Thread: OCSG Meet at Roadford Lake Devon June 23rd -24th

Default OCSG Meet at Roadford Lake Devon June 23rd -24th

This is a local meet organised by the OCSG for any canoe sailors or those interested in learning more about sailing canoes in the south west, below is info from meet organiser Warin Kelly
    I will be there from early am saturday through to sunday with my purpose built Solway dory open canoe, if anyone wants to come along and try out sailing a canoe I'll be more then happy to take you for a spin or let you have a go.
    Unk

ROADFORD LAKE LOCAL MEET, DEVON –- 23rd 24th June 2012

Roadford is in West Devon on the North Western edge of Dartmoor. Map Ref LR190 420907. From up country take the M5 to Exeter, turn off onto the A30 heading towards Okehampton, continue on A30 past Okehampton, and in 13 miles turn off at the large brown tourist sign “ Milford Steam village, Roadford Lake”. R at T (Roadford Lake) over A30 and follow road for 2 miles to lake, continue over dam and in ½ mile R down narrow lane to Watersports Centre.

Details of Camping, Launch fees and all the other activities are on the “South West Lakes Trust “Website www. Swlakestrust.org.uk..Phone 01409 211507 to make your arrangements.. The lake is open all week.

Canoe launching is £6.50 per day. You must have Third party insurance. BCU or OCSG membership includes this. But make sure you have your membership card in case you are asked. Launching is allowed between 9.00am and 5.00pm and there is rescue boat cover for this period.
    This, with its rescue facilities, is an ideal location for messing around with the family, honing your skills, Canoe sailing for the first time, or trying out rigs etc. You can also hire a variety of craft, and there is a high ropes course and other land based activities.

There is a café on the other side of the lake serving lunches and teas. And if the weather is fine the centre barbecue may be available. There is now a Bistro operating at the cafe on Friday and Saturday evenings.

For those who don`t want to spend all their time sailing the market towns of Tavistock, and Launceston with its Norman Castle, are close by, as is Lydford with its Gorge and another Norman Castle, and the western edge of Dartmoor.

Do you still need 3rd party insurance if you just paddle (not sailing)?

I'd like to come see the rigs and options, but would also like to be able to paddle my own canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    Do you still need 3rd party insurance if you just paddle (not sailing)?

I'd like to come see the rigs and options, but would also like to be able to paddle my own canoe.

If you are a member of the OCSG, then you are covered, if you are not a OCSG then I think you would still be covered as a "guest". I think that is the case , but I 'm sure one of the more established OCSG members will confirm this.Bring your own boat, its a nice lake to paddle, and you more then welcome to have a try out on my sailing canoe.
    Last edited by unk tantor; 8th-June-2012 at 05:07 AM.

I dont think 3rd party insurance will be for guests, just members. We dont normally bother with this and welcome guests to come along at other meets, but reservoirs often have their own set of rules.
    Simple answer is why not join the OCSG. I notice that you have been looking in at canoe sailing for a while, and for only £20 you will have access to loads of information , be able to come along to a few meets arranged down South, and meet a few of the members who will generally be very welcoming and share lots of experience with you. We are looking to expand the number of meets locally in each of the regions so why not become a part of this. Unk is arranging a meet on the Dart later in summer and would love all the support he could get. As well as meets on the Beauly River in the New Forest.

Yep, got a peachy camping spot right on the best part of the Dart estuary booked for this summer, more details nearer the date. The meet at Roadford is ideal to try out canoe sailing for the first time, they have crash boats on the water and I have a pair of outriggers I can put on my canoe which makes it even more confidence inspiring for beginners or trying-outers.
    Also Warin is a great source of info about sailing canoes and gave me a load of ideas and suggestions when I met him there last year.

I found some old negatives of a OCSG meet at Roadford, this was the first OCSG meet I attended (not that I've been to that many) this was in 2006 I think.

I was there in my Grumman with home made rig, I think windorpaddle was there because I recognise his canoe in some of the photos, and I remember Dave S telling me in the nicest possible way that my polytarp sail wouldn't sail into the wind so well.

Not sure I was there but I did go to one of the Roadford meets a few years ago. I can't see my present or previous boat in those pics and if you think you can see the big black canoe in other pics you have, it was in fact then owned by James B, from Cornwall from whom I bought it about 4 years ago. I had a cream coloured Mad River Explorer before that.

Will Solway Dory be there? Will they have rigs and kit there for sale?

If the latter is affirmative, then I must remember to leave my credit cards at home or I'll have a lot of explaining to do when I get home!

Just looking at the photos gets me excited about sailing my Penobscot and wishing I already had all the gear and it was fitted.

Unfortunately it is a very long way for me to go, so i will not be making it this time. Your cheque book is safe.

Here you go, sorry I missed you out on the other pics:

Looking back at the earlier pics my Explorer is there - what had contributed to my confusion is that I must have borrowed a little mizzen lugsail (probably from SD) to try it out - I'd completely forgotten about it.

I remember everyone being quicker then me that day and putting it down to my poor sail, mind you everyone at Loch Sunart seemed quicker then me and I no longer have that excuse!

On Loch Sunart, we were probably using our paddles a bit more than you, and the wind was very variable. Chris was way ahead of me a lot of the time with his 35 Bemudan, and i had my 54 Bermudan on.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    Unfortunately it is a very long way for me to go, so i will not be making it this time. Your cheque book is safe.
    (Pantomime voice) Ooooh no it's not!

Not since I've been reading reviews on the Expedition Bermudan Rig. I have abandoned all hope of not smashing the little piggy bank!

But I'm trying not to rush in with wild enthusiasm. I'll talk to the good folks at this event about what I should get and what I don't really need to have. I want my rigging to be fairly simple so it's not a mission to go sailing.

I thought I'd bump this thread just in case someone hasn't seen it and they're free this weekend.

I'm going along with pen and booklet to find out all I can from the sailors. I would take my canoe but the weather forecasts howling winds and I don't yet have a sail.

I'll be the one walking about photographing the canoes and rigging, and taking notes.

Bernie accuweather is forecasting 5 mph !!

Sadly I'm working this weekend. Hope you have a great time down there.

(I am however travelling down to Devon the following weekend and am trying to see whether I can fit a paddle in around the family visit which is the ostensible reason for travelling. Bernie, as a local do you happen to know whether launching on the Exe estuary is possible/better from Exmouth or Dawlish Warren if one is arriving an hour or two after low tide? I'm contemplating paddling eastwards along the coast--in a folding kayak rather than a sailing canoe hence my interest in accessibility from stations--or perhaps back up the estuary to Topsham if that fits better with the family commitments. Thanks and apologies for the thread hijack.)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    Bernie accuweather is forecasting 5 mph !!
    You convinced me to take my canoe, which was useful at least to hear what Adam and Warren thought of rigging it. They both said it'll be a good sailing canoe so I'm in!

But, 5mph is not really what we experienced. We arrived and pulled up at reception a little after Warren. He was coming out of reception just as we arrived, so we had a little chat and then I went it in to see what it was all about and to pay my £6.50 canoe launching fee. Soon after that we drove down to park on the grass field beside the lake. It's a nice spot with camping the other side of some trees, and a huge rope climbing arrangement on the other side of yet more trees. But our focus was on the lake in front of us.

As it happens, when I asked my daughter in the morning whether she wanted to come with, she said yes, much to my surprise and delight.

It was fairly windy. I won't hazard a guess at the speed because I'm no good at that, but the wind was clearly visible in the trees around us, and it'd blown up a chop on the lake. We decided to hug the western shoreline and explore some of the coves in the lee of the woods that hug the shoreline.

Here we found the water crystal clear. My paddle is 60" (153cm) and here it's nearly all the way in the water:

After our first venture to the south, we returned to the car for a coffee and some fig rolls. I had two and my daughter scoffed the rest of the pack without me knowing! Still, they get extra treats when they come with me; something's got to make up for having to endure my interests.

We packed our lunch and some other things in a dry bag and returned to the canoe to venture north along the same lee side of the lake. Energised from our coffee break, we ventured into the middle of the lake and once there, we decided to head over to the cafe on the far side. During the crossing we saw Adam in his Solway Dory sailing canoe:

Although the wind was fairly strong, I was impressed with our ability to overcome it with two paddles. My daughter might not be a strong paddler, but she pulls her weight. It made the crossing a lot easier than I had imagined it would be based on my previous experience paddling solo in similar conditions.

We stopped at the floating jetty where Adam soon joined us. We chatted for a while and then he went to get something at the cafe whilst my daughter and I moored up on the lake and had our packed lunch and some instant noodles (she loves them). I was impressed to learn that I can cook the noodles with hot water from a flask well enough in my metal mug with the flask cap on top of the mug to steam them. It drizzled a little, but not enough to wet the canoe or us.

I didn't take as many photos as I hoped to. I was either busy paddling, or just enjoying myself.

After that we returned to the sailing club beach and not long after that Adam arrived as well, but because of the offshore wind situation, he paddled the last few metres.

I was impressed with how much Warren told me about different canoes and rigs. I tried to soak it all in, but I think my mind was all over the place if I'm honest. So many options and so many decisions to make. Here's a photo of Warrens lovely wooden sailing canoe:

Then Adam offered yet again for me to have a go in his canoe and I gave in to my yearning. Sometimes I think my parents taught me to say no too often when offered something I want. So Adam had to remove some hardware in order to attach the outriggers that made me a whole lot more comfortable about the experience.

Once out on the water I was having a BLAST in his canoe, and very very grateful he'd come along to show me the ropes. Erm, I mean SHEETS!

We sailed back and forth a few times, and then up to the cafe jetty again where Adam jumped out and let me sail it on my own!

I was nervous and excited but the canoe handled the gusty conditions just wonderfully. I had an absolute BLAST sailing Adams canoe! Thank you SO much Adam! Since I have no idea how long I was out there for, my sincere apologies if I overstayed the welcome so to speak in your canoe.

I returned to collect Adam and we sailed back. Here's the final photo my poor cold daughter took of us three around Adams canoe. I was sponging out water because it seemed the least I could do after having been given such an exhilarating experience and rare opportunity.

Thanks to Adam and Warren for your advice and words of experience. I'll be calling Solway Dory on Monday. Hey, that's tomorrow!

EDIT: My daughter and I also too some video. My apologies for the buzzing sound my Olympus 770SW makes; I hope you can enjoy them regardless.

Fantastic. It sounds like it was an enjoyable and useful experience for you. I've not met Warin yet but I have met Adam a couple of times and he personifies the friendly nature of the OCSG. When I joined last year I didn't know what to expect at the first meet I went to but I was blown away by how friendly and helpful everyone was and I've not looked back since. I bet you can't wait to get your own canoe set up for sailing?!

Wish I knew you were taking a canoe,I thought you were just walking around so I had a day on the Fowey.Very windy :-/

Had a great day on Roadford lake, blustery conditions with very strong gust at times but it all added to the fun. It was great to see Warin again and his wife and also really nice to meet Bernie and his daughter. Had a blast sailing on the lake, and was delighted to let Bernie have a try out of my sailing canoe (no Bernie you weren't out on it too long at all!) here's the video of the day.

If anyone else would like a try out in a sailing canoe in the South East or South West pm me or better yet come to an OCSG national meet
    Hope to sail with you again soon Bernie, maybe in your local Estuary and keep an eye out for my Dart Estuary meet in August (possibly another local OCSG meet depending on take up)
    Adam
    Last edited by unk tantor; 25th-June-2012 at 05:05 AM.

I'm holidaying down that way for a week in August and would be up for a sail Adam if you organise one. Jane and I have just joined the OCSG but unfortunately the rest of the meets this year are too far north for us to make easily. Good vid by the way!

cheers
    fred

Fredster, also known as The Commodore.

[QUOTE Keep an eye out for my Dart Estuary meet in August (possibly another local OCSG meet depending on take up)
    Adam[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, the Dart estuary - superb!

Here's a link to Dart estuary fun to whet the appetite (apologies to those that have seen it already) http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ailing-canoes)

Steve C

I just got confirmation today from Sharpham Trust that Ashprington Point field is booked for the weekend of August 10th-12th. The field is brilliantly situated on the Dart Estuary.
    This will hopefully be a South West OCSG local meet. The Sharpham Estate, as well as producing fine wines and cheeses also let out this riverside field to groups such as ours . It has very basic facilities such as compost toilets and running water, I'm not sure about washing facilities but I'm sure there will be some elsewhere on the estate the camping is £5 per night under 5's are free. There is car access to the field but only to unload equipment. (not sure what the deal is with camper vans) The site is towards the top of the estuary with the best sailing area below it between point field and Dittisham.
    Fredster if you and your partner want to come along that would be fantastic, and Steve C too. If anyone is interested pm me.
    some footage of the field:

Well, miraculously that ties in nicely with my plans so count me in (and poss Jane too, will confirm later). I'll be arriving in campervan but quite happy to bring a tent and use that.

Fredster, also known as The Commodore.

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Well, miraculously that ties in nicely with my plans so count me in (and poss Jane too, will confirm later). I'll be arriving in campervan but quite happy to bring a tent and use that.
    Brilliant if you can make it, I'll find out about camper vans and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by unk tantor View Post
    I just got confirmation today from Sharpham Trust that Ashprington Point field is booked for the weekend of August 10th-12th. The field is brilliantly situated on the Dart Estuary.

This will hopefully be a South West OCSG local meet. The Sharpham Estate, as well as producing fine wines and cheeses also let out this riverside field to groups such as ours . It has very basic facilities such as compost toilets and running water, I'm not sure about washing facilities but I'm sure there will be some elsewhere on the estate the camping is £5 per night under 5's are free. There is car access to the field but only to unload equipment. (not sure what the deal is with camper vans) The site is towards the top of the estuary with the best sailing area below it between point field and Dittisham.
    Fredster if you and your partner want to come along that would be fantastic, and Steve C too. If anyone is interested pm me.
    Just want to double-check the location, it is here isn't it?

I'll see if I'm not needed/wanted at home that weekend. I'd really like to do this; it's been far too long since I went camping.

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    Just want to double-check the location, it is here isn't it?

I'll see if I'm not needed/wanted at home that weekend. I'd really like to do this; it's been far too long since I went camping.

That's the spot!