Thread: New man at DEFRA

Default New man at DEFRA

There is a new man at the head of DEFRA! - Owen Paterson.

He was educated at Radley College, near Abingdon, which has a strong rowing tradition and lists history among his interests so he should be intellectually able to understand the historic basis for the claim that there is a public right of navigation on all English rivers.

Time to write to him? Does anyone live in his North Shropshire constituency?
    Last edited by KeithD; 4th-September-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Keith

Write to him anyway as his department are one of the biggest blocks.....

Another person in DEFRA to fight....

Owen Paterson, the new Secretary of State for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, is known to be from the right wing of the Conservative party and his promotion to the environmental role is likely to delight grassroot Tories.

More here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...Secretary.html

New environment secretary Owen Paterson will worry greens
    “Paterson lists trees as an interest but is no treehugger, supporting the badger cull and opposing renewable energy. The reshuffle has left the cabinet less green”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...?newsfeed=true

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-Secretary.htm
    www.telegraph.co.uk

And now there is another one!

David Heath, Lib Dem MP who supported the Early Day Motion 1331 (RIVER ACCESS FOR NON-POWERED CRAFT - 2008) , is in as Minister of State for Agriculture and Food. Is this the first time we have had a supporter of new access law inside Defra?
    Keith

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I'd imagine that access issues are pretty much at the bottom of a very long list in his in-tray, assuming they are even on his list ...

Maybe access issues should henceforth be disguised as planning applications for economic development, airport extensions, shale-gas exploration / extraction, et cetera ... then you'll be certain to get them through in double-quick time.

(All points taken from editorial comments found freely online to simply illustrate a point - not to suggest advocating, nor disagreement with any particular party-political bias / leaning).

I'd imagine that access issues are pretty much at the bottom of a very long list in his in-tray, assuming they are even on his list ...

You are correct. Writing his memoirs, doing business deals while he has some power for when he retires, and sorting out off shore accounts are a much higher priority.

Romsey, Paddle estuaries within an hour, also club member and coach, and scout canoeing helper

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork View Post
    Maybe access issues should henceforth be applications for economic development, then you'll be certain to get them through in double-quick time.
    I think this is very sensible - maximise the uses of natural resources (waterways) and stimulate spending in local economies (accommodation, food) and british industries (boats and kit) and services (coaching and paddlesports centres). It also has health benefits (getting people out and active)

We are currently under using a national economic resource at a time when the economy is in recession and should be removing any barriers to ecominic growth in that sector (such as the denial of rights of navigation). It wouldn't require any new legislation (Just a recognition of the existing public rights)

Yes there may have to be compromises between conflicting uses to ensure maximum economic output but that should be possible. Look at the models elsewhere in the world where paddling and some very expensive fishing co-exist.

How would the new minister like to make some fact finding trips to the US, Europe or even just Scotland?

Brevan
    Brevan,
    The truth (about Rights of Navigation) is out there
    Romsey, Hampshire
    Twitter: BrevanM
    Follow my blog at http://riveraccessrights.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Brevan View Post
    I think this is very sensible - maximise the uses of natural resources (waterways) and stimulate spending in local economies (accommodation, food) and british industries (boats and kit) and services (coaching and paddlesports centres). It also has health benefits (getting people out and active)

We are currently under using a national economic resource at a time when the economy is in recession and should be removing any barriers to ecominic growth in that sector (such as the denial of rights of navigation). It wouldn't require any new legislation (Just a recognition of the existing public rights)

Yes there may have to be compromises between conflicting uses to ensure maximum economic output but that should be possible. Look at the models elsewhere in the world where paddling and some very expensive fishing co-exist.

How would the new minister like to make some fact finding trips to the US, Europe or even just Scotland?

Brevan
    Serious question. Do you have details of where paddling and expensive fishing co-exist happily? Specifically the UK if you have them.

The River Helmsdale in Sutherland is pretty expensive. But I understand from a quick Google that access is blocked for paddlers on the very expensive beats.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Brevan View Post

Brevan
    e.g. River Moriston in Scotland. Home to the Glenmoriston Estate:
    In the River Moriston you will find some of the finest salmon fishing in Scotland. The Glenmoriston Estate has the exclusive fishing rights for 12.5 mi. of the river.

Home to white water paddlers:

Home to shared use and consideration of other river users, as shown by the timing of the Wet West Paddle Fest when large numbers of paddlers congregate:
    [...] in discussions with the local fishermen, we realised that early season was when they valued the fishing most, so the event moved to September [...]
    Home to fish that aren't scared of boats:
    In the fishing season we also have fishing from boats on Loch Ness for salmon nd brown trout
    and paddling for all tastes.

Mind you it's a 10hr/550 mile drive from my house. I might be better off taking the 9hr/340 mile trip to the River Trieux in Brittany:
    one of France's premier salmon and sea trout rivers
    where I could also do this.
    Last edited by John Saunders; 7th-September-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Extra info

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    The River Helmsdale in Sutherland is pretty expensive. But I understand from a quick Google that access is blocked for paddlers on the very expensive beats.
    Please share your findings. There's an example of how to do this on the post above, and another one at post #175 here. I believe you were going to
    do some checking around and come back to the forum