Thread: Whitesell Canoe?

Default Whitesell Canoe?

From what I have found out so far I only expect a handful of people here will know about these, but here goes anyway:

Does anyone have any experience the 14 foot Whitesell Canoe?

I understand the guy stopped building them several years ago but they had a cult following in the East of the US, unfortunately I can only find a very few reviews so was wondering if anyone here could add anything?

Cheers

Jim

How hard can it be?

Thanks for those links yellowcanoe - all different to the discussions I found (which were all favourable but none of the details that your 3rd link has).

Any idea, did they all have bulkheads rather than thigh straps? A bulkhead might be better for me!

Cheers

Jim

How hard can it be?

I don't know. Ezwater must be familiar with these. I wonder why he has not chimed in.
    "Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing." WS-prophecy about internet postings.

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    From what I have found out so far I only expect a handful of people here will know about these, but here goes anyway:

Does anyone have any experience the 14 foot Whitesell Canoe?

I understand the guy stopped building them several years ago but they had a cult following in the East of the US, unfortunately I can only find a very few reviews so was wondering if anyone here could add anything?

Cheers

Jim
    I have a Whitesell canoe. In fact Nolan sent a pre-production to me for a 1984 trip starting at the headwaters of the Kern here in California. It involved carrying the canoe and gear for a ten day trip over Mount Whitney and paddling 50 - 60 miles to the nearest road. It's a class 4 and five river. It performed well. I used to paddle class 4 and 5 every weekend. Great canoe!

BobC

Thanks Bob!
    I did hire the Whitesell Piranha for my 2013 Grand Canyon trip in the end - great boat for that kind of water, unfortunately the one that was available was not in the best condition and not outfitted the best and I gather has since died. It was very easy to get on with, fast and stable, I think I took 9 swims in nearly 240 miles and only portaged Upset and Lava. Ran some of the biggest rapids fine, and had unlucky wave hits that filled me up and rolled me over on smaller rapids! Granite was a blast, heading right to left, wave smacked the bow around and turned me left to right, hit the boily right eddy still upright and somehow managed to stay upright and find my way out of it!

I've heard rumours of Headwaters of the Kern trips that hiked over Mt Whitney to the put in, I met a guy at Goodyear Bar in about 2002 who had done it that way some years before because the snow was really late thawing so the horses couldn't be acclimatised in time to carry their gear upriver, but I'm sure he was a kayaker. Just thinking about the size and weight of that canoe, plus hiking gear, camping gear and food for 10 days. Carrying all that over that high pass, man you cali-boaters are hard as nails! I've looked at satellite images on google maps and it looks real easy to get lost up there! I didn't even do the forks of the Kern when I was there because I didn't fancy the carry in (admittedly I had some neck/shoulder issues that recurred occasionally so was avoiding all long carries at the time), I've run most of the rest of it from Johnsondale bridge down though, also got Brush Creek on another trip out there, that was fun.

How hard can it be?