Thread: Teston Lock Closure 2012/13

Default Teston Lock Closure 2012/13

We've been informed by the Environment Agency that Teston Lock will be closed from October 2012 through March 2013 to allow some major works on the lock to take place.

http://allingtonlock.co.uk/2012_09R.pdf

The works are quite significant and will require a large area of the country park to be given over to the work site. We expect that most of the lock environs will be off limits to the public. The EA have said they will try to setup a portage route but warned that it is likely to be of some significant distance and probably therefore, not much fun. General advice is, if you can avoid the lock, do.

We anticipate there will also be some improvements of benefit to the paddling community (more of this later) so please be patient, and do keep out of the works area, which undoubtedly will be cordoned off.

If anyone has any questions please PM me and I will attempt to answer.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Having been caught out with a painfully long portage at Teston on 16th June, I spoke to the chap in charge of the works there. The latest estimate is for the canoe pass to open mid August, though they hope to reopen the normal portage route around the lock soon. At the moment you have to circumnavigate pretty much the entire country park :-(( and the put - in options below the works are "interesting" when the water's at summer levels...

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    We've been informed...
    Who is 'we' on this occasion?

Quote Originally Posted by AHPP View Post
    Who is 'we' on this occasion?
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...read.php?34437
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Good stuff. There's a similar setup for my local river.