Thread: Canoe Friendly Camp Sites

Default Canoe Friendly Camp Sites

I am looking at places to go camping this summer and would be grateful of any advice on good sites with easy canoe access to either rivers or lochs or sheltered sea. At the momernt I am only looking at Scotland, but any suggestions of good sites from south of Hadrians wall would be welcomed.

I will say at this point that I am not looking for wild sites as these should be kept to thoes who take the trouble to find them and not advertised openly.

Many thanks
    Chris

ConnelBridge and Onich CaravanClub sites.

I'm going to the Forrestry Commison site at Loch Morlich at Easter. Right on the lochside.

Nick

I'll need to have a look at thoes two.

The FC site at Loch Morlich we've used before and is excellent BUT all the FC sites were subcontracted out last year and now the minimum stay is 3 nights and you have to book in advance!
    Chris

Journal Entries

Default Canoe Friendly Camp Sites

If you are considering West Wales I can name a few. Close to Teifi, Cleddau Estuary and the pembs Coast

A few off the top of my head.

Forestry Commission at Cashel (Loch Lomond) and also at Cobleland on the Forth near Aberfoyle (Lochs Ard, Chon and Katrine not far away).

Loch Ken, Dumfries and Galloway, one site halfway up(v busy in summer) and also camping at the Sailing Centre in the north.

Strathyre -campsite by Balvag river and thereby access to Loch Lubnaig
    (also Forestry Commission Chalets on Loch Lubnaig)

Q

Just realised that some of those are a bit close to home for you.

Theres a campsite at the end of Loch Tay at Kenmore also one in Aberfeldy.

Cannich near Drumnadrochit very handy for Glen Affric lochs and river, river Glass, Loch Ness, Loch Mullardoch and river Cannich (just below the dam for about 5K nice and easy by the looks of it)

Faichem near Invergarry for Lochs Garry, Quoich and Oich and not far from Arkaig and Lochy.

Q

Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    I'll need to have a look at thoes two.

The FC site at Loch Morlich we've used before and is excellent BUT all the FC sites were subcontracted out last year and now the minimum stay is 3 nights and you have to book in advance!
    And they are very expensive.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
    Theres a campsite at the end of Loch Tay at Kenmore also one in Aberfeldy.
    Q
    From scottishcampingguide.com/

For Information only as of 2005 NO TENTS AND NO TOURERS.
    Total pitches: 220
    Pub onsite
    Open from Mar to Oct
    Our view: Was one of the best sites until 2005 when they stopped taking campers and tourers WHICH IS A DISGRACE REALLY. A great range of activities and places to visit locally like the Crannog Centre. Free fishing on River Tay for kids. Many local walks and outdoor

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    Yes it does say that on the online booking form. However, I phoned the call centre this morning and booked for next Friday and Saturday night only. It cost £30 for the two of us , but worth it to be near the water. You can get a reduction if you buy a 'forest experience' card, but that will only pay back if you're planning on using FC sites a fair bit over the season.

If anyone else is up that way next weekend, keep an eye open for Quentin!

Cheers,

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Thought of another couple of sites.

Rothiemurchus near Aviemore - very reasonable price and excellent facilities.

If you don't mind basic - toilet and cold water- the site at Achnahaird near Achiltibuie is a fantastic location and near the Polly Lochs, Loch Sionascaig, Cam Loch, Fionn Loch, Loch Veyatie. Apparently you can get a shower at the Achiltibuie Community Centre.

Q

Default Canoe friendly campsites

Spotted this one on Loch Sween which I've heard has some excellent paddling. I've not been there but it is on my list of places to go...

http://www.tayvallich.com/accoLeachive.htm

Looks like a nice spot, exposed enough to be midge free.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Leafletter View Post
    Spotted this one on Loch Sween which I've heard has some excellent paddling. I've not been there but it is on my list of places to go...

http://www.tayvallich.com/accoLeachive.htm
    It's absolutely superb round there. We keep our other boat at Bellanoch on the canal 5 miles N of Tavallich. All round there is places to go, River Add, Crinan Canal, Fairie Isles, Coal Scotnish.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Charles_River View Post
    ... exposed enough to be midge free....
    No chance!!!!!
    Chris

Im looking for somewhere to go this weekend. Might give Loch Sween a go. Thanks for the heads up.

Default Pembokeshire camp sites

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    If you are considering West Wales I can name a few. Close to Teifi, Cleddau Estuary and the pembs Coast
    Bob,

I am interested in campsites in this area,especially Cleddau Estuary.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Charles_River View Post
    From scottishcampingguide.com/

For Information only as of 2005 NO TENTS AND NO TOURERS.

Our view: Was one of the best sites until 2005 when they stopped taking campers and tourers WHICH IS A DISGRACE REALLY.
    That would be tarps and bivi bags only then would it
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

We camped recently at Kilvrecht Campsite on S side of Loch Rannoch near Carie, good loch paddling on various local lochs & rivers as well. They even had midgie munchers, but we were still munched ourselves.

More info at http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/r...vrechtCampsite

might be a bit to far south, but one of my fav camping sites is o Outney Meadow at Bungay suffolk. just on the edge of the Norfolk broads and loverly paddling and at this site you can book for 1 night or 30 unlike some sites that you have to pay for 3 nights minimum

more info: http://www.outneymeadow.co.uk/
    MARK (suffolk_mac)

Journal Entries

Default camp sites - pembrokeshire

Hi Shafe

I use two, but although I know where they are, i,ve mislaid phone numbers. However I,m on the case will repsond shortly.

Bob

Thanks Bob, just the names will do if you can't find the numbers.

I'm almost reluctant to mention this for fear of overuse, but you lot seem like a nice bunch.

On Mull, south west corner is Fidden. Take the road to Fionnphort, (ferry for Iona) and take left turn by the tourist info centre.

It is a farm campsite and fairly basic when I was last there but that is how we want it. You can camp right by the beach, with spectacular views all around. There are facilities in Fionnphort, including a good pub which is a reasonable walk or better bike ride away. and fairly sheltered paddling and fishing options from the beach. For sea kayakers, Iona, Staffa and Treshnish are in range, and canoes are sheltered by nearby Erraid.

Although I have seen seals dolphins and otters from the camp, I have never ever seen a midge.