Thread: river dochart guide

Default river dochart guide

hi, me and some friends are going to kayak from loch lubhair to just before killin avoiding the falls. Are there any books on this river giving photos, descriptions etc and tips on certain parts. We are fairly inexperienced and have no desire to take on anything dodgy as we will be in inflatable seyvlors. we will portage 1 of the rapids we've seen on you tube nut I would like have a good guide book if there are any, just to be as clued up as possible and general interest really. Would be grateful if anyone knew of such literature and/or any tips

There are quite a few bloggs on here with info if you haven't already come across them do a search on Dochart. This one was quite a nice one. The trip is also covered in Scottish Canoe Classics but perhaps not in the detail you want. It refers to 3 rapids, Corriecharorach, Lix rapids and Falls of Dochart. I think it's a local for a number of folk on here so I'm sure you'll be able to get some local advice if you have any specific questions.

It was our Plan B for a recent Scotland trip but Plan A was a goer so it may be Plan A for our next trip North in September!.

Enjoy the trip.

cheers elveys

Rather than start a new thread, does anyone have more detailed info about the Lix Toll Rapids? Have managed to find bloggs/theads with info and pics of Corriecharorach and Falls of Dochart but not much on these particular rapids.

Cheers

John

Is this picture any use?

Also Google maps street view from the minor road on north side gives some views which might give an indication of what might be expected.
    Last edited by Quercus; 11th-August-2012 at 02:03 PM.

the SCA Scottish Canoe Touring guide says about Lix Toll rapids

"Woodlands start on right bank, giving warning of the approaching rapids, which start imediately where left bank is wooded and road is right alongside... Two main drops, followed by a roacky stretch over some 500m. Not difficult with good steering. Bottom of rapids is a good place to take out unless intending to do Falls of Dochart."

I haven't done this section but understand it is a grd3 in most conditions.
    Someone did it in my minuet which made it to the bottom upright but underwater!
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Hello

I live at the falls in Killin.

Lix Toll: is not a 'difficult' rapid, but is most certainly grade 3. First drop can form a big and grippy stopper. After that it is a thread through the rocks, with few issues AS LONG as you can thread the rocks. It is quite long - 4-500m or so, and has one final drop for fun / surfing.
    In low water is only just a grade 3, because of the need to 'hit' a line. In big water it is huge (as with all the Dochart) and you would not be there. I have seen Lix with 4' standing waves on. A swim on Lix can be a long one - very fast and few eddies / easy bits...
    First two pics mine, in low water (the only ones I have...), second in 'mid' level.

Dochart river, Killin by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Dochart river, Killin by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Also at mid level:
    Some more from friends facebook

Upstream there is also Corriechaorach - again a grade 3 for the need to 'hit the line'
    Last edited by matt_outandabout; 12th-August-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks for adding the information above which is very helpful.

Cheers

John

The lower photo on this site (hosted at our clubs cottage), shows the Dochart at Crianlarich. The Dochart regularly floods the grass either side, and this gives a decent indication as to what to expect levels wise closer to Killin

http://www.benmorewebcam.co.uk/

The pic below shows what it looks like at Crianlarich when its running fast at Killin