sail" from the Stockport branch of Brookbank Canoess for 19.99:

http://www.canoesandkayaks.co.uk/index.html

on checking I see they now have it for 17.99.

It is a square of blue ripstop nylon approx 5ft x 5ft with two reinforced pockets on the upper corners to take a pole or the end of a spare paddle shaft. The lower corners have D rings sewn on which could be used attach the sail to a thwart or yoke.

We had intended to try it out on the canal near Selby prior to use in the Lakes later on but have not yet had a chance. Like most others of this design I expect it will only be of help when sailing straight downwind but it is certainly cheap enough.

As we only have a small inflatable (Sevylor Pointer K2) I bought some plastic tarpaulin clips

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAITHFULL-...item51a080305f

on ebay for 4.45 so that the bottom end of the sail can be rolled up to reduce the total area if necessary.

When we get a chance to use it I will post again.

Alan

Thanks for the Info Alan.

all the best

Paul

If you really don't want to spend more than that then give it a try, but I would recommend taking some extra lengths of cord (or maybe shoe strings!?) so that when whoever is holding it up in a useful breeze gets a bit fedup and knackered (after about 10 minutes!) you have something to sort of "guy" it back with - like holding a tent up. It's a good idea to use some kind of quick release knot in case you need to dump it quickly.