Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Llandegfedd Reservoir

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Just of J14 M5
    Posts
    206

    Unhappy Llandegfedd Reservoir

    I thought I would investigate this one after my lack of luck with Chew Valley.

    I rang the warden, after eventually finding their number, to be informed that you cannot take you own canoe on the reservoir. You can sail, windsurf, fish, go on a dinghy and even hire an open canoe!!! Private canoes are not allowed due to H&S.

    I chatted further and found out that they have had a lot problems with "canoests" not sticking to the rules and generally causing a nuisance. So all canoests have been banned

    I think this pretty much applies to all of Welsh Water reservoirs.
    Alec aka Wayne

  2. #2
    monkey_pork's Avatar
    monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    -
    Posts
    4,856

    Default

    I'm afraid that I'd guessed the ending within the first line or two ...


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GL12 View Post
    I thought I would investigate this one after my lack of luck with Chew Valley.

    I rang the warden, after eventually finding their number, to be informed that you cannot take you own canoe on the reservoir. You can sail, windsurf, fish, go on a dinghy and even hire an open canoe!!! Private canoes are not allowed due to H&S.

    I chatted further and found out that they have had a lot problems with "canoests" not sticking to the rules and generally causing a nuisance. So all canoests have been banned

    I think this pretty much applies to all of Welsh Water reservoirs.

    When did you contact them mate I went up there before xmas and spoke to the head warden and he said that there was no problem in me taken my kayak up there and tbh if anything the sailing club are the one's that make the rules , I'll go up there in person in the morning as it's only 10 mins away and find out why the change for as far as I know the only club that used to use it was Croesycyiliog canoe club but they only use it in the summer

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Just of J14 M5
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion1888 View Post
    When did you contact them mate I went up there before xmas and spoke to the head warden and he said that there was no problem in me taken my kayak up there and tbh if anything the sailing club are the one's that make the rules , I'll go up there in person in the morning as it's only 10 mins away and find out why the change for as far as I know the only club that used to use it was Croesycyiliog canoe club but they only use it in the summer
    Yesterday 12 March.

    Interesting that you did not find it a problem. I have also seen on a website that canoeing was banned in 2004, hence why I took the trouble to call first.

    Thanks, I will very interested to hear what happens.

    To be honest, I thought it would be nice place to take the children for a paddle and a picnic. They can also practice in relative safety, no current etc.
    Alec aka Wayne

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GL12 View Post
    Yesterday 12 March.

    Interesting that you did not find it a problem. I have also seen on a website that canoeing was banned in 2004, hence why I took the trouble to call first.

    Thanks, I will very interested to hear what happens.

    To be honest, I thought it would be nice place to take the children for a paddle and a picnic. They can also practice in relative safety, no current etc.

    GL12
    I've just got back after speaking to warden up at the reservior and he say's that you can go up there but you must have all the correct safety gear as they don't want to encourage people that have just brought dinghies of the like's of ebay or from the supermarket but if your a club then that's better but what he did say is that some parts of the reservoir are off limits due to the other activites on there and if there is any hassle at all about being on there it will only be from folk at the sailing club who think that they have the devine right to be the only one's on there ,the wardens words not mine.
    As for canoes being banned they can't be as when I go up there with my wife and son for a picnic I have seen canoes on there as they hire them out , hope this helps.

    Sion

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Just of J14 M5
    Posts
    206

    Thumbs up Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion1888 View Post
    GL12
    I've just got back after speaking to warden up at the reservior and he say's that you can go up there but you must have all the correct safety gear as they don't want to encourage people that have just brought dinghies of the like's of ebay or from the supermarket but if your a club then that's better but what he did say is that some parts of the reservoir are off limits due to the other activites on there and if there is any hassle at all about being on there it will only be from folk at the sailing club who think that they have the devine right to be the only one's on there ,the wardens words not mine.
    As for canoes being banned they can't be as when I go up there with my wife and son for a picnic I have seen canoes on there as they hire them out , hope this helps.

    Sion
    Sion - your'e a star

    If the weather is good, I may give it a go this Sunday!?!

    Thanks
    Alec aka Wayne

  7. #7

    Default Actual Llandegfedd Reservoir rules as of 2017

    I go to Llandegfedd Reservoir a few times each year to canoe with the last time being summer of 2017.

    You can take all of your own equipment there i.e. sail boats, windsurfs etc. however personal canoes and kayaks are not permitted. The only way you can kayak or canoe is if you hire it from the people who run the office at the launch pad.

    The other down side is that due to the fact that the water is owned by Welsh Water but the surrounding land is not owned by them you are not allowed to dock up and get out of your canoes anywhere around the reservoir apart from on the launch ramp...

    Quote Originally Posted by GL12 View Post
    I thought I would investigate this one after my lack of luck with Chew Valley.

    I rang the warden, after eventually finding their number, to be informed that you cannot take you own canoe on the reservoir. You can sail, windsurf, fish, go on a dinghy and even hire an open canoe!!! Private canoes are not allowed due to H&S.

    I chatted further and found out that they have had a lot problems with "canoests" not sticking to the rules and generally causing a nuisance. So all canoests have been banne

    I think this pretty much applies to all of Welsh Water reservoirs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •