Thread: New Canoeists ?

Default New Canoeists ?

Hi
    How many people have come into the world of canoeing since the Olympics ? Were you inspired, know somebody who was from the tv coverage ? After watching the sprint racing and slalom kayaking would you have thought to take up open canoeing and touring ?
    What do you think?.

Tony

Radio 2 had a thing during the Olympics where the presenter (I can't remember which) was asking people if they had been inspired by the games; one guy texted in that he had been so inspired by the kayaking that he was off to the sea to paddle for a few hours -this was read out without irony!
    Damien

I've come to canoeing in the last few weeks. Technically I've come back to it, but given the gap of thirty odd years since we kayacked as kids, it probably counts as being new to me. Can't say I was inspired by anything to do with the Olympics, it had much more to do with finally having some available cash for a modest canoe, and the realisation this year that I'm not going to live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamNR17 View Post
    I've come to canoeing in the last few weeks. Technically I've come back to it, but given the gap of thirty odd years since we kayacked as kids, it probably counts as being new to me. Can't say I was inspired by anything to do with the Olympics, it had much more to do with finally having some available cash for a modest canoe, and the realisation this year that I'm not going to live forever.
    Could not agree more
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Great to see you've come into some available cash in these tough times!

My swim lessons have picked up a bit, but none of my clients, who know about my paddling have asked about taking up canoeing though.

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    Great to see you've come into some available cash in these tough times!
    I was made an offer I couldn't refuse for my favourite vintage bicycles. I miss it heaps but the pain is dulled by a fabulous new leisure activity

Great stuff!

I was in competition rowing for a few years, but I never met or heard of anyone who was inspired to buy a rowboat.

I have a slalom c-1 and it is a joy to use it just to rocket around from eddy to eddy. But I've never met or heard of anyone who was inspired to get into canoe camping by watching slalom paddling.

These competition events test certain specialized facets of canoeing and kayaking, raw speed or a combination of speed and maneuverability. They represent inspirational focusing that develops FROM everyday paddling. They aren't the source of anything.

That's it! That's what was missing! Of course! D'oh!

...in the Olympic events, not ONE canoe or kayak had a picnic hamper, dog or child in it

Sport really lacks reality sometimes

I've had a few people who have come and hired from me, that have said that they felt after watching the Olympics felt they needed to have a go. It'd be nice if they came a few more times to show their commitment though!!

I can't honestly say that it's created a huge hike in numbers though...
    Cheers, Chris.

CE linked to this little clip from ITV Central: http://www.itv.com/news/central/upda...lympic-legacy/
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Sue's Husband View Post
    Hi
    How many people have come into the world of canoeing since the Olympics ? ...
    What do you think?.

Tony
    This months Canoe Focus has an article on the Olympic Legacy. Amongst other statistics it quotes:
    35,000 new people have been introduced to canoeing
    4x increase in searches for canoe clubs
    5x increase in web traffic
    160,000 spectators at Lee Valley and Eton Dorney.
    Many millions of TV viewers.

(Of course it doesn't separate out kayaking from canoeing in this context).
    Last edited by enjoyer; 11th-September-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: To mention kayaking

Get ready for a surge of Stand Up Paddle..............

Mu colleague, who swore she would never go near a canoe, went to Weymouth to see the sailing (as it looked like an interesting place to picnic and she was staying nearby). The BCU were running come and try a canoe/kayak and she and her family had a go. They all really enjoyed it! I don't think that she will be taking it up but it is a huge step forward for a boat-hater and I am sure others will end up buying boats.

The BCU were running come and try it session at Dorney Lake during the sprints. It was in a tent!!!!!!!!!!!!!