Thread: River Tay, SCA to Grandtully incl.

Default River Tay, SCA to Grandtully incl.

An interesting day with some drama to finish. In order to protect the guilty, only the boats are identified!

We had a Spirtit2 plus dog, Dagger Rival, Dagger Encore and MRC Explorer 15 on the water at the SCA by noon. In view of the precious cargo the Wenonah Spirit spent the day cruising slowly and relaxed, only going for the big, safe eddies, whilst the others played at every opportunity. There was an early swim for the side-surfing Rival, but other than that we bummbled down to Grandtully in fine style.

Once there the three occupants of the Spirit baled out to provide bank cover for the three runners. Each boat just sailed on down with ease, taking the RH line as the water was fairly high.

We then ran the shuttle and folk started to get changed. Then 2 folk decided to run the rapids again, the Encore going down without bank cover as we were caught napping (drinking coffee). Disgruntled at not having photos taken a third run was quickly organised, this time with the Rival in attendance.

2 capsizes in rapid succession saw disaster strike as the photographer missed with a throwbag for the first swimmer, and although prepared for the second, he never made it into range due to FOOT ENTRAPMENT in the shallows R right.

I should add that the photographer was not wearing a PFD at this stage, and as it was locked in the car, the keys being with another who was attending lost canoes further downstream, it was some time before the trapped swimmer could be aided. This aid came mainly in the form of slalom kayakers.

The kayakers played an even bigger role in the rescue of the pinned canoe which was held mid stream by an errant swim line which was incorrectly attached to the canoe. The youngsters in the slalom kayaks went well beyond the call of duty to get a line attached and to attempt to cut the tangled swim line.

Some lessons for us all here.

Just because you have run a drop twice it does not mean that a third run will be without difficulties.

End of the day, one last run, are probably the risky ones.

If you know your party has got changed, or are wandering about drinking coffee without PFD's on, it is not a good idea to announce another run moments before leaving the bank.

Its not really a good idea to give bank 'cover' with a throwbag if you are not fully equipped and focused on the job. But when someone is already on the water, even that compromised cover is better than nothing.

Make sure that you understand and follow the clean end principle when rigging swim lines.

Don't assume you will have a band of courageous and talented youngsters at hand to risk their necks recovering your canoe.

Keep your feet up when swimming, and be prepared to swim further to avoid standing up too soon (unless being swept into obvious greater danger)

In case I've given the wrong impression, we all had a great day. But that foot entrapment could have been very nasty.

As my old school teacher once said......learn by other people's mistakes, but some of us have to be the other people.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1
    Make sure that you understand and follow the clean end principle when rigging swim lines.
    And the clean end principal is.........................?

Obviousley I know but for the benefit of others
    John

Something I learnt after a swim, the photog/ safety wouldn't do a second throw as he "didn't want to risk the camera getting wet" so now when it's safety, one job per person

Clean end principal is keep the end of your ropes clean... ie no knots, handles, fluffy dice etc...
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Quote Originally Posted by bikemec
    Clean end principal is keep the end of your ropes clean... ie no knots, handles, fluffy dice etc...
    I tend to tie the end of the rope from my throwbag to the stern of the canoe and plan to grab the bag if I have to swim. Is this the wrong way round?
    John

I generally clip the bag to the boat, and leave a short end loose to grab.

The idea being that if I have to release the rope and swim for it, the rope has less chance of catching on rocks, branches, fences etc, then either pulling what ever you have the rope clipped to out of the boat or leaving the boat trapped by the swim line mid stream.

Also if I need to use the throw bag for throwing I can quickly unclip it, rather than starting to untie it, with cold hands (insert own reasons for not undoing knots quickly)

I use a karabiner to clip the throw bag in, so have to remember that if taking the bag for rescues, leave the karabiner on the boat, don't want to throw that at a friends head, or.......
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    I tend to tie the end of the rope from my throwbag to the stern of the canoe and plan to grab the bag if I have to swim. Is this the wrong way round?
    Verry much the wrong way round. Make sure you have half a dozen keen and able slalomists to hand using this system.

Quote Originally Posted by bikemec
    I generally clip the bag to the boat, and leave a short end loose to grab.

The idea being that if I have to release the rope and swim for it, the rope has less chance of catching on rocks, branches, fences etc, then either pulling what ever you have the rope clipped to out of the boat or leaving the boat trapped by the swim line mid stream.

Also if I need to use the throw bag for throwing I can quickly unclip it, rather than starting to untie it, with cold hands (insert own reasons for not undoing knots quickly)

I use a karabiner to clip the throw bag in, so have to remember that if taking the bag for rescues, leave the karabiner on the boat, don't want to throw that at a friends head, or.......
    This is the correct way to do it if you insist on using a throwbag as a swim line. Better to have seperate swim lines (at both ends), and dedicated throwbags. The swim lines can be purchased as throwbags for convienience, but designated swim lines.

Don't worry about the krab. I have a krab inside my throwbags, clipped to a very tight loop internally. This way, if I need a rope I can unclip it from the bags without any bother. Even with a krab on the outside of the bag I don't see much of an issue. Certainly few bags are ever thrown with enough accuracy to hit someone on the head. And who is going to complain if you pull them out of a rapid? Better to not have the krab on the outside I suppose, but don't delay a throw for the sake of removing it.