Thread: The Cheek Spreader: A simple, comfy DIY latrine

Default The Cheek Spreader: A simple, comfy DIY latrine

Over the years, one of the most reliably voiced concerns by people who don't camp in the backcountry, or who've done so only a few times, is about how to poop comfortably in the woods.

For a lot of people, squatting is either too uncomfortable or just strenuous enough that they can't relax enough to have a satisfying bathroom experience...with the result that they either dread the idea of it so much they won't even try camping unless there's an actual bathroom or thunderbox, or else they go camping, but find that they're bunged up for days, leading to a pretty miserable trip.

So, I've made a little video of a quick, simple, and comfortable latrine setup which I now use on every camping trip.

I'd love to hear of any other latrine setups others here have used that is comfortable and doesn't involve just squatting.

Hope this helps,

-Martin
    No one has been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Intresting.
    I use a try pod system with a cross bar tied at a convenient height, I can then carry this and use it at different point's around the camp site.
    I also make a A-frame, like the one in the vid but with a longer cross bar, I use 2 sticks 6 foot long, tied together about 1 foot down from the top & the cross bar wide enough for me to sit in the triangle (yer know what I mean ?)
    Then place the top of the A-frame against a tree, sit down, and away you go.
    Now I have a third option thank's to your vid.
    Options 4,5 & 6 involves falling backward's into your own poop, so are not recommended
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but mostly I don't care !

thanks for the reminder to bury your poop, burn the toilet paper etc. sadly, that's a part of outdoor life that's too often forgotten.
    i myself keep it pretty simple: dig a hole, squat over it and get on with it...

A really good instructional video, I've just shared it with some of my friends in scouting.

The "be prepared", pre-dug hole is inspirational
    thanks,

Mike.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I have thighs of steel

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    I have thighs of steel
    Marcus ... sort out those swimming lessons ASAP ... I'm now really worried that if you fall in you'll sink like a stone.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Will do

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    Will do
    You know were I am boss!

Mine are like no other

Cheers Dave

Good video, I like it. A very good idea. Squatting isnta problem for me but that's a very simple idea that makes things more comfortable. I will have to try it. And I must say what could be seen as a sensitive subject handled very well.

Quote Originally Posted by PepsiMax View Post
    Good video, I like it. A very good idea. Squatting isnta problem for me but that's a very simple idea that makes things more comfortable. I will have to try it. And I must say what could be seen as a sensitive subject handled very well.
    Thanks for that PepsiMax. Yeah, it's one of those subjects that is of universal concern to campers, but nobody wants to talk about how it's not always an effortless business.

Cheers,
    - Martin
    No one has been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."