Thread: What are the benefits of getting openly acknowledged access to 40,000 miles of river?

Default What are the benefits of getting openly acknowledged access to 40,000 miles of river?

OK, we want openly acknowledged hassle-free access to the 40,000 miles of river now disputed.

What happens when we get it?

What benefit does this bring to citizens of England and Wales?

(Scotland , you already have it... Northern Ireland, you don't seem to need it...)

How will this affect families, young people, clubs, youth groups, the health of the nation, the crime rate, general levels of sanity, natural justice... And so on?

What do you think?
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Journal Entries

Victory of good old COMMON SENSE???
    Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!

1, lowering of pressure on the hotspots "Wye" etc
    2, people using their local rivers when they can't now
    3, lowered stress due to reduced fear of verbal or physical assault
    4, If Paddlers and others are welcomed they are more likely to take ownership and actively care for the rivers

And you might actually see more people using the rivers, and dare I suggest, having fun? Heaven forbid!!!
    Cheers, Chris.

This is stuff that we need to persuade MPs and others of the value of what we want...
    Doug Dew

Increase in the overall health of the population due to exercise, as it removes one of the major barriers to paddling on local rivers.

Votes for the party that takes the campaign on board!

Lowering of pressure on the "hotspots" is a good one, as are nantcoly's other points

Ownership of local rivers.

It will mean better care of environment: The access we want must be tied in with responsible use. (And I would hope that action is taken against those who are not responsible). Responsible will mean that there will be less rubbish as responsible river users will drop less, and spot and report and maybe even help remove fly tipping, and more conservation activity where necessary.
    It will mean that more urban town dwellers will appreciate and treasure the countryside and so spend more time (and money) there.
    It will mean more children (and adults) will learn to enjoy being outside in the countryside, learning to be responsible, to assess and take managed risks and have a great sense of achievement and self respect.
    It will (maybe) mean that the participators of the different activities in the countryside will come to tolerate and understand each others needs – and respect them.
    .... and hopefully even more benefits that I haven’t thought of yet
    Sam

More people using the rivers, which will,

• Increase their health.
    • Motivate them to care for the rivers: clear rubbish, undertake conservation work etc.*
    • Give parents opportunities to spend time with their children, and benefit families.

Economic benefit of,
    • Increased spending on: gear, and with training/activity providers.
    • New businesses providing training, selling gear, etc
    • Increased spending in local shops and pubs etc near the rivers.

Social benefit of giving people, especially youth groups (Scouts, Guides, Youth Clubs, D of E, etc), something to do,* which will,
    • Reduce anti social behaviour eg crime*
    • Increase team work and be good for their educational development, which in turn will benefit the country economically and socially*

Depending exactly how we get "openly acknowledged hassle-free access to the 40,000 miles of river" it may not just be paddlers and other boaters, it could be wild swimmers and others as well. Potentially millions of people.

All the above points should appeal to MP's from all of the main political parties, but it should be possible to tailor communications with individual MP's to highlight benefits around their particular beliefs and policies. e.g. The points with * should appeal to conservatives who want to push David Camerons "Big Society"

What benefits? Ask yourself why should the pleasures of both those beautiful lands be kept for a select few? Dont want to sound all "braveheart" but it would give you Freedom.
    Keep the national park free.............................................. ............................. or we will never get this access back and lose it forever.

It will mean that there will be more scope for getting people off their backsides and out in the countryside, school outings etc (I recently read that kayaking can be done as part of GCSE PE now!) It'll give people more appreciation for life.

Default P,f,l,o,p

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyt05 View Post
    What benefits? Ask yourself why should the pleasures of both those beautiful lands be kept for a select few? Dont want to sound all "braveheart" but it would give you Freedom.

'Och' I'm with you 'Jimmy'!, that's part of what we have to gain, along with the right to spy on those fishermen, what

have they got to hide, why do they need so much privacy,we will only know, when we have the legal backing to peer at

them, then, and only then can the general population be put at their ease.

All Hale That Day.....

Significant economic benefit. Living in Wales, it is very clear the huge economic benefit that comes from countryside, mountains and coast. The Welsh Assembly gets behind this with considerable investment and support: we have the countries first coastal national park and mountain parks in Snowdonia etc. and significant funding streams. Outdoor activities such as mountain biking are actively encouraged by multiple agencies in co-operation. The economic reward from this in the 100s of millions of pounds.

However, when it comes to rivers, there is almost no active promotion. Anything that is attempted is jumped on by the "we own the rivers" contingent. I spoke to one of the officers at the Brecon Beacon National Park who said that if someone asks where they can paddle in the summer, the answer is basically on the canal or pay to use Llangorse lake. I also heard from someone in Pembrokeshire about their attempts to open up the rivers there and the total frustration they ended up with.

The rivers of Wales are of international significance and is would be a huge economic benefit if they were opened up in the right way.

It needs someone with a sledgehammer to crack the "nuts" as it were!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMW View Post
    It needs someone with a sledgehammer to crack the "nuts" as it were!
    I don't think it does.

It needs some cooperation between anglers and paddlers.
    It needs the deep mistrust between both parties removing.
    Some nuts (on both sides) need the sledgehammer treatment, but they are in the minority.

Look at the Wye thread. Look how some paddlers have commented and helped with the (watch the spawning grounds) poster which will be going up around the upper river soon.
    We (our combined efforts) did that in two weeks or so from start to finish. Sure we (Wye Salmon Assoc) have to change some deeply-ingrained attitudes held in the angling community, but that will happen in time.

I'm not sure it will increase the number of users much but I think it will take the pressure off those hotspots for paddling.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaks2hire.co.uk View Post
    And you might actually see more people using the rivers, and dare I suggest, having fun? Heaven forbid!!!
    This comment triggered a memory of something I said to a passing single sculler ..

It was a stunning early summers morning (holiday season, Saturday!), a shimmering high tide on the Teign estuary (so access is no issue).. Just me (canoe of course) and the rower on the water..

"This is the best kept secret.. Dont tell anyone" .. I told him..

"I cant believe it, where is everyone?".. he replied.

This aint the first time Ive thought this... and it wont be the last..
    No we are a breed apart.. unless there was a John Lewis or Mac Ds on every portage or 'put-in' I dont think it'll make a jot of difference...thank God!

So regards 40,000 extra 'legal'* miles.. It'll probably be SNAFU ! ie The Song Remains the Same...

*The word 'legal' used but not intended to infere access wasnt legal in the first place ..woteva that means!?
    Oh no, dont start you lot...

Maybe, the government will start to consider whether this is actually such a good idea. Water is dangerous, we know this because if you use a heated indoor swimming pool, you need to be constantly watched over by a lifeguard. Once it is realised that there are a load of quite dangerous weirs on many rivers, not to mention rapids, people will need to be protected from them, signs will be required, safety booms, exclusion zones. Then there is the question of the many ‘stakeholders’ who might be affected, we’ve all heard of these, maybe they should start sharing out this valuable resource amongst all those who want to use it. I know, lets have a system of agreements for each river section so that this sharing can be seen to be fair. We will need a watchdog to oversee this, that’s going to cost money so let’s introduce a licensing system to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    Maybe, the government will start to consider whether this is actually such a good idea. Water is dangerous, we know this because if you use a heated indoor swimming pool, you need to be constantly watched over by a lifeguard. Once it is realised that there are a load of quite dangerous weirs on many rivers, not to mention rapids, people will need to be protected from them, signs will be required, safety booms, exclusion zones. Then there is the question of the many ‘stakeholders’ who might be affected, we’ve all heard of these, maybe they should start sharing out this valuable resource amongst all those who want to use it. I know, lets have a system of agreements for each river section so that this sharing can be seen to be fair. We will need a watchdog to oversee this, that’s going to cost money so let’s introduce a licensing system to pay for it.
    As far as I know, this hasn't happened in Scotland or in any other country where access is not absurdly restricted like it is here, (and that means in virtually every other country in the world ).

I personally would not mind paying a license fee if the money was spent on developing canoeing resources, but I know most people do not share this view...
    Last edited by dougdew99; 30th-October-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Doug Dew