Thread: Discreet/wild camping trip in England or Wales

Default Discreet/wild camping trip in England or Wales

I'm thinking of going on a canoe camping trip over Easter, somewhere that isn't too far north (don't fancy fighting too much bank holiday traffic, or spending most of the time driving) and can be done as a there-and-back trip to avoid any shuttle issues. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of wild (well, not really wild down south...) camping on the Thames, or canals like the Llangollen or Mon and Brec. I'll be going solo, so should be fairly discreet.
    Thanks.

Default Discreet wild camping

Hi Amelia
    It's not exactly wild camping but some of the locks on the Thames allow camping if you arrive under your own steam. Facilities are pretty basic but they are very cheap. Even in August we have been on our own at Rushey Lock and Shifford Lock including during Bank Holidays. (Perhaps I shouldn't be publicising this). We have wild camped by the Thames but since all the land is privately owned didn't feel too relaxed about it and will only do it as a last resort.

This is a link to the list of campsites including locks on the Thames.
    www.visitthames.co.uk/ecamping.html

Day's Lock is beautifully situated but not so canoe friendly, and the lock keeper is a bit officious. Eynsham is nice but road noise could be a problem. Pinkhill is quiet and peaceful but totally shaded by trees, maybe not too much of a problem at Easter. A good put-in is at Wolvercote where there is a car park with access to a stream that enters the Thames near Godstow lock. Drop off the canoe and then lose the car by parking it in a residential street in the village. Much safer than leaving it overnight in the car park. Pinkhill lock is then a nice easy paddle upstream.

Hi Amelia

I will have a look at my maps and PM you some suggested wild camp spots along the Thames.

Nigel

Llyne Brianne..... west of Abergwesyn.

A Shop-free zone.