Thread: Hi All,

Default Hi All,

I know this is a little late as I've made a few posts but here goes,

My 'real' names John so I'll some times add this or JD to the end of my posts,

I live in a small village on the Ards peninsula, Co. Down N.Ireland. so Strangford Lough is about 15 meters away at high tide.

I'll paddle just about anything, and have river and surf kayaks as well as my open boat, and plan on adding a sea boat later in the year,

I've paddled open boats for about three years, and last year managed (somehow) to get a 4 star certificate.

I also work part-time in a canoe/kayak/cycle shop in Newtownards

Thats about all from me, great site

JD
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Welcome John.

Like the sound of having the water 15 m away. I have to travel almost 150m to get to the nearest Loch
    John

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bikemec
    I know this is a little late as I've made a few posts but here goes,

My 'real' names John so I'll some times add this or JD to the end of my posts,

I live in a small village on the Ards peninsula, Co. Down N.Ireland. so Strangford Lough is about 15 meters away at high tide.

I'll paddle just about anything, and have river and surf kayaks as well as my open boat, and plan on adding a sea boat later in the year,

I've paddled open boats for about three years, and last year managed (somehow) to get a 4 star certificate.

I also work part-time in a canoe/kayak/cycle shop in Newtownards

Thats about all from me, great site

JD

15 mtrs away sounds ideal.
    I like the canoe / bike shop idea too.

Any thoughts on which sea boat yet ? - I'm thinking about one too ...

Hi monkey-pork,

I have been as confused over sea boats as canoe choice, Having now paddled a few I'd thought of a Valley Nordkap (maybe the Jubilee) or a Nigel Denis Greenlander (pro) I've spent a day in each an like the feel of them, but only had day kit with me,
    Then Alaw boats came along and look stunning (I think) but I haven't paddled one, the company are willing to let me try one, or hire one before I buy,

Then just to confuse me even more a local composite manufacturer is about to release a boat, Through the shop I am going to get a look at one of these, and this could work out a lot cheaper

I've got to say I'm 6' tall and weigh around 16 stone so anything has to be quite large,

I have padled an old Anus Acuta, very small and in waves a wet ride but soooo much fun

Lastly ( I'm rambling) I don't really want a plastic sea boat, I know there are reasons for and against but I think it's just a bit of snobbery rising it's head, but I don't have £1600 for a new boat either so I may end up considering one

I hope some of this makes sense to you
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

John,
    It makes perfect sense.

I think I've got the Valley boat at the top of my list too, having seen one at the ASWatersports canoe and kayak show a few months back, and had a good chat with the blokes from Valley about the boat - I never actually got one in the water tho, as the waiting list was huge. It's quite a hard choice, and I'm with you here - I don't really want a plastic boat, but am I too rough to paddle a composite, (maybe just think a bit more, and don't use the boat quite so much like an amphibious landing craft).

To me there is much in common between an open and a sea boat, especailly the exploration and wilderness camping side of it - the technical side of the paddling is quite a different discipline of course, but the boat as a vehicle to discovery, well, theres a strong connection there.

You may have seen it, but this link looked quite useful ...

I tried to answer this last night, but something went wrong and nothing got posted,

I was lucky enough to try the Valley over a two day course, first day I spent most of my time in an Islander Expedition, but swapped to the Nordkap for the last 1/2 mile, but this was flat water, no wind lots of sunburn, day two I stayed in the Nordkap and the sea got bigger as the day went on. It started with very small chop, but by lunch time a reasonable swell. After lunch (on an island) we paddled across a small sound, and got out 5km short due to the weather change. I then padled the 5k with the course instructor, larger swell, surfing, calpoitis, and worried looks from me.

During this the boat just got better and better, it was unloaded, I'd left the soup and bothy bag with the rest of the group, but except for one breaking wave I felt safe.

I agree that the idea of seaboats and canoes are a lot more similar than they first look.

If you want to see what a sea boat can do get a look at "This is the sea" or the follow up "this is the sea 2" Opened my eyes!
    JD